Urging Oceania to sponsor CC M & G

pacheco18

I appreciate all these "textbook" lessons but we do not need a lesson on how to do this, folks.

This is not rocket science as they say.

We have about 200 people (how much collectively have they spent to take this cruise?) who want to meet in a room wearing name tags and all we want is for the cruise line to identify a venue where we can meet so we can notify everyone before we depart. No food. No drink. No staff.

Why shouldn't O assist us with this very simple request that costs them nothing?

We have been to lots of "meet and greets" from other cruise lines and the cruise lines take care of everything. Some provide iced tea and pretzels, others provide nothing other than a space to meet. The social hostess and usually the captain or assistant captain stops by. It is a nice perk that costs the cruiseline next to nothing or even makes them a profit if somebody orders a drink. I don't know why Oceania makes such a big deal about it.

Cruise critic can be a headache to a cruise line, when they mess up, but it can be a wealth of information and a boon to the cruise line. I read reviews of an expensive excursion only offered through the ship on cruise critic, which I normally would have passed on, but the postings were so positive, that I signed on and when aboard, mentioned it to others and Oceania probably go about 10 extra bookings (and $2500), just because of the site.

Making it difficult for people from this board who just want to meet up does not make any sense. Oceania may want to appear different from the more "main stream lines", but in this case it is a mistake.

We have been to lots of "meet and greets" from other cruise lines and the cruise lines take care of everything. Some provide iced tea and pretzels, others provide nothing other than a space to meet. The social hostess and usually the captain or assistant captain stops by. It is a nice perk that costs the cruiseline next to nothing or even makes them a profit if somebody orders a drink. I don't know why Oceania makes such a big deal about it.

Cruise critic can be a headache to a cruise line, when they mess up, but it can be a wealth of information and a boon to the cruise line. I read reviews of an expensive excursion only offered through the ship on cruise critic, which I normally would have passed on, but the postings were so positive, that I signed on and when aboard, mentioned it to others and Oceania probably go about 10 extra bookings (and $2500), just because of the site.

Oceania may want to appear different from the more "main stream lines", but in this case it is a mistake.

Thank you. Thank you. Is anyone from Oceania reading this?

"Making it difficult for people from this board who just want to meet up does not make any sense."

We have about 200 people (how much collectively have they spent to take this cruise?) who want to meet in a room wearing name tags and all we want is for the cruise line to identify a venue where we can meet so we can notify everyone before we depart. No food. No drink. No staff.

Why shouldn't O assist us with this very simple request that costs them nothing?

In the past we have just posted a time to meet in Horizons (the largest space to meet) usualy after muster drill

If there is something going on there you can move to one side of the room

I did warn Keith (concierge) on Marina we would be there after life boat drill in case they wanted to provide extra staff

We did try to do a more organized M & G with invites but somehow it got lost between the cracks & we ended up with invites sent for the 2 nd to last night of the cruise.

My advice is plan a time /place & just let the ship deal with it when you arrive. :rolleyes:

Lyn

And, I'm here to tell you that getting cabin numbers from some folks is like pulling teeth. Apparently the fear of ever giving any personal information is so ingrained in some folks that they don't want their real names associated with a cabin number on a secure ship in the middle of the ocean. I can't imagine what any reader of Cruise Critic could do with such earth-shattering personal information!

I've gathered the list for several cruises, and the best solution I've come up with is having those folks send a private email with their last names and cabin numbers, information that will never be published and only turned over to the concierge once aboard the ship (even that doesn't work all the time; I've had folks say they would rather miss the event than send their information privately).

I agree with you

I will not post cabin numbers or surnames on the Roll Call but some people do not want to give even first names

"just tell me when & where" they say

If I do not know the details hard to pass along :D

Lyn

Azamara has great M & M parties and seems to value Cruise Critic guests. I think the loyalty host/hostess arranges it.

