St Petersburg Tours

sippican

My last thread has been closed so I'm going to try again. Thanks to those of you who provided tips and guidance. (As an FYI, there are indeed 2 tour companies using the name that I inquired about in my closed thread) After researching and contacting a few of the recommended companies, we have booked with SPb Tours for the Baltic Pearl tour. I think I would have had a high level of comfort with those we heard from, SPb just edged ahead by a nose!

Anyway, we can customize a bit and I'd love to hear from others about the "what's not to be missed" sights. Currently, the Baltic Pearl does not include St Isaac's or Yusupov's, but does have a private boat canal ride, Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral, along with the other major attractions. Should we consider swapping out the canal ride? We have plenty of time to plan, so I will look at photos and descriptions, etc. So many choices :eek:.

Did SPb provide any brief shopping stops? We do not want the junky souvenir shops but what about something more unique?

My last thread has been closed so I'm going to try again. Thanks to those of you who provided tips and guidance. (As an FYI, there are indeed 2 tour companies using the name that I inquired about in my closed thread) After researching and contacting a few of the recommended companies, we have booked with SPb Tours for the Baltic Pearl tour. I think I would have had a high level of comfort with those we heard from, SPb just edged ahead by a nose!

Anyway, we can customize a bit and I'd love to hear from others about the "what's not to be missed" sights. Currently, the Baltic Pearl does not include St Isaac's or Yusupov's, but does have a private boat canal ride, Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral, along with the other major attractions. Should we consider swapping out the canal ride? We have plenty of time to plan, so I will look at photos and descriptions, etc. So many choices :eek:.

Did SPb provide any brief shopping stops? We do not want the junky souvenir shops but what about something more unique?

Here's what I would suggest for shopping, as the tours shopping stops are fairly limited. Consider booking a car with guide for the evening. Vika's sister was the driver and guide for two in our group and they had a wonderful evening strolling the shops on Nevsky Prospekt with her. I believe the cost was $30 per hour and they had a four hour evening tour with her along that avenue. That would give you the chance to visit regular shops rather than the tourist shops with trinkets and Matrushka dolls predominating.

As an alternative, ask about time for strolling the Nevsky Prospekt during the day. The problem with that option is you miss out on even more. You are already missing out on two must sees, in my opinion.

For us the deluxe tour for the six of us was the best deal. It was a bit more, but the price included both lunches and other items, including camera passes and other items not included in some of the other tours, which leveled the cost difference. Plus everything you could want to see was included. Vika and Anthony even customized the deluxe tour to add the Choral Synagogue which we wanted to see.

SPB did an excellent job for us. You will love it.

We also used SPb. I found nice souvenirs at the museums, both the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace and churches have nice gift shops if you are looking for religious icons, that don't sell junk. Also, if you do the nighttime "fun vodka tour", you will take a private canal ride at night with vodka and folk singers. (Lots of vodka:D) You are also supposed to go the the Nevsky Prospekt to stroll and shop. Our entire bus didn't want to do the strolling and shopping. We were all too tired, too drunk, and there really wasn't anything we wanted to buy except souvenirs for the folks back home. Our guide did bring us to a nice souvenir shop, which happened to be owned by former SpB tour guides. What kind of things are you looking to purchase in St. Petersburg? If you cut out the daytime canal ride you can make up time and then go out in the evening for the nighttime fun tour. It was a very worthwhile experience.

We also used SPB tours, and did that Baltic Pearl package. I just did notice that they have not included Yusupov's Palace in that package, I wonder why. When we did this tour 2 years ago, it was included.

But besides that, we love our time with SBP and the relationship you will develop with Viktoria and company, you will cherish for you tour and for year afterwards. They do a magnificent job.

