Nightly Diamond/Diamond Plus event

We have been wanting to find out exactly what and where the evening Diamond Cocktail event is. Since turning Diamond, we have been sailing Celebrity and have not been back on RCCL. We thoroughly enjoy the Elite Happy Hour on Celebrity with the free drinks and hors d'oeuvres.

In the future, we plan on cruising out of Galveston on the Mariner. Please give me detailed information on the cocktail hour. It is my understanding that it is only wine and beer. With reduced prices on cocktails. Correct?

Does RCCL ever have it in the Viking Crown Lounge?

Will look forward to your responses. Particulary in regard to Mariner of the Seas.

We have been wanting to find out exactly what and where the evening Diamond Cocktail event is. Since turning Diamond, we have been sailing Celebrity and have not been back on RCCL. We thoroughly enjoy the Elite Happy Hour on Celebrity with the free drinks and hors d'oeuvres.

In the future, we plan on cruising out of Galveston on the Mariner. Please give me detailed information on the cocktail hour. It is my understanding that it is only wine and beer. With reduced prices on cocktails. Correct?

Will look forward to your responses. Particulary in regard to Mariner of the Seas.

The last time we were on Mariner, the nightly Diamond event was held in the nightclub, which I think is called the Dragon's Lair.

That is often where it is on many ships but the location may vary depending on the ship and the number of Diamond members who are onboard on any given cruise. On Radiance class ships it is sometimes held in the Hollywood Odyssey or, when the number of Diamond Plus guests requires the use of the Hollywood Odyssey as a satellite Concierge lounge, in the Vortex. On other ships including Voyager class ships, it might be in one of the other lounges. Freedom and Oasis Class ships and the Radiance of the Seas have a dedicated Diamond Lounge so no Diamond event is necessary.

On those ships which stage a nightly Diamond event, wine and soft drinks are complimentary while beer and cocktails are offered at a discounted price.:)

When we were on Mariner 2 years ago it was Dragon's Lair. It was empty. Maybe 3-4 other people in there. I think the last night there were actually 10 people in there. We popped in pre dinner for one drink and stayed less than an hour each time. However, this was on the California sailings and we Texans tend to be a little rowdier. It's a cool little nightclub but it seems a lounge with windows would be a nicer choice. Unless you like their house wine (gag), it's not exceptional enough even with a 25% discount. I also recall they monitored taking your drink out so you didn't walk in, buy with the discount and leave. Although I think we did take our beers out once but I think it was a few days in, we'd been there so the bartender knew us and we had tipped. We didn't take advantage, just needed to get to dinner and had half a beer left. We asked if it would be ok. :)

I just don't understand why RCCL doesn't host the evening Diamond event in the Viking Crown Lounge!! As many of you know, X will cordon off the whole observation lounge and it is wonderful. Being stuck in the Dragon's Lair with NO windows isn't too thrilling to me at sail away time!!!

So what is RCCL's logic that they offer full bar service in diamond lounges, but on ships without a lounge, only wine is free and everything else is only a 25% discount?

Does anyone have a good explanation why this Diamond perk should be different just because there is a dedicated lounge?

It doesn't show too much gratitude for your loyalty on RCCLs part. Some cheap wine that is probably barely drinkable and 25% discount on everything else. And then being stuck in some dark hole at sail away!!! Not thrilling at all!! Believe we are going to stick with Celebrity as much as possible. They treat you RIGHT!!!!

RCCL, you need to get with it!!!

So what is RCCL's logic that they offer full bar service in diamond lounges, but on ships without a lounge, only wine is free and everything else is only a 25% discount?

Does anyone have a good explanation why this Diamond perk should be different just because there is a dedicated lounge?

It seems logic and RCI do not get along so they have really never met.

Goes - in a word NO. But what does logic have to do with many RCCL corporate decisions? ;)

Texan, I agree. When we sailed on Voyager, the overflow for the Concierge Lounge was the card room area of the Viking Crown - a nice room with windows. When we did the Diamond Event on Voyager, it was in the sports bar on the other side, also off Viking Crown with windows. Either room is small enough that it doesn't impact non D passengers but large enough to take care of people in a nice venue. I don't know why Mariner won't use one of those options.

On Celebrity, if there are enough Elites, they will close off the WHOLE lounge similiar to the Viking Crown Lounge!! All wine, beer and mixed drinks are free, as are hot and cold appetizers.

It is SOOO nice!! Sailaways are our favorite time and with the special treatment of the Elites in that beautiful lounge with the views, it keeps us coming back again and again. RCI needs to kick it up a notch or two!!!

I know, some of you are going to say, "if you like X so much...stick with it". But we live only a few hours from Galveston and would enjoy cruising out of there every now and then.

Maybe Celebrity need to consider Galveston!!! :D

On the Mariner it was explained to me that the Dragons Lair was the best choice for them because it is the one venue where there is typcally nothing scheduled in it during the HH time frame. Others venues can/do have something going on. I agree VCL would be a much better option. On a Voyager cruise they opened up the two card rooms next to the VCL and that worked great also.

The last time we were on Mariner, the nightly Diamond event was held in the nightclub, which I think is called the Dragon's Lair.

That's interesting that they have held it in the nightclub, not sure I would like it there. On the 3 sailings on a Voyager class ship I've been on. It's been held in either the card room off the Vikinig Lounge (Explorer) or in the sports bar on the opposite side (another Explorer sailing, and on the Navigator) I preferred the sports bar out of the two (or three if we include the nightclub)

Maybe Celebrity need to consider Galveston!!!

They did - Galaxy did 10 day sailings partial Panama Canal a few years back. I heard it didn't sail very full though.

I'm with you, being able to drive to port in Galveston has made us cruise RCCL a LOT more in the last 7 years. It used to be RCCL's C&A was MUCH better than X's CC. Now it's reversed. We don't book based on incentives but when we factor in the food, the overall ambiance, the price, the ports and the perks - X is starting to pull ahead again. Now with their drink package, I can really budget perfectly which is going to be nice.

I don't understand either. We have been on the Oasis 3 times and each time they had too many diamond so they moved it to another lounge and the concierge checked people at the door to make sure only diamond came in. What is the difference and why can't they do that on all ships. My husband just called Crown and Anchor about this and he was told "no one complains about this anymore" We all need to start calling them on a regular basis. They are discriminating against those of us who sail on the smaller ships.

Good question. We have wondered about that as well. We are not wine or champagne drinkers so the "Diamond Event" does not hold much interest for us.

Good question. We have wondered about that as well. We are not wine or champagne drinkers so the "Diamond Event" does not hold much interest for us.

You need to call C&A and tell them your thoughts. They told my husband

"people complained 3 years ago but not anymore " so they think we don't care.

You need to call C&A and tell them your thoughts. They told my husband

"people complained 3 years ago but not anymore " so they think we don't care.

And folks should also put it on the comment cards. I will do that when we sail on the Monarch next month

Archived