"Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, & Formal Nights?" poll

A Sixth?

Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights  

560 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights

• Return to "true formal" nights. Tux and gowns. Other nights smart casual.
    • As Now: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown / Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket
    • No "formal nights" Smart Cas: Ladies: Skirt or pants / Gentlemen: sports shirt or sweater.
    • Totally casual. But no shorts or flip flops at dinner.
    • Replace "formal night" with "clothing optional" night and let it all hang out!

We did not mind dressing formally on our shorter cruises of the 70s, 80s and even 90s. Now that we are retired we tend to do longer cruises and quiet a few European and trans atlantics each year. We like to travel around for a couple weeks before boarding the ship and are finding it difficult to bring so much luggage. I have the feeling that a large number of people our ages are doing the same. I don't want to deny anyone their desire to dress but do wish Celebrity would provide a dining area other than the buffet for smart casual. I would have booked Aqua for our upcoming trans atlantic had I known that this was now an option. By the way, we are traveling with 5 other couples in Nov. and they all feel this was.

BTW, I am NOT under 60, and I do not like the implication that because a few weeks ago I hit my 60th birthday I am ready to be put out to pasture and obviously my opinion about cruising no longer matters. I cruise regularly and have as much right to an opinion about how I prefer to enjoy it as anyone. And for the record, I follow the current styles and fashion as much as the next person and dress accordingly (abeit appropriately for someone who really, really would no longer look very amazing in a short cocktail dress with a pair of platform Louboutins:))

Agree with you....will be hitting that number myself in a few years and certainly don't think that means that anything I think/say or do will suddenly be deemed irrelevant.....

I have about 20 cruises under my belt, starting in 1959 when things were very formal. More recently, I was on Oceania and really enjoyed the "country club casual" policy they had throughout the ship. The passengers were very good about adhering to an appropraite policy and not going overly casual or sloppy. In the old days when we could each take two suitcases, it was much easier to take formal wear, a few sport jackets, etc. Now that we have to pay for checked luggage, we prefer to travel lighter which means less room for the extra dress clothes. We go to enough formal parties and events at home, that we do not feel the need to "dress up" while on a cruise. IMHO, if a cruise line institutes country club casual, people can still look very elegant.

I did read on a board that one man did not even own a jacket and people suggested he go to a resale shop to purchase one. I doubt he will show up at a fromal night or a "CCC" looking elegant!

I vote to return to the old way. However, I can live with the current

code, if they would enforce it. They have greeters at the doors and people in shorts walk right by. No one is stopped in the buffet is swimwear or their bath robes. No guy is turned away form Guest Relations bare back:mad:. Ahhhhhhh!!!!

Enforce the code, please!!

What I don't understand is why so many posters equate "country club casual" (or whatever name they give it) to sloppy. Except for weddings, which are quite formal in my community, we always dress casually and we are far from sloppy (at least I hope!).

My husband wears a suit and tie Mon.-Fri. and on the weekends he prefers a sweater. That will take him almost anyplace. If necessary, he will wear a sport jacket (no tie).

A pantsuit will take me to any restaurant, theatre, or whatever.

We are seniors and this is how we all dress today.

A cruise is a vacation. Personally, I can't see formal & vacation (although we have been doing it, we would rather not).

Just my opinion!

Once again, some folks can accept change. Some can not. I am in my 60's and I can accept change!;)

If we like things the way they are why change?;)

Some folks need to learn they cannot always have all things their way

What I don't understand is why so many posters equate "country club casual" (or whatever name they give it) to sloppy. Except for weddings' date=' which are quite formal in my community, we always dress casually and we are far from sloppy (at least I hope!).

My husband wears a suit and tie Mon.-Fri. and on the weekends he prefers a sweater. That will take him almost anyplace. If necessary, he will wear a sport jacket (no tie).

A pantsuit will take me to any restaurant, theatre, or whatever.

We are seniors and this is how we all dress today.

A cruise is a vacation. Personally, I can't see formal & vacation (although we have been doing it, we would rather not).

Just my opinion![/quote']

Can'tstopcruising, excellent post - I agree with you completely! The irony is that most passengers who dress the equivalent of country club casual are wearing more fashionable clothes than those who are dressed in dated formal wear that has seen better days. Where I live it is difficult to find stylish formal attire because of its limited demand, and we live in an upscale suburb that is close to New York City.

If we like things the way they are why change?;)

Some folks need to learn they cannot always have all things their way

Think about it. This is why some folks can not accept change!!;) I may like some things in life, but things do change!

ah, but apparently they can. The cruise lines have changed and for the most part they don't enforce what they already have.

the key words 'for the most part' prove that people cannot always have their way.Celebrityhas changed by eliinating semi formal (ormerging the two) and thus addressing the needs to pack less

Thank you for proving my point

Think about it. This is why some folks can not accept change!!;) I may like some things in life, but things do change!

The more things change the more they remain the same.

You do not like formal nights so you point fingers at those who do by saying those who do cannot accept change.To me thats a lame self serving argument but its your right to give lame self serving arguments

The good thing is that there are cruises that meet ones needs.When I sail RCI I certainly would not bring formal wear and I'm fine with it

Can'tstopcruising, excellent post - I agree with you completely! The irony is that most passengers who dress the equivalent of country club casual are wearing more fashionable clothes than those who are dressed in dated formal wear that has seen better days. Where I live it is difficult to find stylish formal attire because of its limited demand, and we live in an upscale suburb that is close to New York City.

