Which part of Caribbean

labguides

A group of ladies (late 60's) wants to do a Caribbean cruise. We know nothing about that area. Main reason for cruise is friendship. Differences between the different routes? What are your favorite areas? What time year is the weather the best? Time of year to avoid? I appreciate all input.

Hi. Time to avoid would be hurricane season, which technically is July-November, but is most intense Aug/Sept. We have sailed Oct 31st in the Caribbean, and the following year had we chosen those dates, we would have been in a hurricane! I would also avoid spring breaks and holiday weeks.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Caribbean in the winter: Dec/Jan/Feb because the water there is warmer every other season. (I realize I am saying this and yet booked to sail from NY to FL and Bahamas mid-December. I don't have high hopes for warm water; just wanted a nice getaway to warmer than NJ!). Many people prefer to sail there during the winter months.

Southern Caribbean is nice but usually a longer cruise to get to the far ports, or leaving from San Juan vs. FL.

If you want to narrow it down to an itinerary or ship, you will get more opinions!

Hope you have a great time--wherever you go!

A group of ladies (late 60's) wants to do a Caribbean cruise. We know nothing about that area. Main reason for cruise is friendship. Differences between the different routes? What are your favorite areas? What time year is the weather the best? Time of year to avoid? I appreciate all input.

With "friendship" being the main reason for the cruise, I would strongly suggest that you pick a cruise line and a ship that you would like, as the great majority of your trip will be spent on the ship.

labguides....... You don't mention from which port you want to sail or how many days.

If you are from NY area, one could suggest a NYC to Bermuda cruise but if you are from FLL, I would be apt to mention a Caribbean cruise.

You don't mention how many days you want to sail. If only seven days, I would suggest Eastern Caribbean but if you said ten days, I would urge Southern Caribbean for your group.

You also don't mention 'general' age group or activity level sought. Do you want to snorkel or pull up a chaise lounge and spend a day on a beautiful Caribbean beach? Do you want to shop?

Not trying to make this complicated but really zeroing in on these questions, makes the choice of where and when much easier. :)

Hope we really can help you.

A good TA might also be something to consider.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Caribbean in the winter: Dec/Jan/Feb because the water there is warmer every other season.

Wow! The water's plenty warm enough for me year-round :cool:

As I think it will be for New Yorkers.:)

But yes, avoid the hurricane season cos hurricanes, or just the risk of them, screws up itineraries as cruise captains change to avoid them.

Caribbean weather doesn't vary much year-round, but there's some surprising differences from island to island. Rain-forests in Dom Rep, Jamaica, St Lucia, Grenada, to dry & dusty in Aruba & Margarita. A bit of a mix would be ideal

I'd be inclined to go when New York's weather is at its worst - a break does make winters much more bearable.

And, yes, we could do with more info about your group. And have any been to the Caribbean before? They might be able to advise, or want to avoid too many repeat calls.

JB :)

We always avoid July, August, and September with October being iffy. I like November because the water is usually still warm and very small chance of a hurricane that late in the season.

Our preference is either the Eastern and/or Southern Caribbean islands.

We are a bit puzzled about the SST (sea surface temperature) comments about the Caribbean. One remarkable thing about most of the Caribbean is that the sea surface temperature various very little throughout the year. Generally you can expect the temps to be in the 80 -85 degree f range nearly anytime of the year. Or course there are some variations depending on the month, your location, etc...but the water is always warm.

Hank

If you have the time, I would also suggest a Southern Carib. cruise in January or February. You will enjoy a number of 'at sea' days on your way to and from the southern islands and have a few unique islands to explore.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and time together.

So much depends on where you are traveling from. For instance, we are in Maine and prefer to travel to the Caribbean in late March or April to avoid snow storms.

A 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise is a good way to start and see how you enjoy cruising and the Caribbean.

We went on a cruise to the Bahamas in December. I have to disagree with the above poster that said the water was cold. I thought it was beautiful. I am a New Englander too and we tend to be less than heat tolerant, so I'd recommend the winter. The water in the Caribbean will NEVER be as cold as what it is in August in Maine! We went to the Virgin Islands in July and it was so uncomfortably hot. Yes, the water was warm, but you could get a sunburn in five minutes.

Being from New England I know a winter cruise would also give you a break from the long winters :) December cruises are inexpensive, they get more expensive after Christmas, but still a wonderful way to travel :) Good luck!

We've been cruising in January (DH is self employed and that is his slow time of year). Toronto in January is usually less than pleasant, as a New Yorker I'm sure you can understand. We prefered the Western Caribbean for the ports and it seemed that the water was slightly warmer than the Eastern (but still very swimable). We're doing the Southern swing out of FLL this next time, so I can't comment (yet), but we're looking forward to finding out. :D

If you're flying down to catch a cruise in the winter, you'll probably want to fly down a day early just to be safe. We like Princess, but there's lots of options, so you'll have to make some decisions to narrow your search.

:confused: Where did some of you learn OP is from NY?

I read the post and no where did I see NY. I have to be missing something obvious. :eek:

And while I'm at it, I wonder where OP is? Hope she comes back as it would be fun narrowing down the choices with her and seeing what she and her friends decide on.

We went on a cruise to the Bahamas in December. I have to disagree with the above poster that said the water was cold. I thought it was beautiful. I am a New Englander too and we tend to be less than heat tolerant, so I'd recommend the winter. The water in the Caribbean will NEVER be as cold as what it is in August in Maine! We went to the Virgin Islands in July and it was so uncomfortably hot. Yes, the water was warm, but you could get a sunburn in five minutes.

Being from New England I know a winter cruise would also give you a break from the long winters :) December cruises are inexpensive, they get more expensive after Christmas, but still a wonderful way to travel :) Good luck!

Just wanted to add a comment that the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean but rather in the Atlantic. Bahamian weather (and the water) varies quite a bit from the true Caribbean. Like southern Florida the Bahamas can get some pretty chilly weather. Last February it actually got down to 51 in Nassau (unusual but it happens).

Hank

:confused: Where did some of you learn OP is from NY?

Dunno who got that idea. Surely can't have been me :rolleyes:

vtwiggy - can I please join you on the idiot step :D

Point still stands, though.

The weather you leave behind can be just as important as the weather you're heading to. :)

JB :o

Archived