Censorship in Turkey???

While we were in Kusadasi (Ephesus), we stopped at a cafe that offered free wi-fi. I picked up my e-mail and then tried going to cruisecritic.com. I had no problem logging in to the main site, but every time I tried going to the message board, the computer showed an error message. I tried using both google chrome and internet explorer with the same result. Has anyone ever run into this before? Was there a glitch with cruise critic or did I run across a issue of censorship in Turkey?

I've never encountered any censorship of websites in Turkey on cruises or landbased holidays. On the other hand, I've sometimes found glitches with cruisecritic when accessing it from home in the UK and there's certainly no computer censorship here!

We have never had a problem using the internet in Turkey. One possibility is that you tried to get on the boards when they were simply down. CC has had its share of software issues in past months which sometimes has the boards totally down. In fact we just had this happen the other day for about an hour.

Hank

The Turks are well known for not wanting their citizens to know how best to get from the ship in Civitavecchia to the center of Rome. :)

Don't mock the desire for censorship in Turkey.

By Istanbul taxi drivers, to prevent cruisers from researching the true cost of a taxi ride from port to airport :D

JB :)

• 1 month later...

Yes, there seems to be censorship in Turkey, but it can vary in some regions. I am typing this from my holiday hotel on the south coast of Turkey. In this hotel, we cannot access our blog (Blogspot) or Wikipedia. We did not have a problem with this in another hotel in central Turkey. Maybe the provider or the internet cafe does some blocking too. The strange thing is that I can look at the german Wikipedia site, but not the english one.

Suddenly, this evening I cannot access the website of the Daily Mail (british newspaper) anymore here in Turkey, although I could this afternoon. I just get a message "forbidden". The newspaper reported yesterday about a woman arrested in Izmir being beaten up by police officers at the police station. The authorities obviously do not want negative press abroad.

We visited Kusadasi last month and visited a small shop advertising Wi-Fi.

I found I could not access my bt yahoo e-mail account.

When I complained to the owner, she managed to access my e-mails for me through a turkish route.

Archived