Upscale cruise without formal dress code

wheaton24

We're looking for a small to mid size ship (under 1,000 passengers) that provides luxury but has a casual dress code (no "formal" nights with tuxes and gowns). We also prefer a newer ship. I've heard Azamara and Oceania fit the bill. Any other suggestions ?

Oceania now has two sizes of ships -- R and Marina classes. The R ships hold 674 passengers, are definitely upscale, have what is often thought to be the best food in the cruise business, but the R ships are not new. They have been, like all cruise ships, refurbished on a regular basis, and are in great shape, but they are not new. The Marina (first of the Marina class curiously) and the Riviera (coming out in 2012) are twice that size -- 1250 passengers -- but are new.

Azamara has some of the old R ships as well.

As for the luxury lines, you will have to check with each one to check their level of formality. DW and I love Oceania for many things, but the lack of any formal nights (country club casual every night in the MDR and the specialty dining venues) is one we enjoy.

Seabourn has a 'resort casual' code most night, with approximately one 'formal optional' night each week. We were on a recent cruise and DH just wore a sports jacket and tie for the 'formal' night and was not remotely out of place or comfortable. Ties were not required the rest of the time, when the standard outfit for men seemed to be collared shirt and slacks / chinos at night, and shirt / polo-shirt / t-shirt with shorts or casual trousers by day. All very relaxed, and I didn't see anyone I would consider to be 'inappropriately attired'.

It's true that Oceania's "R" are not new, however, they keep those ships in pristine condition and look and feel brand new. The decor is tasteful and in my opinion makes it timeless. you can tell the crew take great pride in their ship.

The food on Oceania is very, very good. The food in the specialty restaurants is even better...and there's no extra chage either.

Dress code is Country Club Casual, although some folks will dress up.

Entertainment is much more subdude than on the mass market ships. I enjoyed it, but some people are disappointed that there's no glitzt shows. There's simply not enough room to put them on.

You really want to price out different lines and itineraries. Regent is for example "all inclusive" and Oceania is not.

Consider Regent - no formal nights - just "Elegant Casual".

Next month will be our 4th cruise on that line - it's quite 'inclusive'. Pricey, but you DO get what you pay for!

We'll also be doing our 4th cruise with Regent (RSSC) in January, 2012, and absolutely love everything about them. They recently did away with formal nights and every night is now elegant casual, as mentioned in the above posting. However, I still like to bring a long dress and wear it during the captain's welcome party. My husband also wears a suit or at least a sports coat during some of the nights, although other nights he may just wear a long-sleeved shirt.

Also, the Mariner and the Voyager accommodate 700 passengers and the Navigator 480, so definitely small yet spacious ships. Try them out!:)

Archived