Flight out of Miami, 11:05am, from FLL, Oasis

newlu

Hi,

Can we make an 11:05am flight, morning that we get off Oasis of the Seas in FLL, our flight would be at 11:05 in Miami, can we make it or is this really too close?

thanks

newlu

PS Flying back to Canada, so they ask 2 hours prior flight...

Hi,

Can we make an 11:05am flight, morning that we get off Oasis of the Seas in FLL, our flight would be at 11:05 in Miami, can we make it or is this really too close?

thanks

newlu

PS Flying back to Canada, so they ask 2 hours prior flight...

If you carry your own luggage off you'll normally be able to get off the ship at 6:15. Even if you don't, you should easily be off by 8 (if you ask to be off early) and to MIA by 9. No problem

When's your trip?

I'm leaving next week and my return flight out of FLL is at 11:10 and I'm sweating that a little...but only 2 ships in port.

If it's January and there are 6 or 7 ships, I'd be worried!

Marsha

If you do self assist you should be able to get off 1st between 7:30-8:00 am.

Have your transfer arrangements made in advance- private car or call SAS and explain you DON'T have time to circle around waiting for other passengers. It is a 45 minute ride to MIA. I just did this over the summer. Our flight was 12 noon and we left the pier at 9am, were ok, but weren't going to Canada. We did not do the self assist either. We actually got hung up at the baggage claim at the ship because our tag number was torn off. They placed the bag on a different rounder and we frantically searched for over an hour for it. FLL is way more organized with Oasis and Allure than MIA will ever be!!!

Walk off your own things and you'll be off the ship around 6:30AM, hop right in a cab and take it to the airport. You'll be there by 7:30-8AM. Plenty of time...

We made an 8AM flight out of FLL. You just have to carry off your own things - it's really not that stressful.

We are doing the same thing in Feb and I posted the same question a while ago. Our flight is at 11:15. I am a bit stressed but we will take off our own luggage. I have not booked transportation yet. Would a cab be waiting, and would they be quicker? We are flying to Detroit, so a domestic flight, hopefully this helps too.

thanks everybody. We are going to wait, we booked our flight to get to FLL and have not booked our return, but will wait, January should be reduced in prices, and flights are not 1/2 full, so we shall wait and hope for a better price our of FLL to return, dont want to stress my family.

thanks

newlu

We are going to wait, we booked our flight to get to FLL and have not booked our return, but will wait, January should be reduced in prices...

What makes you say that? January is mid-winter, high season, right? Why will you get a reduced fare then - the after Christmas rush considered, but still high season...

EDITED to add: personally, I would not do it. Too many variables beyond your control. I would never book before noon, especially out of a different city than you are disembarking.

We had a 10:30am flight out of MIA from Port of Miami and missed it because our ship came into port 2 hours late. There was a medical emergency the last night and we had to turn around. We didn't arrive in port until 9:30am. We thought we would have plenty of time to get to the airport when we booked the flight because we were supposed to be able to disembark at 7:30. Usually you will make it, but there is always the one time where something happens. Also the security lines at MIA are pretty long if you get to the airport after 9am. We paid over $800 for 2 one way tickets home (our original ones were for $99 each). Good thing we had trip insurance, they reimbursed us for the difference in price.

Coming from Ft Lauderdale you also have to factor in the potential for traffic in the morning.

I won't book a flight out of MIA any more before noon... Learned our lesson.

You can never predict the "what if's"...but assuming everything goes according to plan, you'll make it just fine.

IMO, there's nothing worse than getting off the ship (and most of the time, everyone is off by 10am) and then waiting and waiting and waiting for your mid-afternoon flight. Killing time is NOT fun.

I'd risk it...and book the earlier flight, assuming there is another flight you could take on standby, if some glitch should occur!

