Upsell offer on O

Homala

Just got an email from HAL about our upcoming cruise - we booked an SZ guaranty and the offer is SA, SB or SC for an additional $999/person. Seems pretty pricey to me, even though it is a 14 day cruise. I'm tempted, because I would LOVE to be in a deluxe suite! But it just doesn't seem like $999/pp is that great of an offer.

What do you think? Am I silly to pass it up? I know this sort of thing is very subjective, but I'm just curious if any of you would go for it. :)

Just got an email from HAL about our upcoming cruise - we booked an SZ guaranty and the offer is SA, SB or SC for an additional $999/person. Seems pretty pricey to me, even though it is a 14 day cruise. I'm tempted, because I would LOVE to be in a deluxe suite! But it just doesn't seem like $999/pp is that great of an offer.

What do you think? Am I silly to pass it up? I know this sort of thing is very subjective, but I'm just curious if any of you would go for it. :)

Counter offer, the least they can do is not accept.

$2000 seems steep to me. I'd pass on it. Others may disagree. Of course, I don't know what your fare was for the SZ. It'll be fun to read the responses.

Very expensicve upsell. Way too much!

Last April, we upsold on the Oosterdam 14-day cruisse from an SZ guarantee to an SC guarantee for $300 per person and, two days later, we were upgraded to an SB for no additional money.

You should counteroffer and wait them out.

OK - I just called and was told that it IS at least an SA, but when I countered - I offered $500/pp - she said she couldn't budge on the price, because this was their first day of offering them. She said there may be future offers for less, so I'll watch my email (like a hawk). :o

Thanks for your opinions - much appreciated! At least I don't feel like a fool for passing it up.

OK - I just called and was told that it IS at least an SA, but when I countered - I offered $500/pp - she said she couldn't budge on the price, because this was their first day of offering them. She said there may be future offers for less, so I'll watch my email (like a hawk). :o

Thanks for your opinions - much appreciated! At least I don't feel like a fool for passing it up.

Smart move, IMHO. I'm waiting for the same SZ upgrade/upsell offer for my 12/4 7 day cruise. When does yours leave?

I've got it in my head not to pay more than $250 pp.

Sounds a bit high to me, considering they are seeking you out.

On the other hand, I was just looking at a 17 day Panama cruise and the difference from SY to SC was $1600 each, so the $999 is not bad in comparison if you get an SA.

Thanks - I know it's silly, but I do appreciate when you pros think it was a smart move.

Ours leaves on November 12th - 14 days roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii.

I just called my DH and he was tempted to take it, but we both ended up agreeing that we'll wait and hope for a better offer down the road. And even if we don't get the "magic upgrade fairy dust" sprinkled upon us, I'm sure we'll be happy in the SZ.

About the comment that $999/pp really isn't a bad deal - I agree! It's still significantly cheaper than had we booked the SA to begin with. That's why it's a little hard to pass up. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a better offer in the coming weeks.

I couldn't resist looking it up - had we booked an SA to begin with, total price would have been $12,398 ($6,199 per person). If we took this upgrade offer, we'd still be saving over $4,600 over the original price. So it IS a good deal. Just more than I'm willing to cough up at this time. ;)

Thanks - I know it's silly, but I do appreciate when you pros think it was a smart move.

Ours leaves on November 12th - 14 days roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii.

I just called my DH and he was tempted to take it, but we both ended up agreeing that we'll wait and hope for a better offer down the road. And even if we don't get the "magic upgrade fairy dust" sprinkled upon us, I'm sure we'll be happy in the SZ.

With just two SZs on the ship the odds are good for some kind of upgrade, most likely to an SS.

Good point - we very likely will get upgraded to at least the SY or SS. That's what we did for our first cruise - booked the SZ and got an SS. We were happy with it, so we certainly won't complain if that's what we get this time.

It's my job to remind you that a sale is not about how much you didn't have to spend that you never intended to spend anyway; it's about how much you did spend.

sigh. That hurt me too.

Hmmm, ya think I can sell my wife on that idea????

LOL

It's my job to remind you that a sale is not about how much you didn't have to spend that you never intended to spend anyway; it's about how much you did spend.

sigh. That hurt me too.

Yeah, that hurts. DH already reminded me about that, too. (But aren't there different rules for clothes and shoes?) :D

We've been offered upsells from SS and SY to SA suites on four consecutive cruises in which they all cost $199 pp. Three were for seven days and the last one in January was for 10 days. All of the final offers came 12-14 days before our cruise as I passed on the higher offerings. It seems a little high for a 14 day cruise as I'd wait a couple more weeks.

We've been offered upsells from SS and SY to SA suites on four consecutive cruises in which they all cost $199 pp. Three were for seven days and the last one in January was for 10 days. All of the final offers came 12-14 days before our cruise as I passed on the higher offerings. It seems a little high for a 14 day cruise as I'd wait a couple more weeks.

Thanks - I love hearing those stories! I will keep my fingers crossed that this was just the first offer and that a sweeter one will come along. I thought it was pretty early for an offer - still over 4 weeks until the cruise.

Thanks to you all for your opinions - very much appreciated!

I think the SZ looks really nice, great veranda. If the upgrade was for an aft facing SB I would take it in a heartbeat if the price is right, but I don't think there is anything more wonderful than an aft facing veranda. Can't wait to hear what you decide. Cherie

I highlighted the note 'at least an SA', so that means what, an SA or PH? Then the price might be worthwhile.

Sorry - I wasn't clear on that. The offer IS for an SA. I meant "at least" meaning that it wasn't an SB or SC, because the email wasn't clear - it said SA/SB/SC. Yeah, if it was a penthouse, then I'd go for it and cough up the extra two grand.

We have booked a SZ guar. on the O, 7day, Dec 31 New Years eve. The first guar. we have ever booked. It was less expensive than a VB. Huh?? I don't think I will go for any upgrade, odds are it will happen anyway with only two SZs on the ship. If not, I am happy with the SZ. Only downside I can see is if we get an SS on the Nav deck.

Jim

Archived