Dengue Fever

Traveling Bob

I got the following from Princess today: "We would like to advise you of widespread activity of dengue fever reported throughout the Caribbean region, with the Bahamas reporting the greatest activity over the past two months. ..."

Has anyone heard any more about this? Have there been cases of cruise passengers getting Dengue? :eek:

Not good news. Thanks for the post I will look into it. My mother had Dengue Fever many years ago. She got it in Tortola. Anyone can get it including cruise passengers as it is carried by mosquito. I think it was last year in Key West there were 34 cases of Dengue Fever.

Put on your mosquito repellant folks. Thanks for posting this though- hadn't known this. And since my son and I have probably already had a case of it, it puts us at greater risk for serious illness. As they noted, it is only after you have had 2 forms of it that it generally becomes very serious and potentially deadly. note to self- pack the repellant- lots of it

I wonder what the chance is that a Mosquito could get into a Cabin while the ship is in Port?

Think that along my bug spray I will also pack a fly swatter in case I have to hunt down one flying around in the cabin.

Bob

I wonder what the chance is that a Mosquito could get into a Cabin while the ship is in Port?

Think that along my bug spray I will also pack a fly swatter in case I have to hunt down one flying around in the cabin.

Bob

Just don't leave your balcony door open, and it won't be a problem. In over 40 cruises, I think we have had three flying critters enter our cabin through the balcony door, and those were flies. Never any Mosquitos. :)

I've posted this before, but will post again.

This is OLD news. They are about 3 months late. We had an epidemic during the summer months that peaked in August.

We've had only a handful in the last 2 months. None from the tourist area. Gov't spraying and clean up has been underway for months.

The season has changed.

If you're concerned, skin so soft and a citronella bracelet will do the trick unless you're going out into the bush.

CDC dropped the ball in getting this info out in a timely fashion. They are playing catch up.

puerto rico, Aruba, bonaire, south Florida, and hawaii also have posted warnings.

I got the following from Princess today: "We would like to advise you of widespread activity of dengue fever reported throughout the Caribbean region, with the Bahamas reporting the greatest activity over the past two months. ..."

Has anyone heard any more about this? Have there been cases of cruise passengers getting Dengue? :eek:

We received the same emergency notice this morning. Dengue fever comes in waves depending on the season in the tropics. I have seen cases of it in urban Mexico and it is not something that you want to catch. I am not going to get into debates with others on this board so just heed the warning and follow what Princess said in the email that you received.

Very high, I would think. A mozzie flew out of my case on my return to the UK after a trip away. Fortunately, all the windows were closed, and I made sure it didn't last long enough to breed! However, it just goes to show how easy it is to inadvertently import a non-native species.

You are unlikely to be "out and about" during the prime "mosquito hours"...and if you're not in the "wilds" of a country, you're even less likely to encounter denque fever. I certainly wouldn't let it concern me.

With all due respect, the research I did indicated the Dengue carrying mosquitoes are day time feeders, not dusk/dawn as with most species. Be cautious, please. Use bug spray, follow CDC recommendations. God Bless.

With all due respect, the research I did indicated the Dengue carrying mosquitoes are day time feeders, not dusk/dawn as with most species. Be cautious, please. Use bug spray, follow CDC recommendations. God Bless.

I agree with CoastalCounseling...no one is saying anything will happen, which it probably won't and the risk is probably very minimal, but just be cautious..its your health and your loved ones that is at risk, it is not worth throwing caution to the wind over..just use your sunscreen and then spray on your mosquito spray that has Deet on top..and reapply often..don't forget to reapply..they also have bracelets or clips that you can buy..I saw them at Walmart..sorta high..8 dollars each..we may buy us two to clip on our clothing as well when we are on our excursions...might be silly I know, but I work at a hospital so I am used to putting safety first..I also get my flu shot every year and wash my hands alot lol

My ex got Dengue while traveling in Peru. He is a kidney transplant patient and was always super cautious because his health was more delicate than the average joe. I'll be darned if the mosquito didn't find the one spot near his sock line that didnt get soaked with repellent. It was a scary few days in the hospital (back in the US), but today he is no worse for wear. Please be careful and make sure you use a good repellent on all your exposed bits!

I've posted this before, but will post again.

This is OLD news. They are about 3 months late. We had an epidemic during the summer months that peaked in August.

We've had only a handful in the last 2 months. None from the tourist area. Gov't spraying and clean up has been underway for months.

The season has changed.

If you're concerned, skin so soft and a citronella bracelet will do the trick unless you're going out into the bush.

CDC dropped the ball in getting this info out in a timely fashion. They are playing catch up.

puerto rico, Aruba, bonaire, south Florida, and hawaii also have posted warnings.

I wouldn't blame Princess for "Old News" they only got back to sailing the caribbean a week or so ago..so it really wasn't an issue before then.

Archived