Confiscation!!

ddcile5

OP...sorry for your loss but it's not your visualization of wha tthe bag looks like, it's what it is in actuality and if it's not within th erules, it's your loss. DW bought a similar type of bag, which I nicked before we left (went with a collaspable cooler and some extra trash bags for leeak lining) because it was a) clearly a cooler recognizable by any schmo off th estreet as a cooler bag despite the pretty outside, and b) it was over sized in length by 3 inches, dead give away.

For those here who don't or no longer use Carnival just because they took away your cooler/alcohol/contraband/what-have-you, you need to read the rules in your contract...they don't say maybe, if you ask pretty please. They clearly state what is allowed and not allowed. Same goes for any cruise lines. Some don't even allow you to bring your own soda and wine. Others charge you corkage fees for your own wine whether you drink it in your cabin or the MDR. There are even regular baggage restrictions enforced by some other lines, from tales I've heard. If you think you can get away with skirting the rules, you're certainly not prohibited from trying. But you do run the risk of losing items that violate the rules so be prepared to accept the loss, with a shrug, and a plastic garbage bag.

I just DON'T see why coolers are taboo. Look at the volume of soda you are allowed to bring on board! On my Dream cruise, I saw a man rolling a luggage carrier with 4, yes 4, cases of soda. Ice will be needed to cool them on board, possibly had a cooler in his main luggage, or they can use the cabin refrigerators anyway!

I guess I have a vision of normal sized softside coolers, but bigger than 12". If coolers are banned, why, oh why, do they allow bringing soda on board? All that cuts into their financial gain and they still will have to provide ways to cool it.

I just DON'T see why coolers are taboo. Look at the volume of soda you are allowed to bring on board! On my Dream cruise, I saw a man rolling a luggage carrier with 4, yes 4, cases of soda. Ice will be needed to cool them on board, possibly had a cooler in his main luggage, or they can use the cabin refrigerators anyway!

I guess I have a vision of normal sized softside coolers, but bigger than 12". If coolers are banned, why, oh why, do they allow bringing soda on board? All that cuts into their financial gain and they still will have to provide ways to cool it.

My guess is the possible leaking that can cause damage to furniture/carpet. Smaller cooler (12x12) less damage? I dunno.

I was stopped at the x-ray machine last cruise at Jacksonville port, because I had used a rolling cooler as my carry-on. I had soda, wine, small fan and toiletries in it. The girl said I couldn't take it onboard as it was a cooler. I told her it wasn't being used as a cooler and I had a small cooler in my checked luggage. She asked her supervisor if it was "ok" to go and luckily he said "yes". I was so relieved and happy that I didn't have to end up carrying all that stuff in a trash bag. :(

Since then, I only take a small cooler with me. Lesson learned!!!

I would have been furious. No matter the fine print.

Just so I don't get this wrong, correct me here if I'm wrong:

A plastic lined:

12 x 12 x 12 full of wine and soda is OK. One for him and one for her, and one for each of the two kids is OK too?

But a single 12 x 12 x 13 full of documents, books, and purse and clothes and the babies diapers, and no drink-ables at all, gives them the right to steal and/or destroy your carry-on ?

And a plastic lined bag of any size is OK if folded up in your packed bags ? Or is this against the rules too, but everyone can get away with it?

You know, other cruise lines look better and better all the time.

I would have been furious. No matter the fine print.

Just so I don't get this wrong, correct me here if I'm wrong:

A plastic lined:

12 x 12 x 12 full of wine and soda is OK. One for him and one for her, and one for each of the two kids is OK too?

But a single 12 x 12 x 13 full of documents, books, and purse and clothes and the babies diapers, and no drink-ables at all, gives them the right to steal and/or destroy your carry-on ?

And a plastic lined bag of any size is OK if folded up in your packed bags ? Or is this against the rules too, but everyone can get away with it?

You know, other cruise lines look better and better all the time.

A 12x12x12 cooler is not really that big~~ it probably holds one 6pack, if that~ they let people bring small coolers on for medications mainly~ if you have a collapsable cooler that you bring on in your luggage a room steward will fill it everyday ~the reason they have this restriction is people used to fill up a full sized hard sided cooler with soda, taped it up and send it with the porters~ like another poster said at least we are able to bring soda, wine and water onboard~ I know on RCCL you can't bring any of that!

A 12x12x12 cooler is not really that big~~ it probably holds one 6pack, if that~ they let people bring small coolers on for medications mainly~ if you have a collapsable cooler that you bring on in your luggage a room steward will fill it everyday ~the reason they have this restriction is people used to fill up a full sized hard sided cooler with soda, taped it up and send it with the porters~ like another poster said at least we are able to bring soda, wine and water onboard~ I know on RCCL you can't bring any of that!