Cheers

Len

We did not choose te Deluxe Tour as it is described as very strenuous. (Our 70 somethings were anxious about that.) I'm not really sure what we are looking for as far as souvenirs, probably some nesting dolls for the grandkids. I know those can range from "junk" to highly crafted. We don't want to sacrifice sightseeing to spend lots of time shopping, just want an opportunity ( on our recent Med cruise, we barely had time to breathe and none to shop). The suggestion of the museum and church shops is great. I'm not sure if we'll do an evening tour, again, wondering about stamina for the second day, especially after all that vodka :eek:, however I'm sure some in our group will be up for that!

Len, did you do the canal cruise as part of your tour? Should we drop that for Yusupov's or St Isaacs?

Len, did you do the canal cruise as part of your tour? Should we drop that for Yusupov's or St Isaacs?

That is really hard to say. Again, this is the first I've seen of the SPB itinerary and that it now does not include Yusupov's Palace. We did that AND the Canal Tour. In fact, having the Canal tour as part of the Baltic Pearl tour Package was one of the things that sold us on SPB Tours originally, that plus the two lunches, which several of the other tour companies charged extra for.

Now my DW loves these Canal Tours. And we thoroughly enjoyed it. It happened at the end of our first day and it was the perfect climax to a long, tiring day, to sit and relax on the Canal boat, sipping champagne, and seeing St Peterberg form a different perspective.

Put that against Yusupov's Palace, which has so much history in it, plus the beauty of the place, makes truly a tough choice. I might forgo the Canal tour for the chance to visit this Palace. this place is more than ornate, it is history, where Rasputin met his demise. Yes, if I had to make the choice, it would be Yusupovs Place.

Pixs from our Canal Tour

You go thru many narrow canals and under several very low bridges

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe774.jpg

Seeing St Petersberg from a different perspective

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe786.jpg

Peter and Paul fortress from the water

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster760.jpg

Then there is Yusupov's Palace

The room where Rasputin was murdered

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe883.jpg

The main hallway

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe882.jpg

In the Palace there is a special theater with a special box built just foe the Tsars

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe897.jpg

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Len

That is really hard to say. Again, this is the first I've seen of the SPB itinerary and that it now does not include Yusupov's Palace. We did that AND the Canal Tour. In fact, having the Canal tour as part of the Baltic Pearl tour Package was one of the things that sold us on SPB Tours originally, that plus the two lunches, which several of the other tour companies charged extra for.

Now my DW loves these Canal Tours. And we thoroughly enjoyed it. It happened at the end of our first day and it was the perfect climax to a long, tiring day, to sit and relax on the Canal boat, sipping champagne, and seeing St Peterberg form a different perspective.

Put that against Yusupov's Palace, which has so much history in it, plus the beauty of the place, makes truly a tough choice. I might forgo the Canal tour for the chance to visit this Palace. this place is more than ornate, it is history, where Rasputin met his demise. Yes, if I had to make the choice, it would be Yusupovs Place.

Pixs from our Canal Tour

You go thru many narrow canals and under several very low bridges

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe774.jpg

Seeing St Petersberg from a different perspective

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe786.jpg

Peter and Paul fortress from the water

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster760.jpg

Then there is Yusupov's Palace

The room where Rasputin was murdered

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe883.jpg

The main hallway

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe882.jpg

In the Palace there is a special theater with a special box built just foe the Tsars

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe897.jpg

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Len

I would agree. As a history major, visiting the palace was much more important than the canal boat ride.

When you communicate with SPb, simply indicate that you want time built into the schedule for shopping at the museums. Also perhaps one reasonably priced gift shop that sells quality items. I recall that the one gift shop that we were scheduled to go to was very crowded, but since all the SPb guides stay in constant contact with the office, the driver and guide decided to bring us to another shop that was not mobbed.

If you are cruising the NCL Sun, the ship will have a Russian bazaar after you sail from SPB, selling all sorts of the type of souvenirs that you would bring back to the grandkids. So don't fret about that. Outside of Catherine's Palace and the Church on Spilled Blood there are "flea market" souvenirs. I bought a piece of handpainted jewelry at the Hermitage, it was not very expensive, and I receive so many compliments on it.

