Been to Cayman Islands A Few Times, We Need Something New to Do!!

Desertbelle

Definitely rent a car/jeep and explore. There are some beautiful views and beaches around the island. Plenty of little towns and things to see. I would just hear out and follow the road. It runs pretty much all the way around the island. It's hard to get lost on Grand Caymen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Desertbelle, Capt. BJ mentioned "hangin out at My Bar" on an earlier post. Very few cruisers know what and where that is. A few years ago he suggested to us to try out snorkeling at "Sunsethouse Dive Resort," It's a resort hotel just up the street from Eden Rock Dive Shop. It is for the scuba enthusiasts mostly but they have also built a man made pool right in the rock shoreline with an opening on one end for venturing out into the ocean if one wants to. A great place for a novice snorkeler to get started. "My Bar" is the name of the restaurant/bar right on the ocean shore where a lot of the locals hang out at.

We went there and asked at the front desk if we could use there facility for snorkeling in there pool, fully prepared to pay for it, but they didn't charge anything and there's no day pass to buy, and they're some of the most friendly people you'll ever meet. They took us by the hand, so to speak, and introduced us to the Dive Shop manager (Mike) and also to the gift shop where I bought an underwater 35 mm underwater camera for about $25. Then we climed down the ladder into the pool and snorkeled all morning totally alone. It was like swimming in someone's aquarium and I never even went out of the opening to the deeper water. Then we went to the "My Bar" restaurant and had a few cold drinks overlooking the ocean and our cruiseship. It really made for a great day and I give thanks to Capt. BJ for it all. You can google the place and see what I mean.. It's best to take a taxi, but you can walk it too. Just turn right off the pier and go straight up the road til you get there, about 1 mile or so.

Love the idea of renting a car. Looking for car rentals in George Town. Can anyone help?

Most of the rental places are near the airport, a short taxi or shuttle ride away. Pretty much all the major chains have an outlet there...just google your favorite and you'll likely find it.

There's a local place with an outlet across from Seven Mile Beach as well as at the airport...that's where we usually rent from. Their cars range from brand-new to total-beater, but their prices are good as is their service. Their website is http://www.andys.ky

There's one other rental place close to the port area, but I can't remember the name...Cayman Auto Rentals maybe? We've never rented from there but it has been frequently mentioned here on CC.

Most of the rental places are near the airport, a short taxi or shuttle ride away. Pretty much all the major chains have an outlet there...just google your favorite and you'll likely find it.

There's a local place with an outlet across from Seven Mile Beach as well as at the airport...that's where we usually rent from. Their cars range from brand-new to total-beater, but their prices are good as is their service. Their website is http://www.andys.ky

There's one other rental place close to the port area, but I can't remember the name...Cayman Auto Rentals maybe? We've never rented from there but it has been frequently mentioned here on CC.

Bookbabe, the memory is not too shabby.... http://www.caymanautorentals.com.ky/

thanks... i sent an email to Cayman auto rentals inquiring about which side the steering wheel is on their rentals and if they refund if the ship can't make port due to weather etc.

Thanks for all the info. We will look for "Sunsethouse Dive Resort" and My Bar. Sounds great.

Any suggestions for something new and fun to do when someone has already done all the normal touristy things?

I've been to Cayman over 10 times, and i just tried an excursion to Rum point a few weeks ago..........definitely a different experience than 7 mile beach......more laid back and less crowded, different trees, different atmosphere totally.

Hi Desertbelle, Capt. BJ mentioned "hangin out at My Bar" on an earlier post. Very few cruisers know what and where that is. A few years ago he suggested to us to try out snorkeling at "Sunsethouse Dive Resort," It's a resort hotel just up the street from Eden Rock Dive Shop. It is for the scuba enthusiasts mostly but they have also built a man made pool right in the rock shoreline with an opening on one end for venturing out into the ocean if one wants to. A great place for a novice snorkeler to get started. "My Bar" is the name of the restaurant/bar right on the ocean shore where a lot of the locals hang out at.

We went there and asked at the front desk if we could use there facility for snorkeling in there pool, fully prepared to pay for it, but they didn't charge anything and there's no day pass to buy, and they're some of the most friendly people you'll ever meet. They took us by the hand, so to speak, and introduced us to the Dive Shop manager (Mike) and also to the gift shop where I bought an underwater 35 mm underwater camera for about $25. Then we climed down the ladder into the pool and snorkeled all morning totally alone. It was like swimming in someone's aquarium and I never even went out of the opening to the deeper water. Then we went to the "My Bar" restaurant and had a few cold drinks overlooking the ocean and our cruiseship. It really made for a great day and I give thanks to Capt. BJ for it all. You can google the place and see what I mean.. It's best to take a taxi, but you can walk it too. Just turn right off the pier and go straight up the road til you get there, about 1 mile or so.

This sounds great! Thanks.:)

I've been to Cayman over 10 times, and i just tried an excursion to Rum point a few weeks ago..........definitely a different experience than 7 mile beach......more laid back and less crowded, different trees, different atmosphere totally.

Did you go on your own, book at the dock or through the cruise ship? How long did it take to get there? Answers will be very much appreciated.

Archived