5 days til cruise LAST minute questions

carjac1

I am a bit of a planner and this first cruise is starting to make me anxious. I have two small children that I will be leaving for the first time for this long and being this far away, so my ability to contact home is extremely important. Please help if you can

1. where can I find emergency numbers for the ship? all I can find is 888 724-SHIP. I've looked all over the Royal website.

2. Wi-Fi onboard--how much are the packages and can they only be purchased once onboard? would you recommend taking my laptop or using the ships computers?:confused:

I think the contact number for the ship should be in your final cruise docs. Or try the customer service number, they should be able to give it to you.

As for the computer situation, I have used both. My laptop worked fine, although slow! But the ship computers are just fine, too. I've also heard some people using Skype in Internet cafes in port.

Have a wonderful time!

Jane

Planning is good! I'm actually an over planner. lol The previous poster is correct, the phone number for your ship should be in your documents. Please do remember that it costs seven something a minute and will be charged to your account on board if you call out, whether in port or at sea. It can mount up very quickly so you have to be really quick! I usually just leave the emergency number with those at home and if there is a problem, they will call. Regarding the computer--I have both used theirs and taken mine. I don't remember exactly what the price is per minute to be on line, but it isn't cheap. I found it much easier to control my time on line, thus keeping my bill to a minimum, by using their computers. I also didn't have to worry about mine getting damaged or stolen. Needless to say, I never take mine anymore. You will find a coupon in your on-board coupon book for a discount on an internet package. Depends on where you are cruising, but I've found that there are internet cafes at almost every port I've been in that are very reasonably priced. They are mainly there for the ship crews that come into port to keep in touch with their families. I've used them in South America and Mexico and they were terrific and cheap. There is always someone there, too, if you need some help. I know you are going to have a wonderful time!

Pamela

(Tucson, AZ)

There is cell phone service on board. Also text massaging. It's different for different carriers. You can access the info from RCI here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_Connected.pdf

You can also search these boards...there are tons of discussions about cell phones. On my last cruise a text message was 50c.

One other thing I've done is use the phone rooms at the ports. You can pay cash for a certain ammount of minutes and call home from there and not have to worry about ringing up a gigantic phone charge.

Hope that helps

Ry

Planning is good! I'm actually an over planner. lol The previous poster is correct, the phone number for your ship should be in your documents. Please do remember that it costs seven something a minute and will be charged to your account on board if you call out, whether in port or at sea. It can mount up very quickly so you have to be really quick! I usually just leave the emergency number with those at home and if there is a problem, they will call. Regarding the computer--I have both used theirs and taken mine. I don't remember exactly what the price is per minute to be on line, but it isn't cheap. I found it much easier to control my time on line, thus keeping my bill to a minimum, by using their computers. I also didn't have to worry about mine getting damaged or stolen. Needless to say, I never take mine anymore. You will find a coupon in your on-board coupon book for a discount on an internet package. Depends on where you are cruising, but I've found that there are internet cafes at almost every port I've been in that are very reasonably priced. They are mainly there for the ship crews that come into port to keep in touch with their families. I've used them in South America and Mexico and they were terrific and cheap. There is always someone there, too, if you need some help. I know you are going to have a wonderful time!

Pamela

(Tucson, AZ)

Actually, as a first time cruiser, you will not receive a coupon book, as those are for C&A members, which you cannot become until you have completed your first cruise:(

We leave our little doggie at a "Pet Spa" while we are away and my daughter always calls to check on him from an internet cafe at the ports. MUCH cheaper. Emergency numbers will be on your documents. If you use a Travel Agent, he's always good to give me the emergency numbers. I can't be sure, but I believe the cheapest internet package is around $75 and I don't remember how much time you get, but the computers are slow and eat up the minutes quickly.

I am a bit of a planner and this first cruise is starting to make me anxious. I have two small children that I will be leaving for the first time for this long and being this far away, so my ability to contact home is extremely important. Please help if you can

1. where can I find emergency numbers for the ship? all I can find is 888 724-SHIP. I've looked all over the Royal website.

