Urging Oceania to sponsor CC M & G

pacheco18

Annoying for anyone else who wanted to sit there as the group let you know in no uncertain terms that you were not welcome in the lounge.

They kept you out of the entire lounge or just a certain area? Horizons is pretty big on the Marina.

We did have a great time and thank you for organizing it, LuAnn.

I still can't believe that the concierge wanted to charge us for the use of the cordless mike:confused:; but we heard you loud and clear without it:D

Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Paul

LuAnn - I concur w/what Paul said and also the great job on the cabin crawl and luncheon by you and others. Also hope to see both of you again on a future trip. Until then, safe journeys.

Annoying for anyone else who wanted to sit there as the group let you know in no uncertain terms that you were not welcome in the lounge.

I would have been having a chat with the hotel/General manager

If they have large Alumni groups they should give them times to use the Marina lounge so they are not taking away from the enjoyment of others in Horizons

On 1 cruise they had the use of the GDR for their get togethers but not during meal times

I'm thinking that the main problem with any large group is that they do tend to hog things. I've heard complaints about this since the beginning of Oceania. Not regarding every cruise, of course, but enough of them. But is the cruiseline supposed to ban bookings of more than 25 cabins to one group? I don't see that happening! They want to sell those cabins.

But it would be nice if in some way participants in those large groups could realize that the ship isn't only meant for their pleasure and that the rest of us are not interlopers.

I also wonder about the rationale of a M&G with 200 or more people. On our NCL T/A last year we had one with 100 people (and yes, all the officers were there and gave little talks, and we had free coffee and danish -- no drinks, it was in the morning). But we couldn't possibly meet everyone. We did learn to recognize some faces. It was a pleasant event but the smaller groups I've encountered (20-35 on average) have had a better result in terms of really meeting travel companions.

Mura

I'm thinking that the main problem with any large group is that they do tend to hog things. I've heard complaints about this since the beginning of Oceania. Not regarding every cruise, of course, but enough of them. But is the cruiseline supposed to ban bookings of more than 25 cabins to one group? I don't see that happening! They want to sell those cabins.

But it would be nice if in some way participants in those large groups could realize that the ship isn't only meant for their pleasure and that the rest of us are not interlopers.

I also wonder about the rationale of a M&G with 200 or more people. On our NCL T/A last year we had one with 100 people (and yes, all the officers were there and gave little talks, and we had free coffee and danish -- no drinks, it was in the morning). But we couldn't possibly meet everyone. We did learn to recognize some faces. It was a pleasant event but the smaller groups I've encountered (20-35 on average) have had a better result in terms of really meeting travel companions.

Mura

So what would be your suggestion in putting together a meet and mingle group of 25-30 when the count is reaching 200?

Mura

as we have over 300 registered for the M&G on my upcoming T/A on Equinox!! It will be a CROWD!!...but many T/A passengers tend to be devoted cruisers, into the events like this onboard, and many are CC members...

Face recognization is about as good as it gets..unless you search out specific people...name tags are key..and Celebrity usually does that for us. I've got over 200 signed up for the luncheon...so it's quite a different scenario from O....but still fun...just different!! Wish me luck on these...it will be like "herding cats"!!! :eek: LuAnn

I have no suggestion at all! There are people -- I'm one of them -- who probably wouldn't go to such a large gathering. That does NOT mean that I suggest you forget about it and cancel the whole thing! Those who go will surely have a great time.

Mine was an observation only, not meant as a suggestion at all.

Mura

They kept you out of the entire lounge or just a certain area? Horizons is pretty big on the Marina.

They kept us out of the whole lounge. The other entrance was closed so that you could not enter. One of the alumni leaders was really quite rude, she would butt into lines as she felt her alumni group was more important than anyone else and they deserved to be served first. She loudly announced she was in charge of "x" people and that they needed the information right now and the rest of us could wait. Since she reeked of tobacco smoke, most of us let her go ahead so the air could be refreshed.

I would have been having a chat with the hotel/General manager

If they have large Alumni groups they should give them times to use the Marina lounge so they are not taking away from the enjoyment of others in Horizons

On 1 cruise they had the use of the GDR for their get togethers but not during meal times

I agree with you but as this was the first time that I sailed with Oceania I did not know the ropes or the personnel. I have run into similar situations on other cruise lines and nothing was done about the groups that were making the ship theirs instead of everyones.

I agree with you but as this was the first time that I sailed with Oceania I did not know the ropes or the personnel. I have run into similar situations on other cruise lines and nothing was done about the groups that were making the ship theirs instead of everyones.

Was this a daily occurrence? :confused:

Unless it was posted "closed for private function" then you have every right to go in there.

I would have at least approached the concierge to inquire if other passengers were not allowed to use the room.

Lyn

is the Aggie group with? Feb 5, 2012 or Feb 21, 2012?

Although some might consider it "tacky," it would be nice to have a bulletin board available for passengers to post announcements & messages in a central location. This works well at conference centers, meetings, etc we have been to.

You are given a 5X7 piece of paper - general announcements are full sized on one side, with a posting removal date in the corner. Personal messages to - "John Doe" are folded over with dated addressee labeled on the outside. It's everyone's responsibility to check the board once a day - after 2 days, messages are swept off. Which takes staff only a few minutes. And would be less time consuming than hand delivering individual invitations.

Or they could provide a 2 sentence alert in the daily announcements.