Are you right about that! We have made two Bar Mitzvahs (the works!) and 2 weddings and the most difficult part was finding gowns that I liked. Once that was accomplished, the rest was a piece of cake!

I just got an e-mail from Celebrity for cruises on Millennium starting at $329. These are not just for last minute deals because you can book out as far as March with this offer. So if anyone thinks that Celebrity is still trying to attract a demographic that is more upscale than other mass market cruise lines they are living in the past and need to consider this factor when discussing dress codes. This pricing makes Carnival and NCL look expensive. If we did a "stay vacation" it would cost more per day than these cruises per diems!

The more things change the more they remain the same.

You do not like formal nights so you point fingers at those who do by saying those who do cannot accept change.To me thats a lame self serving argument but its your right to give lame self serving arguments

The good thing is that there are cruises that meet ones needs.When I sail RCI I certainly would not bring formal wear and I'm fine with it

I am certainly not pointing fingers at anyone. There are simply those who get very frustrated and upset when things change!

And by the way Celebrity certainly meets my needs quite nicely, thank you. I have accepted the changes to their smoking policy with open arms and evidently so have many others!

I just got an e-mail for Celebrity cruises on Millennium starting at $329. These are not just for last minute deals because you can book out as far as March with this offer. So if anyone thinks that Celebrity is still trying to attract a demographic that is more upscale than other mass market cruise lines they are living in the past and need to consider this factor when discussing dress codes. This pricing makes Carnival and NCL look expensive. If we did a "stay vacation" it would cost more than that per day!

The 349 price is for a single 4 day sailing Jan 3,2012 for an inside cabin.THat same inside cabin is 499 in March (125 a day).You can find cheaper deals per day on other mass market lines.I love the silly living in the past comment.BTW.

I am certainly not pointing fingers at anyone. There are simply those who get very frustrated and upset when things change!

And by the way Celebrity certainly meets my needs quite nicely, thank you. I have accepted the changes to their smoking policy with open arms and evidently so have many others!

Restrctive Smoking is a positive healthy change .If dress changes to all casual I will not be hurt by it .Some of the all casual zealots love to throw silly insults ex. 'living in the past',outdated formal wear,ect ,ect.

to me they are just as frustrated and maybe even wearing outdated clothes and maybe living in the past as much as those they are pointing fingers at.

There are zealots on both sides.

The 349 price is for a single 4 day sailing Jan 3,2012 for an inside cabin.THat same inside cabin is 499 in March (125 a day).You can find cheaper deals per day on other mass market lines.I love the silly living in the past comment.BTW.

After seeing your post I reread my e-mail from Celebrity and it did say cruises starting at $329.

Change for the sake of change doesn't always mean better. Sometimes change lowers the bar, not raises it. If it isn't broken, it doesn't need to be fixed. What bothers me are people who insist on making everything become the way they want it to be instead of valuing it for what it already is.

Change for the sake of change doesn't always mean better. Sometimes change lowers the bar, not raises it. If it isn't broken, it doesn't need to be fixed. What bothers me are people who insist on making everything become the way they want it to be instead of valuing it for what it already is.

Don't let it bother you. Those who want change can say the same thing in reverse! Accept and respect others' opinions just as you would like them to do yours.

If Celebrity wanted everything to stay the same they wouldn't have built so many large ships. This has created a situation where they are now competing on price and attracting people who previously sailed on other mass market cruise lines, as well as those who thought they couldn't afford to cruise. The only cruise lines that still have a homogeneous demographic are those that are small enough to fill their ships without being flexible.

I don't understand this statement. If something is *not* the way one wants it why would they value it for "what it already is"? Seems to me that most people would want things the way they would like them. Maybe the keyword is "insist". I guess it never hurts to ask for change. There are also lots of choices. Ultimately, it's up to the cruise line what policies they implement and enforce.

Sometimes change is good... sometimes not, but discussing ways to make things better never hurts anything IMO.

Tom

I don't understand this statement. If something is *not* the way one wants it why would they value it for "what it already is"? Seems to me that most people would want things the way they would like them. Maybe the keyword is "insist". I guess it never hurts to ask for change. There are also lots of choices. Ultimately, it's up to the cruise line what policies they implement and enforce.

Sometimes change is good... sometimes not, but discussing ways to make things better never hurts anything IMO.

Tom

Well said.

No matter which side is flinging insults at the other (and it most certainly goes both ways), we all have the right to a voice and an opinion.

When we travel to Europe & take cruises ,we prefer country club casual ;because of bagage space limitations & air carrier restrictions;)

When in europe ,if you are also traveling by train ,there are significant problems with carrying large luggage bags ;because you would have to move those heavy bags up about 3 feet from the platform to the train .There are no porters :o .

Tom

Well said.

No matter which side is flinging insults at the other (and it most certainly goes both ways), we all have the right to a voice and an opinion.

I think you may have missed my point. Sorry if I didn't express it well enough. What I was trying to say is that sometimes aspects of life are special the way they are, and they are valued because of that. Not trying to insult anyone. Just saying that I'm disappointed in the fact that change is usually being motivated not by the people who value the item, but from people who have a different value system and want to project value on it. Of course it's human nature to want what we prefer. We all do it. But sometimes it's nice to leave something the way it is because it's special, unique or brings back fond memories of days gone by. That is why 'vintage' music is so well appreciated by many people. It is just fine the way it is.

Again, not trying to insult anyone. Just trying to express my sentiments that some things are worth saving because they are different that the norm.

Peace, please!!!

alysonshedd_peacesymbol_1.jpg

Archived