I think the issue is less about what's allowed on and more about CCL confiscating her carry-on.

Everything she had in the bag was given back to her because she only brought what was allowed...but they STOLE her freakin' bag???

I can't believe anyone would think this is acceptable. :confused:

Sucks about the bag....but I'm trying to figure out how they let u through with TWO bottles of wine since its one per person. Sounds like security got it backwards...imagine that! You think it would be logical take the extra wine than a bag.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

I think the issue is less about what's allowed on and more about CCL confiscating her carry-on.

Everything she had in the bag was given back to her because she only brought what was allowed...but they STOLE her freakin' bag???

I can't believe anyone would think this is acceptable. :confused:

If it was a rolling cooler that was larger than 12x12x12 then Carnival was in the right~granted they should have a system where they can store the bag until the person disembarks and they can get it back, but if you've read the rules (or posts on this board) you should no that they do not allow coolers as carry on's period.

I had one that I got from CPS Energy here that was on wheels. It is small and black inside and out and I thought it would be great to use for my water and wine and I really wanted to use it on my last cruise, but after reading how strict they were on coolers I ended up not taking it. I didnt want to chance losing it. It was even smaller then the rolling carry on I did take. I really dont understand why the big deal. I think if the rolling coolers are the same size or smaller the carry on's there shouldnt be a problem.

check it. I have the same type cooler and love it. I take it every cruise. However, I pack stuff in it and check it, knowing it's a cooler and they would take it with drinks in it. I pack all kinds of misc. stuff in it. I then take a regular rolling suitcase with all the water, soda & wine thru regular check in. Switch it out when it all gets to the room..

Just a tip for the future~;)

Sucks about the bag....but I'm trying to figure out how they let u through with TWO bottles of wine since its one per person. Sounds like security got it backwards...imagine that! You think it would be logical take the extra wine than a bag.

WHY??

I carried on 2 bottles of wine ... 1 for me and 1 for my husband. We both boarded together it was just that I had both bottles in my tote bag. It was the same with our drinks.. we had them all in our smallest wheeled LUGGAGE and had our collapsible cooler inside our checked luggage.

One bottle for her, one bottle for her DH. Two bottles.

The same thing happened to me at Galveston a year ago! My bag was about an inch over the regulated size. They took it from me and said it would be destroyed. YEAH RIGHT! .

I have read enough threads and seen that coolers even 1/2 inch over in one dimension get taken (or you can take them back to the car). It sounds mean when I warn people that they risk getting it taken, but I think people should know and if they ask before they go, I say .. people have gotten them taken, so just be clear its a risk you want to take.

I dont blame Carnival myself. People used to slap a luggage tag on them filled with drinks and just hand them to the porter. Had to stop the abuse of the system and get stricter .. you could see it coming.

I have read enough threads and seen that coolers even 1/2 inch over in one dimension get taken (or you can take them back to the car). It sounds mean when I warn people that they risk getting it taken, but I think people should know and if they ask before they go, I say .. people have gotten them taken, so just be clear its a risk you want to take.

I dont blame Carnival myself. People used to slap a luggage tag on them filled with drinks and just hand them to the porter. Had to stop the abuse of the system and get stricter .. you could see it coming.

I can see that too...S.

I had the same thing happen to me in New Orleans...we had a rolling case that originally was a cooler...but it had some holes in the lining, but made a great rolling case. We had clothes in it and nothing drinkable.

the also gave us black plastic bags to put stuff in, and gave us a card with a number. When we got back, we did get our cooler back.

Carnival wants to discourage you from taking any drinks on board...but this is getting nuts.

thats my guess too.

With all the threads that say you either need a collasible cooler or dont take it if its over sized, people have been warned.. sorry you got yours taken, at least you got it back.

I think the rules that keep getting stricter to limit the size now of the drinks you carry on .. yep, its to discourage people from carrying on tons of drinks and to buy theirs. surprise? not me.

I was using a VERY cute brown and pink polk dot rolling bag for a carry on.

It was very easy to use with the wheels and held all my stuff including my wine and soda!! It was supposidly classified as a cooler since it had a white plastic lining and they made me take out everything ie my 2 bottles of wine and my soda and all my carry on items like purse, etc. and took it from me!!:mad:

They made me put all my items in a plastic bag. I asked to have it tagged so I could get it back when we returned but they said no it was going to be destroyed!!:eek: My bag was no bigger than anyone elses carry on and even fit thru and went thru the the X-ray machine!! I opened it for them because they said if I had wine in it I had to have it inspected, that is when they saw the white lining that they said that made it a cooler!!

So lesson learned , no bags with plastic liners that make the bag a cooler!!

Boy did I love that bag!!:mad:

P.S. I was able to take on my 2 bottles of wine and soda, plus all my other carry on items to the ship in a flimsey plastic bag.

