Do chair hogs exist on Princess (not that I want them to)

luv2cruz62

I may have misunderstood a previous post (and I do apologize if I did..) Even if a person had another reason for being up early, like going to the gym, the chair they left their stuff on is chairhogged unless they are back in 20 min. to use it.

Step 1: Prior to breakfast, observe whether there are any chairs being hogged that you would like to use.

Step 2: Eat breakfast. Take your time.

Step 3: Return to the chair: Is the chair free? Move on to step 4.

Step 3a: Is it hogged? Move on to step 5.

Step 4: SIT YOUR BUTT DOWN!

Step 5: MOVE THAT STUFF!

Step 6: SIT YOUR BUTT DOWN!

Really, I doubt a chair hog is willing to start an argument over having hogged a chair, considering they should know full well that it's against the rules to reserve a chair for longer than a 30 minute period. Simply direct them to their stuff and, who knows, maybe they'll learn a lesson from the situation.

Wow, you must be naive if you believe this. On an X cruise in the med in July there were several arguments and an actual fight over sun chairs. No way would I ever touch anyone elses belongings, just not worth the hassle, we're supposed to be relaxing!

I must really be in the minority, but I haven't found chair hogs to be a big problem on Princess or HAL cruises we've been on.

We mostly use the Aft and the pool near the Spa on Princess.

That said, we don't hand all day in the sun, nor do I want to sit at the pool's edge.

We have always had a balcony and when I want to read in peace and quiet, I go to there.

I have no problem asking the staff to move stuff on a chair that's been there for 1/2 hour or more. But, really, it's not been a big problem.

I think the chair hogs will be on any cruise line. usually we don't find it to be a huge problem but we don't generally sit for hours by the pool. We go to the pool for a couple hours a couple of times and we will just walk around until we find a place to sit. Otherwise we will just relax on our balcony :)

I may have misunderstood a previous post (and I do apologize if I did..) Even if a person had another reason for being up early, like going to the gym, the chair they left their stuff on is chairhogged unless they are back in 20 min. to use it.

You probably read the same one that I was looking at. It is 30 minutes...but that 30 minutes is not about being able to throw stuff on the chair and going off to the spa or the gym. It's more about already using the chair and then jumping into the pool or running to the restroom. In that case, you are using the chair. The previous examples you are trying to reserve a chair for later use, which is against the rules on Princess and probably all other cruiselines.

I have been on other cruise lines forums (and sailed NCL and RCL), and have read quite a bit about chair hogs. But I dont see many threads regarding chair hogs on Princess...does that mean they dont exist on Princess.....that would be nice!:p

We are on the Golden to Hawaii on January 18th, and have 8 sea days....and I dont really want to have issues. I would like to go to any one of the pool areas at any time of day, and be able to find a nice comfy chair! (although all the photos I have see regarding the aft pool ...there is never anyone there.....is that a good thing....:rolleyes: )

At that time of the year, there could be a few days at the start and end of the cruise where it may not be sunny or warm enough to use the uncovered pool. So it would be pretty easy to find a chair at that pool on those days. Pool users would tend to use the one under the retractable roof, but then they aren't going to be there to bask in the sun, but to use the pool or hot tubs.

I've found chair hogs to be a problem on every cruise we're on, but we are always able to find chairs; maybe not always right by the pool, but that's ok.

I don't actually get why people have to have chairs right by the pool unless they have small children. It's usually the noisiest, busyiest, most crowded location. I actually like being somewhere calmer.

The only issue on some cruises is finding chairs on upper decks where the wind is not a factor.

I know it is rude but really think it is much ado about nothing. So yu have to walk an extra 20 feet to get to the pool, big deal. I usually use the lotus pool and have rarely seen lounges not available except the fancy ones right around the pool. Relax, folks, that is what you are there for not to get fussed over a 20 foot walk

You talkin to me? YOU TALKING TO ME??? There was absolutely nothing on this chair when I got here!!

Now I'm completely deaf to your ranting and raving! You invade my space and I'm calling security!

DING DING DING We have the proper response with what to say to a chair hog....:)

So far, touch wood, we have not had many issues with this breed on Princess, thankfully..... as the ones I saw at Dreams Puerto Vallarta were quite confrontional and aggressive.

I have no problem with checking a chair out for an hour or so and if they do not come back, I ask a staff member to move the items as clearly the person *forgot* the towel, cheap sunglasses or ripped paperback when they left the pool area.:D:eek:

I found the chair hog problem to be the worst I've ever seen on my last cruise on th Star. There were literally hundreds of unoccupied chairs in each pool area with maybe a few people actually using the pool. Maybe one in ten chairs were actually occupied. Where all the occupants of the empty chairs were was a mystery. This went on every day and I never saw any type of chair hog enforcement.

