What to do if Dining is Waitlisted on Queen Victoria

oceansandseas

Phoned Cunard to make a booking today. Told that early dining was confirmed but after getting the email I see that it shows Waitlisted for first seating. Phoned Cunard back and was told that I would probably get my early seating. She could not guarantee though which I understand. I still could cancel if I did not get the early seating confirmed before final payment she told me. However I would like to take the cruise. DH and I would not like to eat so late either. This would have been a deal breaker if I had known.

If we do not get an early seating, what alternatives are there for evening dining on Queen Victoria. I know what it is like on Queen Mary 2 but this is the first time that we have been on Queen Victoria. Todd English is not for us. I do not think that I would like to have room service every night even though we have a balcony. I would feel that I missed something on the cruise if I did not have dinner in the Britannia Dining Room every evening.

Do most people who are waitlisted get their preference before sailing. Thanks to all replies.

A decent tip to the MaitreD' once on board will get you whatever you need.

Oh gees, Griller, please don't go down that road! :eek:

You may be right, but it is also true that we have NEVER tipped when asking for a change of table - I think it would be insulting. Just my personal opinion. -S

Success depends on whehter it is a large or a small insult!

ROFL

Was it P G Wodehouse who said "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine"?

If it was, he could reasonably have added "And it is nigh on impossible to insult one with an offer of cash"

:D:D:D

J

We have been on two cruises with Cunard and both times been waitlisted. Not to worry though..as soon as we got on board, we checked our table and time assignment then headed straight to the maitre'd, who either changed it at that moment or worst case scenario we had to wait until the next day. In that case we just ate in Kings Court or Lido. Hope this helps.

Barbara

Why/when does Cunard waitlist a passenger? Isn't it when there is no place available?

If so, how would a tip/bribe/insult get one? Will the MaitreD' expel somebody?

Who? Will he anounce: ladies and gentlemen, I got a $50 offer for an early dining seat, any bids for not being expelled? :confused:

Why/when does Cunard waitlist a passenger? Isn't it when there is no place available?

If so, how would a tip/bribe/insult get one? Will the MaitreD' expel somebody?

Who? Will he anounce: ladies and gentlemen, I got a $50 offer for an early dining seat, any bids for not being expelled? :confused:

Only $50?:eek:

They don't confirm 100% of the seats in either seating, at least not upfront. IMO it's similar to an airline not pre-assigning all of the seats on a flight. If you buy a ticket for a flight that's almost full it's common not to have a seat assignment until you check in at the airport. The same logic is at work here.

If you're waitlisted several months out I predict that you'll get your choice of seating, at least after talking to the maitre'd.

Oh gees, Griller, please don't go down that road! :eek:

You may be right, but it is also true that we have NEVER tipped when asking for a change of table - I think it would be insulting. Just my personal opinion. -S

On our second trip we were seated with a French & German couple. None of us spoke the other's language. It was a rather bizarre set up. We saw the Maitre D that eve. He changed it to a table for 2 for the rest of the trip. We did discreetly tip him near the end of the trip. He performed that service, as well as made reservations for Todd English, therefore I felt a gratuity was in order.

The only time I have had to approach the M.d’ was when we had mistakenly been allocated 1st sitting instead of second. I was about halfway down a very long line to see him. When I gave him my request he greeted it with cries of joy. Perhaps he should have tipped me?

Shiny

Archived