new coffee card - response from Princess

vickie_bernie

... am I right in thinking you can get a nice cup of coffee without having your card punched Or have I misread the thread?:confused:

Yes, with a coffee card you can get regular fresh brewed coffee without having the card punched.

We are being charged for a decent cup of coffee. Either thru the purchase of a coffee card or cup by cup for brewed. Question - Does Carnival, Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc. server syrup based coffee in their dining rooms?

Can't speak for the others, but HAL uses only ground coffee, Beukenhorst.

It's quite good.

http://beukenhorst-usa.com/

I suspect Celebrity, too. Their coffee was excellent.

As someone who has purchased coffee cards in the past (and always used them up because I drink the specialty coffees!), I think the reasonable thing to do is to honor any old cards for the stamps still unused AND for unlimited coffee on the next cruise it is presented on. (They can be stamped with the ship and sailing date when next presented.)

I really don't think anyone should have ever realistically expected free brewed coffee for the rest of their lives with these cards.

While there may be disagreement about whether brewed coffee should be charged for, or whether people like/dislike the syrup coffee, it is clear that the intent was to charge for these services.

I suspect that some other rate will be charged for the new cards issued based upon the number of days in the cruise. Maybe there will be different cards offered depending on the length of the cruise. Obviously a 3 day cruiser will use a different number of punches/coffees than a 14 day cruiser, etc.

Maybe the new cards won't include brewed coffee at all, only specialty coffee.

We don't know this information yet.

What needs to happen is a reasonable resolution for people who still have older cards, and I think that honoring the stamps plus one more cruise at unlimited coffee is a reasonable compromise. (and if you are going on a short cruise, save the card for your next longer one...)

As someone who has purchased coffee cards in the past (and always used them up because I drink the specialty coffees!), I think the reasonable thing to do is to honor any old cards for the stamps still unused AND for unlimited coffee on the next cruise it is presented on. (They can be stamped with the ship and sailing date when next presented.)

I really don't think anyone should have ever realistically expected free brewed coffee for the rest of their lives with these cards.

While there may be disagreement about whether brewed coffee should be charged for, or whether people like/dislike the syrup coffee, it is clear that the intent was to charge for these services.

I suspect that some other rate will be charged for the new cards issued based upon the number of days in the cruise. Maybe there will be different cards offered depending on the length of the cruise. Obviously a 3 day cruiser will use a different number of punches/coffees than a 14 day cruiser, etc.

What needs to happen is a reasonable resolution for people who still have older cards, and I think that honoring the stamps plus one more cruise at unlimited coffee is a reasonable compromise. (and if you are going on a short cruise, save the card for your next longer one...)

Why not? As I said in a previous post, HAL serves fresh brewed coffee from grounds at all locations, including the buffet. And you don't need no stinking card!

Edited by Stevesan

I think you will be surprised. Some people what all inclusive and luxury items, but only want to pay princess prices. An example is that one person was comparing Princess to Oceana, they want Oceana service/perks for a Princess price!

I would like a lot more from Princess, but am happy with the prices now and do not want them to increase.

Princess has coffee that may not be to some peoples taste. If somone does not like the free coffee, then buy a better coffee. I am sure if Princess switched to a brewed coffee, some people would still not like it and say they should use Starbucks (or their favourite type). THey will never please everyone. I have had many brewed cups of coffee that are terrible. Fromt he comments on this board it looks like a lot of people do enjoy the coffee as is.

On my Cruise next month, I will buy a coffee card since I love latte.

It would just be good if Princess would make the decision and let people know what to do with their cards, if they are going to honour them, let us know, I have a few cards, 4 of us traveled and we all had one, each has lots of unused punches, if I knew I could not use them at all after the new year, and I cruise this month, rather than waste them I would give them to someone to use. At least someone would be happy, there again if we can use them I would keep them. So Princess be decisive and let us know the rules now!!!!

It would just be good if Princess would make the decision and let people know what to do with their cards, if they are going to honour them, let us know, I have a few cards, 4 of us traveled and we all had one, each has lots of unused punches, if I knew I could not use them at all after the new year, and I cruise this month, rather than waste them I would give them to someone to use. At least someone would be happy, there again if we can use them I would keep them. So Princess be decisive and let us know the rules now!!!!

You can definitely use the punches on different cruises. It's only the brewed coffee that is restricted to the sailing you bought your card on going forward.

Why does everyone think that use of a coffee card on multiple sailings is a loophole?

The terms of issue stated verbally at the time of sale were the card was valid for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee until the 15 specialty coffee punches were used up. There was no time limit. The card expired when all 15 punches were used. I see no loophole here.

The card itself confirms the specialty coffees with no expiration date of any kind.

Princess has decided to change the terms of the cards which they can do. However, in fairness to passengers it should honor the old cards as issued. This is clearly a take away!

In my wife's case, she has never liked the stock Princess coffee since we first sailed on Princess in 1986. Several years ago we reluctantly purchased a coffee card so she could get decent coffee without paying each time.

We don't have a quality of coffee issue on RCCL which is one reason we don't sail exclusively on Princess.

So the BOGO coupons were all popular last year with cc members sharing here if not used. Then some of the entertainment books were on sale for the remaining pages. Will we see some coffee cards with punches left go up for sale for those who only wanted brewed?