And to think if you were not honest and said you did not have wine that the bag would have stayed closed and they would not have known.

On another note...please correct me if I am wrong. If you bring too much wine or soda or even beer, that they confiscate it, put it aside for you to pick up after the cruise? Rules are rules, I completely understand. Not sure why the bag could not go in a room with lost luggage and be picked up after the cruise.

So sorry for your lost. I hope the rest of your cruise was wonderful!

I have to wonder how many new bookings Carnival would get if they had a check list you had to agree to line by line whenever you booked a cruise:

We have the right to take away any of your stuff we want to for any reason: OK

We can skip ports, or not sail at all for any reason and you still pay full rate: OK

Ok lots of discussion here. Good to learn rules.

But the point I was trying to make was my supposedly cooler bag too me was not a cooler just a rolling bag with plastic lining. I thought if bottles of wine broke my other stuff in outside pockets would stay dry and safe!!

Second why not tag it to retrieve after cruise or let me mail it home at my cost. I would have! I wanted to put it in my checked luggage but it was already gone so no luck there.!! Do irons etc get destoyed?? They must have a room for all the confiscated alcohol, irons etc that you retrieve?

And why can others take HUGE carry ones with their soda and wine and because it doesn't have plastic lining it is allowed?? My rolling bad was smaller than most carry ones I saw!

And yes my husband was with me so one of the bottles was his!!:)

I learned my lesson but the hard way... and I cannot replace my rolling bag as I got it at a place that rotates mechandice etc, like a wholesale club.

Ok lots of discussion here. Good to learn rules.

But the point I was trying to make was my supposedly cooler bag too me was not a cooler just a rolling bag with plastic lining. I thought if bottles of wine broke my other stuff in outside pockets would stay dry and safe!!

Second why not tag it to retrieve after cruise or let me mail it home at my cost. I would have! I wanted to put it in my checked luggage but it was already gone so no luck there.!! Do irons etc get destoyed?? They must have a room for all the confiscated alcohol, irons etc that you retrieve?

And why can others take HUGE carry ones with their soda and wine and because it doesn't have plastic lining it is allowed?? My rolling bad was smaller than most carry ones I saw!

And yes my husband was with me so one of the bottles was his!!:)

I learned my lesson but the hard way... and I cannot replace my rolling bag as I got it at a place that rotates mechandice etc, like a wholesale club.

Yes..I for one just want you to know i got that and am sorry and appreciate your warning.....do not think it was fair..but get Carnival's crack down...hope you find an even nicer one soon and can line it again or something,,,Sarah

I have to wonder how many new bookings Carnival would get if they had a check list you had to agree to line by line whenever you booked a cruise:

We have the right to take away any of your stuff we want to for any reason: OK

We can skip ports, or not sail at all for any reason and you still pay full rate: OK

I admit I dont know why they would not return the cooler at the end of the cruise. That makes no sense to me. Iv also had two wine openers confiscated I didnt get back, and to me the corkscrew did not exceed 4 inches, made no sense to me. .. and had a little 6 ft extension cord taken (customs told me its a risk I might hang myself... way too short!!!)

But there are rules, the OP just says she did not realize that it doubles as a rolling cooler.

The only thing I can think of is that then they are responsible for getting it on board and safeguarding it and getting it back to you. They'd rather say "get rid of it or trash it". I can see their point, but wouldn't it just be best to enforce the rules on what alcohol you can bring aboard and what weight bags you can bring and how many?

I Iv also had two wine openers confiscated I didnt get back, and to me the corkscrew did not exceed 4 inches, made no sense to me. .. and had a little 6 ft extension cord taken (customs told me its a risk I might hang myself... way too short!!!)

Is this a joke?

I don't think so... but we ALWAYS take a regular metal corkscrew, and we ALWAYS take an extension cord, and we have never had a problem with either. Not sure why they pick on poor firefly, lol...

OP, Sorry to hear about that cool bag of yours. I'd be a little upset myself.

WHY??

I carried on 2 bottles of wine ... 1 for me and 1 for my husband. We both boarded together it was just that I had both bottles in my tote bag. It was the same with our drinks.. we had them all in our smallest wheeled LUGGAGE and had our collapsible cooler inside our checked luggage.

Gotcha! ;)

I was aware the other bottle of wine HAD to be in the other persons bag. So they wouldn't try to take it.

We didn't say anything about our wine in our bags. I figured if they wanted to see it so bad. They would have opened it. But they didn't say a word I even had my cork screw and they didn't blink.

I truly don't understand why they would "have" to distroy your bag?? Why can't they give it back at the end of the cruise, like they do booze.

Maybe you can find a carry on like it for next time! ;)

Archived