Cruising with 3 kids-5 in a cabin???

mommyto3girls:)

We are planning a family vacation next fall. We want to take a cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Elation. We would leave on our youngest birthday and return on our oldest birthday:D I'm just a little concerned about the space in the room. My husband and i have cruised alone, but have not taken the kids yet. I know the rooms are a little small anyway and with all the extra beds...will it be intolerable or is it not so bad?

I know the kids would love it. They look at our pictures and say they want to go too. I know there will be things to do outside of the room during the day, but am just a little nervous. BTW girls will be almost 11, 6, and just 4.

thanks!!!

The hard part is going to be finding a cabin that can hold 5 to begin with. I think this is a case where unless you get a suite, you should consider 2 cabins.

The Elation can hold 5 in a cabin.

We've done triples and quads on the Elation and the Paradise (a sistership.) Wouldn't do 5 adults in a cabin but wouldn't hesitate to do it with kids.

Organization is the key. Don't overpack.

The cabin has two lowers, two uppers and a pallet (trundle) or rollaway.

A rollaway is folded up during the day. A pallet can be stored under a bed. Store the luggage under the bed.

If the lower beds are kept apart you will have much more room to walk around in. Not too romantic but........

Next to each upper bunk will be a hook. We hook an over-the-door shoe holder to each bunk. The upper pockets become the 'nightstand' for the upper bunks. I use a multi strand of Dental Floss for easy hanging.

Some will have the men shower in the spa. DH gets ready first and then waits for us outside.

I would look at it like camping. You will have slightly more room than a tent and will have a bathroom. Will there be any extra space - No, but that wouldn't keep my family from doing it. Thankfully, your kids are old enough that they will be kept busy with activities, the pool, and other stuff most of the day and the room can be used mainly for sleeping and bathing.

Have a great time.

Fantasy class cabin for 5:

FantasyM88-2.jpg

This seems to be an inside cabin.

If the lower beds are apart one bed will be under the window, on bed under one of the bunks and the trundle/rollaway will be under the other bunk.

I have never seen a cabin set up like the lower picture from Essiesmom. On the Elation the ladders can be placed on the side of the bunks.

Thanks everyone. i know it will be tight, but don't really want to have DH in one room and me in another. The girls are still too young for a room alone even with adjourning rooms. I also would have a hard time justifying that extra cost when we are hardly ever in the room. To the person who posted the pictures-there is a bunk directly over the king bed and one the wall opposite the bed and then a rollaway on the opposite wall parallel to the king bed? The steward folds all this away every morning?

thanks again!

We're doing the family of 5 thing on a cruise in a couple months. Everywhere I've read, people suggest getting a balcony too allow for an extra space for a parent to go while a child is napping. I thought "napping, my kids don't nap anymore!". But then I also realized my kids will be up much later some nights with Camp Carnival activities and will NEED to nap to avoid becoming little demons.

That is cabin M88, an inside on Fantasy. If you shove one twin against the 'window' wall, and the second twin beneath the bunk on the right, you can then put the rollaway under the left bunk, and put the ladders against the sides of the bunks. But there are sooo many people who just can't bear to separate the twins so this is the result. EM

I haven't stayed in a balcony room. Is the room the same layout/square footage-just with the extra space of the balcony? I have seen them from the outside of the ship, but it's hard to tell. How big are the balconies? Can two adults comfortably sit?

The balconies are narrow and cozy.:p

The Fantasy Class was designed before everyone had to have a balcony.

Do your kids still take naps? Our youngest wouldn't.

Many parents get a balcony because they can watch the napping kids and enjoy themselves at the same time.

The only cabins on the Elation to have balconies are suites. Most higher occupancy cabins seem to be a queen, a queen sleeper sofa and a rollaway- check the deckplans to be sure. The cost will be at least double than a standard OV.

Stay with a 5 in an OV. It will be crowded but entirely doable.

We did five in an inside cabin on Carnival Fascination just this summer. I was worried about the tight space, but we had a fantastic time and the close quarters didn't bother us at all.

It was me, dh, my 11yo twins, and my 8yo.

We kept the beds pushed together which probably used floor space, but it wouldn't have been a great vacation for me to sleep by myself in a twin bed. :)

One thing I did right away was ask my room steward to remove the chair and two end tables from the room. We didn't need them and they took up floor space. That left just a bench which pushed under the vanity and our beds.

The ground rules for the kids were if they were in the room they needed to be sitting on their beds, not walking around, and no one was allowed to leave shoes or clothing out...everything got put away in the closet.