I wonder how they would arrange one on Oceania :rolleyes:

Not the same company or policies no point in telling people what other lines do or do not do if they are not on that cruise line

So everyone that wants a sponsored M & G party should cancel & book with Azamara

Picking a cruise line is more that just some free drinks to me

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience -- and I am not shy about much. I have been told that we must check with the concierge once on board-- not a good solution. The person who is handling this for the November TA has contacts at O corporate and is having difficulty getting an answer.

Maybe if FDR is reading this he will want to help our very large group! LOLOL

as well!! Wait until you board and talk to the concierge. I also don't understand O's decision on this....I'm just off a HAL Trans Pacific and the corportate office was more than happy to provide CC a space, coffee and cookies, and many of the staff officers came by to say hello...then helped me to arrange a CC luncheon as well as a farewell M&G...I have also had this type of corporation with Princess and Celebrity. Azamara provides a fantastic cocktail and "munchie" event with the Captain and everyone else stopping by!!!!

What gives? Just asking for a venue for a get together should not be an inconvience to O....you're right...your not asking for drinks/food etc just the help of getting VERY loyal cruisers together.!!!!

I met Frank on the Marina T/A in March...and he recognized my name and was very cordial....and we all know that he/or staff reads CC. I think your/ our request for consideration is a valid one! LuAnn

Thank you. Thank you. Is anyone from Oceania reading this?

"Making it difficult for people from this board who just want to meet up does not make any sense."

I was just thinking while reading this thread...there are many "special" interest groups that meet on board...think Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy, Veterans, country groups (Canadians etc.), PEO etc. I don't understand those who think that providing CCers a place to JUST meet...is leaving out 99 % of the other passengers...and therefore not a good corporate decision ....because I think these other M&GS would leave out 99% of other passengers as well???

I'm not sure that "knowing the right" people is the answer...I contacted Nick DiSanti last year and had his full cooperation for the T/A on Regatta and then this year....no...on Marina's spring T/A....so....who would be the "right" people????..and why sould we at CC have to play this kind of game in the first place??? LuAnn

I wonder how they would arrange one on Oceania :rolleyes:

Not the same company or policies no point in telling people what other lines do or do not do if they are not on that cruise line

So everyone that wants a sponsored M & G party should cancel & book with Azamara

Picking a cruise line is more that just some free drinks to me

that's what the poster meant to convey...but that another line, with small ships, can and do want to provide this service!! To be honest I don't think anyone is talking about "free drinks"....if we can afford to be on an O cruise I don't think any of us are worried about that...just cooperation to have a get together! LuAnn

I guess I will chime in with a few assorted comments...

First, as to Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara, they take a somewhat different approach to Cruise Critic than some other lines...

In their minds, due to the nature of the internet, sharing of information, reviews, recommendations and other exchanges that happen on Cruise Critic, they view Cruise Critic as somewhat of a valuable marketing tool in a way (They actually took a lot of flak a few years back because of some comments one RCI executive made about "Viral Marketing")...but, in all honesty, all they were really saying is that "word of mouth" on these boards is actually a fairly effective marketing tool...People do Google searches and find reviews here on Cruise Critic, so this group is a pretty influential bunch compared to many other "groups" one might find onboard...So...they recognized a desire to keep us happy and to encourage us to feel pleased with their cruise lines...

We actually had the President of Royal Caribbean show up at one of our meet and greets on the Mariner of the Seas! The guy stayed for over an hour talking to everyone...

On my many RCCL/Celebrity cruises, we've never had a cruise where we've failed to sign up the minimum 25 guests...and go considerably beyond that...

They DON'T supply "free drinks" other than coffee, tea and juice...They also supply some appetizers or pastries -- but, you do realize the same food is already available at no extra charge up in the buffet, so "added cost" is not a big deal...Anyone wants to order a "paid drink" and it is no different than ordering at any bar onboard.

Now, I have also been part of organizing meet and greets on Princess and Carnival--where the cruise lines don't assist in any official way...and on Oceania...

The real issues are not setting up any food or special service, but issues of logistics--WHERE and WHEN to meet...

The biggest difference between doing this on, say, Princess and doing it on Oceania is really the size of the ship and the number of available venues...