I know, and thank you for all your comments. I tend to agree, I will not book a flight out of Miami before 12:00pm. As for being cheaper in January, for us in Montreal, it always is, I travel every year, same time, we are leaving January 19th, that is like after the Holidays, kids start back here on January 12th, so flights from January 15 to January 30th are much cheaper then Feburary until April. Got a great rate, direct flight to go under $200 taxes included, looking to get the same to return, and we have plenty of flights from FLL to Miami, and none are full, so rates should be reasonable, if not, then we can wait until Monday and enjoy FLL even more (I wish!!).

Thanks again, but because of all of you, I will not book out of MIA before 12:00pm, as Miami is quite hectic compare to FLL.

newlu

I barely made an 1145 Air Transat flight out of FLL from Port Everglades, doing self luggage early disembark (like about 2000 other people on the ship decided to do...) When we got to FLL the lineup's were out the door, probably about 200-250 pax in line waiting to check in and drop luggage. It was really tight, barely had time to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and grab a coffee & muffin before getting on the plane. Having done the stressful risky flight home i'll never fly back before noon at the earliest - i'd rather sit and read my kindle in the airport for a couple hours!

We just got off the oasis yesterday morning with a flight out of Miami (but not until 2:45). We got off the ship at 8:00 and got to the airport around 9:15 using a shuttle. If you used a taxi instead (so you don't have to wait for other passengers etc) it'll cost around $90 and you might get there by 9:00. Personally I wouldn't take the chance though.

So would everyone suggest just jumping in a cab?

yes....OR prebook a car service...do NOT take a shuttle.....

may i make a suggestion to everyone though....if you have a question about making a flight time, etc....perhaps ask before you book something non refundable?? not trying to be nasty....just trying to give advice.

if you look around the boards, especially the cruise air board, i would guess that a large percentage of CCers book first and ask questions second....

make sure you sign up for the self assist disembarkation...you should be OK...i wouldn't do it...and just to be safe...look and see what the next flight out will be..

As for the person waiting to book a return fare...FIRST, if you're looking at XYZ air's seat map as a guide to the passenger load of a flight, that is not a good thing to do.....not accurate. Also....flying OUT of ANYPLACE warm and sunny in the winter is going to cost more later....unless a particular flight is selling poorly.....

If it helps, you aren't going through customs when you get to MIA airport... you go through customs when you get to Canada. So I think you should be OK if you're off the ship by 7:30 - 7:45. Reserve a private transfer and you should be good to get to MIA by 8:30 - 8:45 with no problems.

You are all making me nervous now. :eek: oh well' date=' to late for us to change the flights. We always get trip insurance weeks prior to our vacation.[/quote']

FYI: I do not think I have seen any trip insurance policies that cover missing an early flight. For trip insurance policies to cover missing a flight there generally has to be a very lengthy delay (i.e. your ship rolls into port six hours late). Even then, they generally cover a fixed dollar amount for a new flight that may or may not come close to covering all your additional expenses.

Thanks everybody! I am not booking the 11:15am out of Miami, too risky. As for flights to return, right now I have a choice of 8, and then I can also look at departures from Miami, but not before 12:30pm, for sure! Am not worried, and worst case scenario? Another day in FLL!!! I always travel this time of the year, for this specific reason, just adults going, less kids right after the Holidays, and flights are much cheaper.

Again, thanks everybody!!!

newlu

Thanks everybody! I am not booking the 11:15am out of Miami, too risky. As for flights to return, right now I have a choice of 8, and then I can also look at departures from Miami, but not before 12:30pm, for sure! Am not worried, and worst case scenario? Another day in FLL!!! I always travel this time of the year, for this specific reason, just adults going, less kids right after the Holidays, and flights are much cheaper.

Again, thanks everybody!!!

newlu

First of all have a great cruise. She's a beautiful ship. We will be back on the Allure in January. I can tell you from four different debarkations on the Oasis class that we have been off the ship and at the FLL airport each time no later than 6:40. We usually book the 11:00 flight but have been able to grab an earlier flight each time. In the end none of us know if there will be an issue with the ship arriving late but it's a chance that we are willing to take. :)

Archived