On our 2-day Deluxe tour with SPB this past May, we saw everything (incl. the canal ride and Yusopov's Palace). Since it began to rain during our canal cruise, on the second morning, everyone chose to go below deck; consequently, we could not enjoy the full beauty of the buildings from the water. Even if it had been nice, we would still recommend visiting Yusopov's Palace over the canal ride.

I would also recommend reading "The Man Who Killed Rasputin" by Greg Baker"...a fascinating story!

For shopping, our driver took us to a lovely store where many of us purchased souvenirs. My husband and I also spotted street vendors opposite St. Isaacs Cathedral, where we purchased some very nice nesting dolls for our grandchildren.

Enjoy your cruise and time spent in St. Petersburg.:)

As noted, that's a tough and challenging choice among those three great options. We had a private guide and custom tour in our two days for seeing St. Petersburg. We did all three of these, canal ride, Yusupov and St. Isaacs. Each is special in their own way. Very different choices. Below are some of my visuals for each of these option. What else are you doing and how much flexibility do you have? With canal ride, it does allow a little time to rest-up, relax and have a break from walk, walk; stand, stand, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is the lower-level room where they were preparing to kill Rasputin at Yusupov Palace.:

1A-StP-YuspRasp.jpg

One of many elegant rooms used for entertaining Royals and the powerful at Yusupov Palace.:

1A-StP-Yup.jpg

An example of the many buildings and bridges you will see on the canal boat tour in St. Petersburg.:

StPCanalSights.jpg

An example of bridge details you will see on the canal tour:

StPBridgeDetail.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

These special doors within this St. Isaac's Cathedral were inspired by those in Florence:

StpStIsaDoorDetails.jpg

Hi all...We went on the 8/15 Norwegian Sun Baltic Cruise...had a great time. I just wanted to post about TJ Tours in St. Petersburg. They were wonderful! Elena was our guide and Tatyana was our contact person at TJ. They delivered on everything that they promised. They were there at the dock; they got us on our merry way quickly and efficiently and they showed us St. Petersburg in the BEST way possible. We were there for 2 days and TJ was our guide for both. We took their STANDARD tour with 10 other people in our VAN. Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, the Hermitage, Church on Spilled Blood, Fortress of Peter and Paul.....all of it was wonderful...gave us time for pictures...had that wonderful lunch at the little pie place...They even helped us with arrangement for the evening of the Folkloric Russian theater. Thank you Elena...Thank you Tatyana. You've helped make some beautiful memories!

• 3 weeks later...

As an original building, and not a rebuild like the other palaces you probably will visit, the Yusopov Palace with its gem of a theater and Rasputin associations would trump a canal boat ride IMO. But if you can keep the ride and simply forget any souvenir shop stops, that would be even better!

we have booked with SPb Tours for the Baltic Pearl tour. I think I would have had a high level of comfort with those we heard from, SPb just edged ahead by a nose!

Anyway, we can customize a bit and I'd love to hear from others about the "what's not to be missed" sights. Currently, the Baltic Pearl does not include St Isaac's or Yusupov's, but does have a private boat canal ride, Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral, along with the other major attractions. Should we consider swapping out the canal ride?

We also used SpB and were very satisfied. We did not want to do a canal boat ride but did visit St. Isaacs and the Yusupov Palace and would definitely recommend them but if we had to make a choice we would choose Yusupov over St. Isaacs. If you tell your SpB guide you are interested in nesting dolls they will take you to a very nice small shop with many choices and price points (I am sorry I can't remember the name).

Here is Rasputin himself in the basement room at Yusupov

Rasputin.jpg

This is a photo that does not begin to do justice to the private theatre at Yusupov Palace.

YusupovTheatre.jpg

This is the royal box at the Yusupov private theatre

Privatebox.jpg

St. Isaacs is uniquely beautiful with the malachite and lazurite columns.

StIsaacs.jpg

Some of the canals of St. Petersburg

Canalboat.jpg

StPetersburgCanal.jpg

Archived