As to WHEN, the obvious answer in almost all cases is AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...The only logical times, for the purposes of most of us, is to do it on the FIRST at sea day, assuming there is one up front on your sailing...or on the embarkation day...

Why? Because the most useful part of the M&G is not just to have a social hour, but to actually connect with those folks with whom you might have planned tours or activities...maybe to find others if you have availability on a planned tour or to find someone with availability...to connect up to iron out various logistics...

So, it is really imperative to not only do it fairly soon--before all of your port stops--but also to ORGANIZE AND ARRANGE IT PRIOR TO embarkation...

So, once you've realized, by virtue of your itinerary, what date and time you have to hold it, you need a PLACE...

Problem is, that with a smaller ship and fewer available venues, the risk of deciding, in a vacuum without participation by the cruise line, is that you just do not know which of the limited venues will be available...

As far as we could tell for our recent Marina cruise, one of the few limited possibilities was Horizons right after the Muster Drill...Now we had about 40-60 people, but we really didn't know who else was showing up at Horizons at that time...It is a popular location from which to watch Sailaway...So, we had to get there fast and sort of "stake out" a portion of the room...

It worked out for us, but I could see where it might not...For example, if Oceania had some unknown use for that space at that time...or if just a mob of other people limited organizing any particular space...

So, what you would really hope for from Oceania...beside wheeling out (nonalcoholic) drinks and snacks or somehow sending a representative to run the show...would be to just help with perhaps establishing a LOCATION and TIME on the ship and, maybe, cordoning off a room or a portion of a room of a size reasonable to accommodate the number of Cruise Critic members anticipated...and letting us know some time before the cruise where and when that might be...

If someone would say...If you have 25+ people expected, we will section off an area in the front, starboard of Horizons from 5:30 to 6:15 on embarkation day and it's yours! Then, all one would have to do is to make sure it is posted on the Roll Call: "Meet & Greet...Front Starboard Horizons Deck 15 5:30 pm Embarkation Day"...

That would pretty much do it...we could take the rest from there...

I think that is all anyone here is asking...

If someone would say...If you have 25+ people expected, we will section off an area in the front, starboard of Horizons from 5:30 to 6:15 on embarkation day and it's yours! Then, all one would have to do is to make sure it is posted on the Roll Call: "Meet & Greet...Front Starboard Horizons Deck 15 5:30 pm Embarkation Day"...

That would pretty much do it...we could take the rest from there...

I think that is all anyone here is asking...

That is exactly all we are asking -- just give us a time and place on the first sea day -- and we'll do the rest. Actually, they could make some money if they had a bar set up but that's not necessary.

I'm still hoping O sees the light. Otherwise, as Lyn said, we will just show up somewhere en masse and let O deal with it.

I also don't understand O's decision on this....I'm just off a HAL Trans Pacific and the corportate office was more than happy to provide CC a space, coffee and cookies, and many of the staff officers came by to say hello...then helped me to arrange a CC luncheon as well as a farewell M&G...I have also had this type of corporation with Princess and Celebrity. Azamara provides a fantastic cocktail and "munchie" event with the Captain and everyone else stopping by!!!!

What gives? Just asking for a venue for a get together should not be an inconvience to O....you're right...your not asking for drinks/food etc just the help of getting VERY loyal cruisers together.!!!!

I met Frank on the Marina T/A in March...and he recognized my name and was very cordial....and we all know that he/or staff reads CC. I think your/ our request for consideration is a valid one!

I was just thinking while reading this thread...there are many "special" interest groups that meet on board...think Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy, Veterans, country groups (Canadians etc.), PEO etc. I don't understand those who think that providing CCers a place to JUST meet...is leaving out 99 % of the other passengers...and therefore not a good corporate decision ....because I think these other M&GS would leave out 99% of other passengers as well???

I'm not sure that "knowing the right" people is the answer...I contacted Nick DiSanti last year and had his full cooperation for the T/A on Regatta and then this year....no...on Marina's spring T/A....so....who would be the "right" people????..and why sould we at CC have to play this kind of game in the first place??? LuAnn

I agree with you LuAnn (and all the others) who are puzzled by O's attitude about M&G. Especially when no other services are requested than a space; and there is a potential for a lot of extra revenue for O (think of 200 people on Pacheco18's M&G and many of them ordering drinks).

