"Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, & Formal Nights?" poll

A Sixth?

Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights  

560 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights

• Return to "true formal" nights. Tux and gowns. Other nights smart casual.
    • As Now: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown / Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket
    • No "formal nights" Smart Cas: Ladies: Skirt or pants / Gentlemen: sports shirt or sweater.
    • Totally casual. But no shorts or flip flops at dinner.
    • Replace "formal night" with "clothing optional" night and let it all hang out!

In the "Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal Nights?" thread it was suggested maybe a staw vote poll would be interesting... so here it is...

You can pick just One option, let's keep it civil!

Ready Set Dine! :p

Oh Ya. This is from the Celebrity web site regarding "Evening Attire" as it stands now.

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway&tab=before_you_go_getting_ready%2FplanAndBook%2FbeforeYouGo%2Fchickletpanel.do%3Fpagename%3Dbefore_you_go_getting_ready

I voted for true formal nights but also like as it is now.

How often do you get to dress up in your life ? WWF - thats about it. Weddings, wakes and funerals.

Why not use a special time such as a cruise vacation to enjoy seeing your special someone dressed up. :D

Although this poll still has a relatively small sample-set of responders, it is interesting to note that, so far, "Smart Casual all the time" has 33 votes and "Totally Casual" has just three votes.

Judging by many of the endless-dress-code-threads, that poll result seems to be a stark contrast to what many of the "pro-formal" people seem to like to imply - that people who don't like dressing up want to wear flip-flops and "wife-beaters" anywhere and everywhere.

Why should Celebrity be a "me too" by yielding to the "dress down population"?

If I want to dress down then I would sail on that type of line, however, please let me have a choice. If there is not enough people who prefer to dress for dinner, then let the economics set the need for change. Until then, let's keep the choice.

Why should Celebrity be a "me too" by yielding to the "dress down population"?

If I want to dress down then I would sail on that type of line, however, please let me have a choice. If there is not enough people who prefer to dress for dinner, then let the economics set the need for change. Until then, let's keep the choice.

But as PS90 pointed out, virtually all the respondents have expressed a minimum of Smart Casual as a choice.

There's nowhere near any significant numbers for casual.... I for one am a bit surprised.

There's nowhere near any significant numbers for casual.... I for one am a bit surprised.

The Casual Folks are certainly taking it on the chin so far.

Many Pro Casual would have you believe that that are in the majority.

So much for the silliness of dividing the MDR in 2

The Casual Folks are certainly taking it on the chin so far.

Many Pro Casual would have you believe that that are in the majority.

So much for the silliness of dividing the MDR in 2

This 'sample' vote isn't representative of the cruising populace as a whole. I would venture that CC folks lean toward a more experienced and traditional demographic, and I would expect to see a greater number of them vote in favour of keeping either the status quo or a more traditional approach. Personally, I'm surprised at the high number of responses in favour of smart casual.

I must be old school. As far as I,m concerned, there,s nothing better than sitting down in a beautiful dinning room dressed to the max and enjoying a great meal among new found friends from all over the world.

This 'sample' vote isn't representative of the cruising populace as a whole. I would venture that CC folks lean toward a more experienced and traditional demographic, and I would expect to see a greater number of them vote in favour of keeping either the status quo or a more traditional approach. Personally, I'm surprised at the high number of responses in favour of smart casual.

Its hard to say.I would lean the other way and say the poll includes CC ers that do not sail Xsimply because of the post on less traditional line forums vastly out number Celebrity.The more seasoned cruiser,lets say one who takes several cruises a year,gets one vote,while person for whom a cruise is on the wish list also gets one vote.I also believe many of the seasoned cruisers avoid dress case polls and deicussions altogether

Interesting.

After almost 200 responses, only 17% want a stricter governed formal night and only 7% want casual (or bare-butt :rolleyes:)

The vast majority are happy with the present rules and/or resort casual.

I would have thought the numbers at the extremes would have been higher.

Looks like "X" knows their audience.

Reality is coming! With the current airline rules/costs, plus demographic attitude changes, most people under age 60 do not want to get too carried away with playing the "country club" games of "see how fancy and rich I am". It's the 21st Century and not old England at the feudal Lord's Manor House!

People should NOT be sloppy or slobs. Looking nice is great and very attractive. But, there are limits as to how time and effort many busy, working people today want . . . and can . . . spend on doing the tux thing these days. Sorry to be so blunt about these new realisms of travel and modern society!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,880 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Reality is coming! With the current airline rules/costs, plus demographic attitude changes, most people under age 60 do not want to get too carried away with playing the "country club" games of "see how fancy and rich I am". It's the 21st Century and not old England at the feudal Lord's Manor House!

