Pearl Harbour

Deb in Markham

We're on the Golden Princes that leaves San Pedro on Wednesday--yay!

We want to do Pearl Harbour on the morning of November 1 but we have to be back at Aloha Tower by 1:00 pm to be picked up for our LOST tour (probably the thing next to the beach that myt 15-year-old is most looking forward to). I'm wondering what you recommend regarding Pearl Harbour? We were thinking about taking The Bus to the harbour, get in line for tickets immediately and see everything else (Mighty Mo, Bowfin etc.) that we can fit in before having to head back to Aloha Tower. Are we nuts? Is that doable? What's the best way to do that: bus, taxi, rent a car, etc. Any and all recommendations, suggesttions are welcome.

Mahalo!

Time will be tight. Catching the bus, lines at the Memorial, catching the bus back should be all you do. The Memorial itself and the movie are at least an hour. The Missouri could easily be 3 hours, including the shuttle from the Memorial.

To give yourself more time, take a cab.

Time will be tight. Catching the bus, lines at the Memorial, catching the bus back should be all you do. The Memorial itself and the movie are at least an hour. The Missouri could easily be 3 hours, including the shuttle from the Memorial.

To give yourself more time, take a cab.

Thanks, that does sound like the best alternative.

It is a lot to press into one day. But my son is taking grade 22 American History this semester and we really want to get out to Pearl Harbour. He's also a big LOST fan so doesn't want to miss that. We're back from the LOST tour at 6pm and the ship doesn't leave until 11pm. It's not like we don't have all day on the island, just that the things we want to do are "daylight" things!

I appreciate your input. Mahalo!

Wow, that will be a full day. At least you are not going to Pearl Harbor on a weekend. You should be the first off the ship and take a cab to Pearl Harbor. Do not waste time waiting for a bus.

I have been there three times and the line forms even before the Memorial opens (and the line can be very long). After you get your ticket and get in, I would get in line to take the boat over to the Arizona first because this can take the longest. I think the boats start running about 8:00 a.m. and Memorial opens at 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. You can visit the museum, watch the movie, or visit the other ships afterwards (whatever you have time for). I would leave by noon to make sure you are back to Aloha Tower by 1:00 p.m. I would take a cab back. Pack a lunch (the Horizon Court Buffet offers wrapped sandwiches on port days).

Forget the bus, you are wasting time you do not have. The only answer is a cab. And have prearrangements made for a pick up at Pearl Harbor. Have numbers handy and call yourself, half hour before you need the pick up.

Forget the bus, you are wasting time you do not have. The only answer is a cab. And have prearrangements made for a pick up at Pearl Harbor. Have numbers handy and call yourself, half hour before you need the pick up.

Thanks. Prearrangements are a great idea.

Great tip. I didn't know they would let you take food off the ship.

I didn't know this either. On our two Hawaiian cruises (with Princess, of course), there were notices in the Patters to not take off food.

When we were on the Golden Princess last December, it was such an awesome cruise. Don't forget to take one of Leialoha's hula classes.

As has been said - take cabs. :)

Last year we did Pearl Harbor on the morning before we boarded the Pride of America - and still had to check out of our hotel a Noon.

We were there early to get tickets of the USS Arizona, IIRC we arrived around 7:30 am and got tickets for 8:15. We spent the time in between visiting the USS Bafin, a submarine docked in the same area. We also bought tickets for the USS Missouri and went there after the visiting Arizona. We did manage to take a tour and then walked around to get some pictures etc. We were back at the hotel in Waikiki at 12:05 pm.

It was a very busy morning and maybe we attempted too much, but I am still glad we saw both the USS Arizona and the USS Missouri even if the latter was a bit rushed - and a shuttle bus ride away.

A cab each way is the only way to accomplish this, and even then it will tight! It will depend on when your time for the launch to the USS Arizona is scheduled! If you have less than an hour's wait you could visit the Bowfin, and then be ready to leave for USS Missouri. Bus to Ford Island takes about 10 minutes each, so factor that time also into your calculations.

Please realize that Pearl Harbor allows NO bags of any kind to be brought in. This includes camera bags and fanny packs. Cameras are allowed, just not the big cases. (as one tour guide told us...if you can't fit it in our pocket then a bag is too big.)

My mother in law was not allowed to take her fanny pack in.

They do have some lockers near the entrance to the Visitors Center where you can rent small lockers while at Pearl Harbor. But be ready for this.

I doubt you will have time to get out to the Missouri since you only will have about 5 hours at the most in the area because of the time you have to leave to get back for the other tour. Missouri is easily 3 hours at the least and Pearl Harbor is at least 90 minutes...and that is only if you don't look at all the displays and read any of the great information at the displays or the walkway looking toward the Memorial.

Wow, that will be a full day. At least you are not going to Pearl Harbor on a weekend. You should be the first off the ship and take a cab to Pearl Harbor. Do not waste time waiting for a bus.

I have been there three times and the line forms even before the Memorial opens (and the line can be very long). After you get your ticket and get in, I would get in line to take the boat over to the Arizona first because this can take the longest. I think the boats start running about 8:00 a.m. and Memorial opens at 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. You can visit the museum, watch the movie, or visit the other ships afterwards (whatever you have time for). I would leave by noon to make sure you are back to Aloha Tower by 1:00 p.m. I would take a cab back. Pack a lunch (the Horizon Court Buffet offers wrapped sandwiches on port days).

This is absolutely not allowed in Hawaii ports. No exceptions except for passengers on the Hawaii-only Pride of America. Passengers on all ships that have any non-Hawaii port stop (either embarkation, disembarkation, or along the way) are not allowed to bring any fresh food off the ship. Only pre-packaged commercial items are allowed.

Great tip. I didn't know they would let you take food off the ship.

It is not allowed and there will be signs at the port, as well as reminders in your ship dailies, and probably announcements onboard. Many times, agricultural officers will be at the pier, sometimes with service animals to "sniff" out smuggling, and there is usually an "amnesty" bin before you reach land (ditto at the airport before leaving the arrival gates).

Of course this doesn't mean that some people don't try to illegally smuggle food anyway. But the laws are in place to protect the fragile island ecosystems.

I didn't know this either. On our two Hawaiian cruises (with Princess' date=' of course), there were notices in the Patters to not take off food.

When we were on the Golden Princess last December, it was such an awesome cruise. Don't forget to take one of Leialoha's hula classes.[/quote']

The same notices you read before will be on every ship that cruises a Hawaii itinerary. Hawaii's agricultural and food import restrictions are strict and for good reasons.

beachchick

Archived