2. Wi-Fi onboard--how much are the packages and can they only be purchased once onboard? would you recommend taking my laptop or using the ships computers?:confused:

888-724-SHIP is the emergency number for all RCI ships. Anyone who needs to call you should have the name of the ship and your stateroom number and a credit card available in order to be put into contact with you. You don't need a special number to call home from the ship, but it will be expensive as will using your cell phone, but in an emergency situation such costs will probably be irrelevant. Check with your cell carrier to see if they offer coverage at less expensive rates from any of the ports you are visiting. As others have metioned the internet rates onboard can be expensive whether you simply pay the basic rates or purchase a special package. Again internet cafes in some of the ports may offer better prices. I have used the ship's computers and my own laptop and usually find there is little or not difference as far as speed goes and it is generally not worth the bother of bringing my laptop along unless I am staying somewhere either pre or post-cruise.:)

I always use the Internet cafes in the ports. They are inexpensive and convenient. I've been to some that you just use the computers as long as you need them, then pay at the counter as you leave. I've also been to some where you plug money into a machine next to the computer as you go along. Either way, I've never spent more than, maybe, $5 and was able to check all my emails and do some instant messaging with friends back home.

I have AT&T for my cell service. They do work on the ship, but it's around $8 per minute. But, texting is cheaper, if you just want a quick conversation with somebody back home. For me, incoming text messages are free, and outgoing messages are 50 cents each. On my last cruise, I was with a friend, and my husband stayed home. We texted each other a lot, and my texting bill when I got home was only $30. It was much cheaper than talking on the phone. :)

Went to RCCL web site, typed in "internet" and got the following:

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

I took my laptop. I found it convenient to get up each morning, head to promenade, get my mug of coffee, up to the 9th hole, and log in. Also, TVs were on with ESPN, so I could get scores. No one was ever there, always had the entire place to myself.

Also, if you need to compose emails, you can do it off line on your laptop, so you do not run your minutes up. I also used my laptop regularly to download my pictures each day.

I found the WIFI pretty good, no complaints about performance.

Thanks for all the info and helping to relieve my anxiety. I think I will be purchasing a package, but not taking my laptop (one less thing to fly with and keep track of!) I also was pleased to find our AT&T plan already includes an international roaming package so calls would be $2.95 a min. IF needed. I am not planning to call home, but want the option. Thanks again

The phone number your were given IS the number your family/friends will call in case of emergency. Make sure you leave them the ship's name and your cabin #, too!

E-mail is the cheapest option for keeping in touch.

I'm assuming you're leaving your kids with someone you trust....so, trust them! They will take great care of your little ones, and the kids will be just fine! Really, they will! And, this is an important lesson to them.....mom and day can go away, but they come back! It's all a part of growing up.

Try not to stress!

I talked my mom into watching my kids (ages 5 and 3) when we went on our first cruise. Her advice: Do NOT call to check on the kids. It will only upset them. If there is a problem, we will contact you.

You know, she was right. We had a good time and the kids did just fine.

You have to trust whoever you leave them with and make sure you give them your health insurance info, doctor's names/numbers, and the proper permissions for treatment if needed.

I have pets at home so I am always calling my sitter to see how the girls are doing. It is anxiety producing as if the sitter is not that I freak out and my night or day is ruined until I reach her. not to mention constantly getting charged for getting voicemail.

Last year I took my laptop and I was not happy with the Internet service.

Often times it was hard connecting, slow response and I was better off when I

used the ship's computer.

If someone needs to call you tell them to call the RCCL number, ask for your ship and your stateroom. I would tell them to have their credit card number as well. Also, make sure they call your cellphone number first and/or text you then call the ship. I do not know what the procedure is if they call your cabin and there is no answer - does the operator take the message and it shows up on your cabin or do they try to page you if its an emergency? What if you are in port? Cover all bases I say.

Just to add...if it's Grandparents with your children, I can say from personal experience that we Grandparents plan loads of fun, pampering and special times that are cherished by us. It's such a special thing to have them all to ourselves and we want it to be something wonderful and we want to be asked to do it again. We are extremely careful with them and just can't get enough of listening to their little voices, and making them laugh. I was more excited about the first time my Grandson got to stay with me without his parents, than his parents were about their vacation. I was still smiling when I went to bed and fell asleep..with little feet and legs sprawled across me!! Enjoy your cruise!

I have AT&T for my cell service. They do work on the ship, but it's around $8 per minute.

Perhaps you are confusing your cell phone rates with the stateroom phone rates. AT&T is generally 2.49/minute (onboard, roaming), at least in the common cruise ship itinerary areas. The phone in your stateroom will cost 7.95/minute if you call home.

There is cell phone service on board. Also text massaging. It's different for different carriers. You can access the info from RCI here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_Connected.pdf

Hope that helps

Ry

Just be careful, this list is outdated (as there's no AT&T but Cingular instead). I'd call RCI and ask.

Archived