People should NOT be sloppy or slobs. Looking nice is great and very attractive. But, there are limits as to how time and effort many busy, working people today want . . . and can . . . spend on doing the tux thing these days. Sorry to be so blunt about these new realisms of travel and modern society!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,880 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I don't see any reason why, just because you prefer not to dress up more formally, you feel it is acceptable to throw barbs at those who do.

I don't see any reason why, just because you prefer not to dress up more formally, you feel it is acceptable to throw barbs at those who do.

Agreed. And the same is true IMHO of those who enjoy getting dressed up in their Tuxs and Gowns. Just because I prefer to go jacket and tie, don't tear a strip off me....

Just don't show up for dinner in jeans... wait! That's another thread! :D

I must be old school. As far as I,m concerned, there,s nothing better than sitting down in a beautiful dinning room dressed to the max and enjoying a great meal among new found friends from all over the world.

I agree totally. In my opinion, it's pretty simple. If one wants casual, then go to a cruise line that has casual and stop trying to change the ones that offer formal, etc.

Interesting.

After almost 200 responses, only 17% want a stricter governed formal night and only 7% want casual (or bare-butt :rolleyes:)

The vast majority are happy with the present rules and/or resort casual.

I would have thought the numbers at the extremes would have been higher.

Looks like "X" knows their audience.

Good old Bell Curve! It still shows us that the extremes have lower numbers than those in the main.

Interesting how a poll on a Cruise Forum fits into the model!

Good old Bell Curve! It still shows us that the extremes have lower numbers than those in the main.

Interesting how a poll on a Cruise Forum fits into the model!

And that by insisting on a minim of jacket and tie on formal night, most passengers should enjoy their formal evenings dressed to the nines if they wish.

Only the shorts&Ts and nudists aren't happy I guess. :D:p

business-casual-evolution.jpg

restaurant-table-setting-procedure.jpg

jasmine-goggins__a-fine-american-dinner1.jpg

dinner.gif

Agreed. And the same is true IMHO of those who enjoy getting dressed up in their Tuxs and Gowns. Just because I prefer to go jacket and tie, don't tear a strip off me....

Just don't show up for dinner in jeans... wait! That's another thread! :D

Celebrity allows jeans in the MDR....I wouldn't wear them to the MDR but your opinion and mine don't really mean a lot when the host allows them..

I agree totally. In my opinion, it's pretty simple. If one wants casual, then go to a cruise line that has casual and stop trying to change the ones that offer formal, etc.

Bingo! I would not go to RCI or NCL and whine aout the dress code.RCCL has a line for the casuals (RCI) .RCCL has lines to make both groups happy.IMHO its selfish of the casual group to whine and resort to name calling of those who enjoy dressing for dinner

:cj

I voted to keep things as they are now. We (family of 4 - DH, DS then 15, DD 14 and I) were skeptical about formal nights prior to our first cruise on Millie in 2009. We all enjoyed them. So much so that on our next 2 cruises this December (Millie and Equinox) we are planning on doing our own extra formal night! The settings created by such beautiful ships are worthy of dressing up whether others do or not.

We don't often get dressed up at home, and enjoy the oppourtunity to get dressed up and go out together.

Soon our kids will be off to university (currently grade 12 and 11) and I cherish the chance to create special memories with them, and formal nights are one of those memories.

Celebrity allows jeans in the MDR....I wouldn't wear them to the MDR but your opinion and mine don't really mean a lot when the host allows them..

Sorry, I should have clearly pointed to the point of the survey.

Jeans "On Formal Nights" in particular are not acceptable attire. Never seen anyone with them on any formal MDR I've been in on "X"

And I for one has never noticed jeans in the dining room for diner when it's not a formal night.....

Now breakfast and lunch... sure, jeans are just fine.

In the "Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal Nights?" thread it was suggested maybe a staw vote poll would be interesting... so here it is...

You can pick just One option, let's keep it civil!

Ready Set Dine! :p

I voted for the As Now.

I don't mind the three codes structure but do find that with airlines being tighter with luggage limits it is harder to take a good choice.

I used to take Tuxedo, dark suit, sometimes a light suit and jacket with choice of trousers but often used to be over normal luggage limits.

I've flown from the UK without query but then been charged overweight coming back from a couple of US airports.

What I do object to is where a very small minority on a cruise, maybe one or two couples, don't follow the dress code and get away with it.

This should be easy for Celebrity to stop as people are entering the dining room.

Shorts at the CC Elite cocktail party sometimes used despite the dress code saying otherwise.

If I want a more relaxed dress code cruise then there are alternative ships.

Sorry, but this is your opinion not a new realism. I am under 60 and do not agree with you.

Sue

Archived