I believe that an attendant should move the belongings of any chair that remains empty for more than 30 minutes unless the occupant is in the pool area.

Just came back from the Island (detailed report to follow when I can) - There were scattered reports of hogs at the lido pool, none at the lotus that I heard. There was a posting in the patter that items would be removed after 15 minutes.

YES, big time.

We have never seen Princess staff do anything about it either. Not good.

Just came back from the Island (detailed report to follow when I can) - There were scattered reports of hogs at the lido pool, none at the lotus that I heard. There was a posting in the patter that items would be removed after 15 minutes.

15 minutes?! That's crazy. That's barely enough time to get wet in the pool! Even going to the ladies' could easily take longer than that, once you factor in the walk there and back and any possible line ahead of you. I certainly hope they didn't enforce that idiotic rule; I'd be royally ticked off if I lost my chair just because I had to go to the bathroom.

I've found chair hogs to be a problem on every cruise we're on, but we are always able to find chairs; maybe not always right by the pool, but that's ok.

I don't actually get why people have to have chairs right by the pool unless they have small children. It's usually the noisiest, busyiest, most crowded location. I actually like being somewhere calmer.

The only issue on some cruises is finding chairs on upper decks where the wind is not a factor.

the only reason I would need to be by the pool is because my daughter would be in the water. And the same for other parents. Any kid under the age of 13 should have a corresponding parent nearby, IMO.

15 minutes isn't long enough as someone could be using the restroom or in the pool. But every once in a while, maybe someone on the deck staff could place an object on the top part of the chair -- like a towel hanging off the back. Then after 30 minutes or so, walk around and remove objects on those chairs. Just like parking enforcement marks tires of cars parked in a short term parking area. It's been brought up in previous threads that there could be cubbyholes installed near the pool. If you just want to use the pool, but don't think you'll want to sit around afterwards, you could put your towel/room key, etc. in a cubbyhole. If a crew member removes items from a chair, those could be placed in one of the holes, too.

the only reason I would need to be by the pool is because my daughter would be in the water. And the same for other parents. Any kid under the age of 13 should have a corresponding parent nearby' date=' IMO.

15 minutes isn't long enough as someone could be using the restroom or in the pool. But every once in a while, maybe someone on the deck staff could place an object on the top part of the chair -- like a towel hanging off the back. Then after 30 minutes or so, walk around and remove objects on those chairs. Just like parking enforcement marks tires of cars parked in a short term parking area. It's been brought up in previous threads that there could be cubbyholes installed near the pool. If you just want to use the pool, but don't think you'll want to sit around afterwards, you could put your towel/room key, etc. in a cubbyhole. If a crew member removes items from a chair, those could be placed in one of the holes, too.[/quote']

I totally agree that people with young kids should be able to get chairs at the pool. We have taken grandchildren on cruises and have had extreme difficulty finding a chair close enough to watch them. A couple of times we have had 5 or 6 people trying to use the same chair, in shifts and to hold their towels, or we've just had to sit on the edge or stand up.

Where do the scattered reports come from? :confused:

We didn't have a problem with chair hogs on the cruise last week.

People who didn't know where they were going and just milled around making it hard to walk by them, yes.

The clueless women on the Barbados tour who kept our bus waiting while they bought out the Batik store, yes.

But that's for another thread.

This is a trick I have used many times at land resorts. I arrive at the pool and survey around for empty lounges. I get myself a drink and enjoy it while I keep my eye on one or two suspected hog chairs. If in fifteen or twenty minutes no ones shows, I stand by my selected chair and wait till a staff member comes by and hand him the towel and tell him these were forgotten by the person who left over fifteen to twenty minutes ago. They take them and I sit. I have had the hog return over one hour latter and demand I leave. I tell him loud enough for others to hear that no one can reserve chairs for personal use. I call a staff member over and have him verify there is no chair reserving. They always leave embarrassed. I now reach for my sunscreen and get another drink.

Printed statements like that only encourage even more chair hogging, by myself included.

Hate to harsh your high, but chair hogs do exist on every cruise line. Although you are at sea for 8 days, I'd be a little surprised if your weather is good enough to lay out for half of those days since we have chilly weather here in January for at least half of the trip until you get into more tropical waters. However, seeing that you're from Canada, 60 degrees to you might feel hot!:D

We are from California, so if the temp dips below 70 we're cold. lol

Archived