Carnival in Mar/Apr...Is it worth the risk?

Cras108er

I am getting the itch for another cruise and happened to notice that Carnival has some 9-day cruises from San Diego to Mexico for relatively cheap prices. I know this is right during the middle of Spring Break, but it is also right in the middle of our long winter, so the timing would be perfect. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

As you can see from my signature, we have cruised Royal Caribbean, Princess, and HAL in the past. What differences might we expect. We are "young middle-agers," if that helps. We're not prudes and like to have fun like the next person, but don't necessarily want to spend a week and a half with a bunch of drunk co-eds.

Thanks.

I think you will be relatively safe with the 9 day. Maybe a few more kids than normal but the "spring break co-ed" crowd are attracted to the 3-5 day cruises. They normally can't afford, have the desire, or time to take a cruise much longer than that during spring break. Once you get on a cruise longer than 6-7 days the demographic of the passengers, even on Carnival, starts to change slightly.

However, many may be in different parts of Mexico doing all inclusive vacations. Depending on the ports you are going to, you may see a lot of college folks there. This probably won't affect you though.

I think it is worth the risk.

I think you will be relatively safe with the 9 day. Maybe a few more kids than normal but the "spring break co-ed" crowd are attracted to the 3-5 day cruises. They normally can't afford, have the desire, or time to take a cruise much longer than that during spring break. Once you get on a cruise longer than 6-7 days the demographic of the passengers, even on Carnival, starts to change slightly.

However, many may be in different parts of Mexico doing all inclusive vacations. Depending on the ports you are going to, you may see a lot of college folks there. This probably won't affect you though.

I think it is worth the risk.

Thanks. I was thinking the same hting, then I saw how they scheduled it. Cruise deaprts on Fri @ 4:00p.m and returns on Sun @ 7a.m. Seems as though a person who only had a week off could swing this pretty easily. Does that change your opinion?

Like I said, we did HAL, and it was a little too sedate for us, but I've just heard so many horro stories. Guess I'm looking for reassurance. If we do go, is there a time that is best (i.e. March vs. April)?

Most college spring breaks (not all) happen in March and the beginning of April. If the price is still right I would shoot for mid to late April. I've cruise Carnival on the tail end of spring break on a 6 day. It was mainly families and couples even on that short of a cruise in spring. I honestly still think you are safe with the 9 day, If you can go later in April. You may want to post this question on the Carnival board though just to see if anyone took the exact one you are thinking about though. My spring cruise with Carnival was to the Caribbean. Left late April. No issues with the Spring break crowd.

I've found that Florida is the port that seems to attract the most kids from Spring Breaks.

We took our one and only Carnival Cruise in March (seven day cruise) many years ago on Carnival out of Los Angeles for a Mexican Riviera Cruise and it was right in the middle of spring break and there were not many kids on board.

Keith

I accidently seem to have booked during spring break a short jewel OTS and the only caveat would be if you need airfare. Im spending a extra night because getting home on the monday the cruise comes back would cost me $181 extra by the time I could book (I was on a cruise when rates first came out, so I only waited a week to book).

If you need airfare you might take a look at that ahead of time. 3/25 and 3/26 are a bear out of FL (tampa or orlando anyway) .. but you said you come back in April, by then spring breakers should all be home.

Archived