In the one Celebrity transAtlantic we sailed on, certain groups seemed to make "the cut" and had spots on a central board, such as some religious groups and gatherings such as 'Friends of Bill.'

We certainly will not get our noses out of joint :rolleyes: , or care, if we are not invited to a previous passengers party, an alum reunion group (especially if they were asking for $$ !) etc.

Oceania should provide just the space and maybe a mic, if the group were large. It's not as if many of us on these cruises need MORE drinks, juice or cookies!

Seems to me cooperating with passenger initiated gatherings (within a reasonable limit) would build 'esprit de corps' for the ship and the line.

JMO

I have no suggestion at all! There are people -- I'm one of them -- who probably wouldn't go to such a large gathering. That does NOT mean that I suggest you forget about it and cancel the whole thing! Those who go will surely have a great time.

Mine was an observation only, not meant as a suggestion at all.

Mura

no worries...I think we are on the same page...sometimes on different ships/ venues!!! LuAnn

I tried to add an addendum but was too late ...

When you start out to set up a Meet & Greet, you can't anticipate how many people will respond. And when you end up with a HUGE group, you can't exactly tell people, "It's too late. You can't come."

Apropos of nothing at all, I'm listening to a Danish radio station that was broadcasting a choral competition. The four winners were Swedish, German, Finnish and Norwegian. The announcements were made in English!!!

I tried to add an addendum but was too late ...

When you start out to set up a Meet & Greet, you can't anticipate how many people will respond. And when you end up with a HUGE group, you can't exactly tell people, "It's too late. You can't come."

Exactly, which I is why I questioned your statement. Not everyone will show up. Others might join the party. In any event, it isn't the end of the world and having the M&G the first sea day an hour before dinner time isn't going to irritate others (well maybe some) in the Lounge as they will probably be gettting ready for dinner themselves. :)

Was this a daily occurrence? :confused:

Unless it was posted "closed for private function" then you have every right to go in there.

I would have at least approached the concierge to inquire if other passengers were not allowed to use the room.

Lyn

Some lounge on the ship just about every day except when we were staying in port past the dinner hour. They always seemed to have dragon ladies manning the door and I would rather avoid than confront. What we would have appreciated is a note in the daily news that this lounge would be closed for a private function at this time. Since it was my first Oceania cruise I did not find the concierge desk until later in the cruise. I was too busy enjoying the ports to really get familiar with the ship.:D Next cruise we have fewer ports and some sea days, mind you not on the Marina and we are looking forward to the cruise.:)

Some lounge on the ship just about every day except when we were staying in port past the dinner hour. They always seemed to have dragon ladies manning the door and I would rather avoid than confront. What we would have appreciated is a note in the daily news that this lounge would be closed for a private function at this time. :)

Yes I agree but if it was not posted as a private cruise then Oceania general manager should have stepped in regardless :eek:

The Lounge is for ALL passengers

I am sure you were not the only victim of the dragon ladies ;)

Hope your next cruise is better in that department

Lyn

• 2 months later...
...there are many "special" interest groups that meet on board...think Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy, Veterans, country groups (Canadians etc.), PEO etc.

I propose that we start calling all Cruise Critic groups Friends of Frank (as in Del Rio). Not only would it meet their "Friends of..." criteria, but how could they deny us a meeting place if our name honoured their Founding Father.

We have just returned from a b2b MIA-LA-PPT cruise. I organized the M & G for both journeys as well as last year's CPT-SIN cruise. I collected CC handle names, personal names, cabin #'s, and name of home city, state/prov/country. I had very, very few problems with missing information, and if so, the concierge would do his/her best to fill in the blanks. Once on board, I submitted the list to the concierege who consulted with the cruise director for an appropriate time and place that would not conflict with any other arranged events or programs. We have attended several M & G's on various itineraries immediately after muster drills and very few attended. On most occasions, muster drills were held shortly after embarkation or the following mid-morning and then it would conflict with already scheduled programs, eg. lectures that passengers want to attended. My experience was to avail of the concierge's help, give him/her the complete list of CC members on board and they will send out intivations to each person(s). 'O' roped off an area in the Horizons during 2 for 1 cocktail hour. (Just a remiinder, the captain's cocktail party is usually the second night.) The concierge, hotel manager, food & beverage manager and 1 or 2 other staff members dropped by and greeted the guests. I have always found full co-operation with staff if we worked with them and not create "push & shove" conflict. By the way, having all the CC member's information ahead of time, gave me time to make computerized name tags for each one before leaving home. Those attending, found this a useful tool to work the room and introduce themselves and put faces to those they had met on the boards.

Who_Dat.jpg

It's been a while since we went to the Marina float-out and things change...

Doesnt everything?? We still know and love you Don!!!

BTW..The new president of Oceania is a terrific guy and very receptive..Im very impressed..

Jancruz1

We have just returned from a b2b MIA-LA-PPT cruise. I organized the M & G for both journeys as well as last year's CPT-SIN cruise. I collected CC handle names, personal names, cabin #'s, and name of home city, state/prov/country. I had very, very few problems with missing information, and if so, the concierge would do his/her best to fill in the blanks. .

This goes along with my experience on Marina in October. The staff was as helpful as they could be, and even provided snacks -- which I had not requested.

One of our members arranged an informal M&G on the night we boarded and the bartender emphasized to him that the group should notify the staff. So when I set up a second M&G, that is what I did. I had read comments on CC (prior to boarding the ship) that Oceania wasn't cooperative with these get-togethers and my experience was that they were extremely cooperative.

Mura

Archived