We took an over the door shoe organizer that we hung on the outside of the bathroom door to organize all our junk. Some people say they never use them, but that was the most helpful tip we learned on this board.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with five in an inside on Carnival again. It was outrageously affordable and it never felt like the "cheap seats" to us. We never felt crowded. It was a fantastic vacation.

I will have to price it out... I don't think a balcony would be worth it to us if we have to do a suite too. So far i have priced inside rooms and it is super cheap:p I think we could potentially do two cruises for the price of one in a suite. My youngest takes a nap now, but she will be in preK next year and likely not taking a nap unless she goes in the morning. I think they will be ok without a nap, and if we have a really bad day I am sure my DH would volunteer to nap with her.

Good idea about removing table, etc. I never would have thought to ask that. I'm sure my girls would be just fine with the sit on your bed rule. they don't have bunk beds, but once they had them at a hotel and they were so impressed. the problem will be the one who has to use the rollaway-drama.

and it is doable. We have done it twice (kids were 12, 6, and 2 first time and 15, 9, 5 the second time). We opted to let the youngest sleep in a twin with one of us and we did not combine the adult beds, but that saved the space of the rollaway bed. Our kids did not nap on either cruise despite late nights. We kept a suitcase under the bed for dirty laundry and insisted the kids put everything in its place. We shared the closet space for our clean clothes and had plenty of room. We brought only the necessities and not a bunch of extras. We had plenty of counter space in the bathroom for our stuff. The ships have shampoo and body wash so if you aren't picky about those items, don't pack them. This time we are getting 2 inside cabins (17, 12, and 8). But it is only like $125 more for 2 cabins so since they are bigger we feel the extra little money is worth it.

We had family nap time each afternoon. My 8 yr old son said he was going to just "rest his eyes" and he slept 2 hours! It was a great vacation even with all of us in one room.

The balconies are narrow and cozy.:p

The Fantasy Class was designed before everyone had to have a balcony.

Do your kids still take naps? Our youngest wouldn't.

Many parents get a balcony because they can watch the napping kids and enjoy themselves at the same time.

The only cabins on the Elation to have balconies are suites. Most higher occupancy cabins seem to be a queen, a queen sleeper sofa and a rollaway- check the deckplans to be sure. The cost will be at least double than a standard OV.

Stay with a 5 in an OV. It will be crowded but entirely doable.

We'll have 5 in a cabin next February. This will only be our second cruise (and the first cruise for the kids). We have camped with less space, so I don't think it will be a concern. Our kids are ages 7, 9 & 11. If nothing else, our 7 year old could sleep with us, as he's done a time or two at home when he's had a bad dream or been sick. ;)

We'll have 5 in a cabin next February. This will only be our second cruise (and the first cruise for the kids). We have camped with less space, so I don't think it will be a concern. Our kids are ages 7, 9 & 11. If nothing else, our 7 year old could sleep with us, as he's done a time or two at home when he's had a bad dream or been sick. ;)

I don't want to think of it like camping. We-or should I say I?-don't camp. We went to Disney when I was a kid and we brought a camper. This was my first and last camping experience after everything possible went wrong. You know the cement poles near drive through windows? I am pretty sure that is due to my stepdad wiping out the McDonald's window before we even got out of town:eek: But I think it will be fine. The rooms are small...but I am feeling like it will work. It makes me feel better that others have done it and were willing to do it again:p Have a great cruise!

I am SO happy to read this post. I was just going to ask it. We are are lso planning a cruise for January with 3 of our 4 kids. They are all girls, ages 7, 10, 13. We also might have other family going, so one of the kids might bunk in another cabin.

We live near Ocean City, MD and it would cost us at least $2500 to rent a condo for a week in the summer, NOT including food. We can book 1 inside cabin for 5 nights for $1100, plus $900 airfare.

OUr only concern is that it might be a little colder in the Bahamas, or Caribbean then we would like. I"m sure the kids would still enjoy it.

Good idea about removing table, etc. I never would have thought to ask that. I'm sure my girls would be just fine with the sit on your bed rule. they don't have bunk beds, but once they had them at a hotel and they were so impressed. the problem will be the one who has to use the rollaway-drama.

My kids are sharing an adjoining cabin to ours. I was concerned about the who gets which bed thing too. My plan was that they would just have to take turns. I thought they would all want the bunk. Turns out they didn't but that plan could work.

Archived