Travel insurance - £2 million?

wdwendyd

Here is what it states on the P&O website:

"It is a condition of the Contract that every passenger must have valid travel insurance (which must cover for pre-existing medical conditions) in force for the entire duration of the Package. The insurance policy must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million."

On researching travel insurance, I have found £2 million is way higher than what is offered. Am I just looking at the wrong travel insurance sites? What are other cruisers doing about insurance?

Thank you!

Wendy

Our travel insurance comes free with our CC and covers us for medical care up to £10,000,000.

It is an excellent policy and paid out just a couple of weeks ago when I had to cancel a holiday due to Achilles Tendonitis. Unfortunately that particular CC is no longer available.

£2,000,000 wouldn't feel sufficient to me - especially in the USA.

Our travel insurance comes free with our CC and covers us for medical care up to £10,000,000.

It is an excellent policy and paid out just a couple of weeks ago when I had to cancel a holiday due to Achilles Tendonitis. Unfortunately that particular CC is no longer available.

£2,000,000 wouldn't feel sufficient to me - especially in the USA.

You could try a certain bank's Premier Account as we have ours free with them. Sounds like the same policy you are talking about so you could look into your CC banking services instead.

On reading other threads it appears that Americans have one insurance for medical problems and another for repatriation. Our worldwide cover is usually £5,000,000 or £10,000,000 to cover America especially.

Could be the reason for the discrepency?

Very few Americans use P&O and maybe OP can ask on Princess Board where several travel to Europe especially "Pam in CA"

I think US and UK travel insurance is worked out differently. As others have mentioned it's fairly common to have travel insurance in the UK with limits of 5 or 10 million pound, again this is mainly to cover travellers in the USA and Canada.

My annual travel insurance for my wife and I is worldwide inc. USA and Canada and as a limit of £10m, and it only cost £50 for the year. This covers delays, lost baggage, stolen passports etc.

You could try a certain bank's Premier Account as we have ours free with them. Sounds like the same policy you are talking about so you could look into your CC banking services instead.

Thanks for that - though I probably wasn't clear in my post.

We do have travel insurance with our H**C Premier Card, though we don't tend to use that, as it has a cancellation limit of £5,000pp and we sometimes need more.

We still have, and use an H**C Gold M***ercard, which is no longer available to new customers and that has a higher total cancellation limit.

They both provide excellent cover and service - but for us the higher limit means we use the Goldcard.

Thank you everyone for your fast replies! There are some great suggestions here and I will give them a try. I'm sure you're right that I am having problems because things are set up differently in the US. It isn't that I don't want the insurance, just that I am having trouble finding ones that give high enough coverage.

I am going over to the Princess boards right now and will let you know what I find out.

I have always been advised that £10 million should be the type of cover you need for medical treatment especially travel to the US.

They are not traveling to US, they are Americans coming to Europe.

The OP now has some good responses from the Travel Board.

I posted over on the Princess board as gettingwarmer suggested and got lots of help. What I learned was:

-UK insurance companies are not allowed to let Americans buy their insurance

-UK policies cover you for a much larger amount but charge way lower premiums

-It sounds like if I just get a typical amount of travel insurance (more like 1 million dollars instead of 2 million pounds) from a US travel insurance company, P&O will most likely be okay with that

Thank you to everyone for your help!

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

I did write to P&O and he just reiterated that, "...every passenger must have valid travel insurance (which must cover for pre-existing medical conditions) in force for the entire duration of the Package. The insurance policy must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million."

I used cruiseco's advice (from the Princess board) and went to imglobal for the IMG Patriot Platinum Travel Insurance. It looks like it will work!

https://purchase.imglobal.com/PlanDe...enefitsContent

Thank you so much for everyone's help!

Archived