O wants to be different from other cruise lines and is very successful in doing that, but this is not the venue to choose to be different, IMO.

We all know that FDR (and others from O) read these boards and the CC has done a lot to help to spread the "good word" about Oceania. A space for a CC M&G is the least O can do for many of their loyal customers.

I was on a B2B on Marina and tried to get information from the concierge about activities (time & space) for the first 2 days of my second segment so I could confirm whether our scheduled M&G time would be OK - I received no such help, although I suspect that the activities for the first day of next cruise (and probably for the second day as well) were known at the end of the 1st segment.

FDR has made many great decisions that make O so wonderful - I wonder what the real issue is with providing SPACE for M&G.

Wow, lots of interest in this thread.

On the off chance that someone at O is reading this thread, I'll just add my own input, that YES, I would love it if O would identify an appropriate venue for M&G's. No, I would not expect O to provide food or anything that costs money, but just a nice place to meet up would be great.

On our upcoming cruise, our group is putting together our own informal M&G.

Wow, lots of interest in this thread.

On the off chance that someone at O is reading this thread. . .

I cannot believe people at O are not seeing this. We know they monitor these boards.

I am hoping for a response to my letter to O's President or perhaps a nice post by FDR, offering us a venue (nothing more) for our Marina TA.

I'll even use my OBC to pay for cleanup! LOLOL

This thread has gone from wanting Oceania to host a party to just wanting them to provide space :confused::confused:

They have spaces available for all to enjoy so just pick one for the size of your group if you just want a space

Show up at the time you specify, why stress out about it :rolleyes:

Places to go:

On Marina

Martini's or the Grand Bar hallway, Waves bar are good for small groups

Horizons for larger groups

R-ships

Martinis & Waves bar for small groups GDR bar if before dinner for small groups

Horizons for larger groups

Oceania management has stated that no hosted parties are in their future plans

The waitstaff onboard will serve you as best they can

People have managed so since they stopped hosting the Yahoo group parties half a dozen years ago;)

Lyn

I'm almost positive I already outlined exactly how to get that space and invitations to that space. Perhaps I included too many details and therefore turned people off from reading it?

I thought I and others also covered exactly why it's better to wait until you are on board. Some have reported they got no cooperation once on board, but some people also say they can't get extra specialty reservations and other things -- perhaps it's either who they asked or they way they asked?

Asking the shore staff in Miami to provide a space on board ship many months in the future is probably an exercise in futility. Even the other cruise lines that sponsor such events don't guarantee the exact location on board -- that's up to the ship's staff.

At this point, I'm afraid I've lost the entire thread of thought regarding M & G's - I got the impression first that the posters were asking Oceania to provide (i.e. PAY) for a complete party - drinks and a blessing from the Captain!

Then, it turns out that maybe I was mistaken and it only had to do with finding proper space to meet. Since I've done several of these CC's in the past, that's never been a problem. The ship's staff has always been helpful and sometimes even made useful suggestions.

If everyone agrees to go for a day and time that are not the Departure date, then the following day or two has just fine. We've always posted in CC where and when and had no conflict. Room numbers proved to be a waste of time, not too many wanted theirs made public. So - all details were worked out in advance - rather than make waves after boarding. Most of the staff was far too busy that day anyway.....

If everyone agrees to go for a day and time that are not the Departure date, then the following day or two has just fine. We've always posted in CC where and when and had no conflict. ]

Exactly our plan. Meet on the first sea day. But you can only post the location on CC if you know before you go.

Therein lies the problem. O does not cooperate in identifying an available venue before you board. I am hoping to change that. It is a policy that most agree makes absolutely no sense.

...I got the impression first that the posters were asking Oceania to provide (i.e. PAY) for a complete party - drinks and a blessing from the Captain!.....

