Tipping

artlee

I think a lot of people usually give to the crew welfare fund at the concierge... Some have said they tip the spa staff, too.

We didn't tip at all on our first cruise, but will probably leave something for the crew welfare fund when we get off on our upcoming cruise...

I like the fact that tipping isn't required. I have NOTHING against tipping. I used to work as a waitress and know how it goes if you live on tips. But I like the idea of a company paying its staff so they give good service without automatically expecting a tip. And knowing that you'll be paid regardless also cuts down on bitterness... having worked as a waitress in both a tipped and untipped environment, I know there is a difference.

We will leave a crew fund donation, and tip the spa ladies and wine steward if we use their services. (The wine steward if we buy something not if he just pours or tells us about the daily pours.)

just as a fyi, the spa staff are not employed by SD but by a separate company so we treat our expenditures the same as if made at a spa on land.

ZQ Vol, don't forget our wonderful cabin attendant - with the mess we make, the number of towels we use, and the restocking of our fridge (s) -sometimes multiple x daily, the nightly cheese plate, the adjusting the nightly goodies for my food allergies, etc, we tip.

Several voyages ago, the hot man and maitre d went all out for a combination anniversary/birthday/renewal vows voyage (not ours - got married in Greek ceremony, no vows, but friends) which involved mutiple special events - including decorations shipped from the lower 48 to the USVI, invitations, pink flamingos being planted on the landing at the Splash, etc - so we felt something was warranted here.

The big thing is - tipping is not expected - sometimes we have, sometimes we haven't and there's never a difference in treatment.

artlee, best guess since its so personal, unlikely to be a consensus.

We always tip the crew (fund), but we do it because we WANT to; not because we HAVE to.

As everyone has said, tipping is never a requirement - or even expected - on SD... but the crew works very hard to keep us all comfortable and happy for the week+ that we're all on board, so why not show that appreciation?

We also leave individual tips for those who have done a little "extra" for us, but again, this is just what WE do. And there is no rule of thumb, per se re: how much.... give (if you choose to) whatever amount feels right to you.

Re: spa tips: agree with FT... treat it as you would a personal spa at home and tip accordingly. We just add the tip onto our bill after a treatment.

My tips to the sommelier and spa attendant are added to the bill (never carry cash to dinner or the spa). Based on what is standard in my range of business travel and where massages are given by employees, not owners - 10% to 20% is the range depending on if its "ordinary" v. "extraordinary". If a discount coupon is used, I calculated based on list price before using the coupon.

If its for special service, typically its cash and I write a note with my thanks for the service.

Crew fund is used for a number of circumstances - including crew parties - think about working 7 days a week during your 4 months of contract. So I love to contribute to that fund.

FT

DJ's DH and I tip in a similar fashion as ZQVol and FT and CDreamer.

We always leave a donation at the end of the cruise for the crew welfare fund. Traditionally we have just added it to our bill. I often give hand-written notes to those who have gone above and beyond for us and will add a little something (cash) with that note.

As far as the spa, we just add the tip onto the bill at the conclusion of the service much as we do here at home.

It really is a personal decision.

Archived