So the BOGO coupons were all popular last year with cc members sharing here if not used. Then some of the entertainment books were on sale for the remaining pages. Will we see some coffee cards with punches left go up for sale for those who only wanted brewed?

No, because as previously stated, the brewed coffee is only good for the sailing you bought your coffee card on.

I have to say I am still confused. I have one coffee card with a couple of punches left. I am sailing on Dec. 17th. My card does not have a ship name or date on it. Can I use my coffee card for specialty coffees and brewed coffee on my next sailing before the 1st of the year?

Thanks,

Kayla

I have to say I am still confused. I have one coffee card with a couple of punches left. I am sailing on Dec. 17th. My card does not have a ship name or date on it. Can I use my coffee card for specialty coffees and brewed coffee on my next sailing before the 1st of the year?

Thanks,

Kayla

You may be able to use it for both as I don't think the new cards come out till next year. If you were cruising in January, I'd say you could just use the punches

You may be able to use it for both as I don't think the new cards come out till next year. If you were cruising in January, I'd say you could just use the punches

Well I guess I will attempt to get a brewed coffee right away and find out if they will honor that loop hole or not.

Kayla

Thanks,

Kayla

Hi Kayla, the new cards only come out some time in January. I was hearing on the boards here about this new card so put the question to Princess directly.

Their repsonse was that the new cards will have the name of ship and date on each card. The card will be good for that sailing, and will include fresh brewed coffee and specialty teas.

You should have no problem using your current card for specialty drinks or brewed coffee. If you have remaining punches after your cruise, Princess says they will honour your card on future sailings until they are used up.

Vickie

While what you say is true I think there going to have a lot of explaining to do for quite a few years until the old cards are gone.

Maybe if the coffee in the lido and other free areas was decent there would not be a problem As far as fresh brewed when on the Diamond in June freah brewed was never really that fresh several times it tasted like bottom of pot or burnt had to ask them to make some. It would seem to me that fresh brewed would be cheaper then all the specialty coffees offered. Just my opinion though.

Well I guess I will attempt to get a brewed coffee right away and find out if they will honor that loop hole or not.

Kayla

Did Princess officially say they will close the loophole with the old cards? I am confused.......unless I missed it somewhere. So far, my understanding is that new cards will have the ship and sailing date so you can only get brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate for that cruise only and if you have any remaining punches, you can use it on future sailing but no additional freebies. Existing cards still honored for remaining punches-just unclear how and if they are going to close the loophole.

Edited by Sincity

It seems to me the best solution would be keep the cards as they are and use one large punch for specialty coffee, two small punches for brewed coffee etc. (one per cup).

Why bother punching the card for brewed coffee at all. It's all the brewed coffee you can drink, for that cruise only. No more unlimited brewed coffee for life as it used to be.

I didn't mind the syrup coffee in the buffet area back when I put milk in my coffee....but now I drink it black and it was not good. But I don't mind the coffee in the mdr for some reason. Last time, I just bought brewed coffee by the cup and it was fine but this time around, I think I will buy a coffee card. I don't mind the new rules, I think it is fair.

Well I am glad that I will be able to still use my card, both for specialty and brewed coffees. I will not be saving my card for another cruise. I will use all punches for specialty coffees and enjoy the brewed coffee.

I will say that I was ok with the syrup coffee until I had a cup of the brewed. The difference was astounding.

Kayla

I was on the CB on 10/1 and the free coffee in HC was beyond undrinkable. I had seen people on CC complaining about the HC coffee and I was wondering "how bad could it be" - wow, turns out really bad. Princess must have changed the vendor from the previous year. Until this cruise my husband and I drank the HC coffee and had no complaints. This time, neither my husband or I could drink it and he can drink some pretty bad coffee. So after buying the coffee in the IC ($1.50 for regular) a couple of times, I broke down and bought two coffee cards to get us through this cruise and for future cruises. Looks like I might be on the short end of this transaction. The MDR coffee was good and did not taste like the HC coffee at all. We used to use the coffee syrup concentrate at work and it was good, definitely better than Folgers and some of the other stuff out there. Princess really needs to improve the coffee in the HC, otherwise they will start to see long lines at IC for people wanting only coffee. It will be a service nightmare.

I was on the CB on 10/1 and the free coffee in HC was beyond undrinkable. I had seen people on CC complaining about the HC coffee and I was wondering "how bad could it be" - wow, turns out really bad. Princess must have changed the vendor from the previous year. Until this cruise my husband and I drank the HC coffee and had no complaints. This time, neither my husband or I could drink it and he can drink some pretty bad coffee. So after buying the coffee in the IC ($1.50 for regular) a couple of times, I broke down and bought two coffee cards to get us through this cruise and for future cruises. Looks like I might be on the short end of this transaction. The MDR coffee was good and did not taste like the HC coffee at all. We used to use the coffee syrup concentrate at work and it was good, definitely better than Folgers and some of the other stuff out there. Princess really needs to improve the coffee in the HC, otherwise they will start to see long lines at IC for people wanting only coffee. It will be a service nightmare.

I, too, have noticed this. Maybe the kitchen staff periodically cleans their machine.:p