I am not sure where you (and some others) started pulling this "Complete party with drinks" thing from...

Laraine clearly stated in her original post that she was asking for "...giving us a location to meet so we can notify everyone before departure..."

And, the problem both you and Don seem to be missing, is with this notion that all of this can be handled AFTER one boards...

Take a look at most of O's itineraries...They are, for the most part, fairly port-intensive...Few of them have at sea days up front...Pretty much right into port on day two...

The imperative to hold a meet & greet EARLY...before stopping at ports...is that many of us use Cruise Critic to connect with fellow members to arrange PORT TOURS...There is a need to get together and hammer out logistics, to meet your tour mates in person and other practical functions of the meet & greet...

So, rather than trying to get to the ship, find someone to help print out and distribute invitations and picking a date further along in the cruise, it is NECESSARY to be able to post the "where and when" info ON THE ROLL CALL prior to everyone leaving home.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do send out invitations, but they ALSO post the time, date and locations on the website in advance...

Now, it is correct that OFTEN one can just choose a time and a location on the ship and have everyone just show up...However, there are people who have posted that they have done this and have had it NOT work...That they have shown up to discover some conflicting event has been scheduled by the cruise line for the same time and space...

And THAT is the rather simple problem the OP and others want to fix...and it is not remedied by WAITING until some time after boarding OR by just picking a place and showing up and hoping for the best.

Nobody is asking for free alcohol...Celebrity/Royal/Azamara doesn't do that...but they do roll out a coffee urn and a couple of pitchers of juice on a cart...or a tray of pastries--that they are serving at the same time in the buffet anyway...The bar may be open--and they make money off of that...

I don't know that Oceania deems Cruise Critic as important...or whether it just is too hard for them to deal with logistically...or whether they are that afraid of other groups asking for the same until it gets out of hand (which certainly hasn't happened on Celebrity/RCI)...

But, what was being asked for here (not what some of you have gotten carried away imagining) is not really all that much...

No one has asked for a dedicated page on the website and the administration of a sign-up system (as there is on Celebrity/RCI), just that IF requested...Say, someone from the Roll Call emails O and says "We have 30 ...or 50 or 200...members of Cruise Critic who would like to hold a meet and greet embarkation day either just prior to or just following the muster drill (for example), can you help us with a location so that WE can publicize it to our members?", then perhaps O COULD cooperate with that...

That is ALL that was being asked...

[quote name=

And, the problem both you and Don seem to be missing, is with this notion that all of this can be handled AFTER one boards...

The imperative to hold a meet & greet EARLY.

So, rather than trying to get to the ship, find someone to help print out and distribute invitations and picking a date further along in the cruise, it is NECESSARY to be able to post the "where and when" info ON THE ROLL CALL prior to everyone leaving home.

Now, it is correct that OFTEN one can just choose a time and a location on the ship and have everyone just show up...However, there are people who have posted that they have done this and have had it NOT work...

And THAT is the rather simple problem the OP and others want to fix...and it is not remedied by WAITING until some time after boarding OR by just picking a place and showing up and hoping for the best.

Nobody is asking for free alcohol..y...The bar may be open--and they make money off of that...

But, what was being asked for here (not what some of you have gotten carried away imagining) is not really all that much...

. . . can you help us with a location so that WE can publicize it to our members?", then perhaps O COULD cooperate with that...

That is ALL that was being asked...[/quote]

THANK YOU, STEVE!! You certainly get it!

Maybe we are lucky but for our upcoming cruise we just scheduled a meeting time in Horizons on the sailing day (We sail at 10pm)

I posted my e-mail on the roll call and everyone e-mailed me their cruise critic handle, name and cabin number.

I have made up a list to hand out to those who show up.

No one objected to providing the info (Made it clear it would not be posted on CC).

Those who did not want to be on the list are welcome to show up at the gathering but we will have no record of them.

We will then see about a follow up get together a couple of days later once we speak with the concierge/cruise director or whoever. Hopefully they will help chose a time and place and to send out notes to the cabins of record.

We tried not to make a mountain out of a mole hill!!

Archived