"Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, & Formal Nights?" poll

A Sixth?

Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights  

560 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one. Your Dining attire preference re-Formal nights

• Return to "true formal" nights. Tux and gowns. Other nights smart casual.
    • As Now: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown / Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket
    • No "formal nights" Smart Cas: Ladies: Skirt or pants / Gentlemen: sports shirt or sweater.
    • Totally casual. But no shorts or flip flops at dinner.
    • Replace "formal night" with "clothing optional" night and let it all hang out!

I was answering your post, not suggesting that you said that. I'm aware that you said you didn't think it should change. If you read your comment above, it actually says "as you said" which would lead me to believe the comment was directed to me. I also thought when I said "we" can see that "some people" want everything their way it was obviously not directed to you.

Again, I apologize if I worded that sentence poorly. I am no English scholar:o.

That might make too much sense. Of course some folks would still complain that they are having to share the dining room with the unwashed and that it detracts from their experience!;)

seems to me that there's lots of complaining on both sides of the ailse

:cj

Do most people really notice what other people are wearing in the main dining room on formal night? It was one thing when the dress code was observed ship wide after 6 PM, but since most people are sitting down while they eat, it can be hard to differentiate a sports jacket from a suit jacket or what type of skirt/pants a lady is wearing.

Agreed.

Also, IMHO, the "ambiance" of any kind of formal night died long ago. It seems to me that the MDR being formal - while nowhere else on the ship is formal anymore - that those dressed in formal wear are already somewhat segregated from the masses, so therefore they "stick out like a sore thumb", which certainly does not lend itself to an air of class or ambiance.

That's not meant as an insult, just an observation.

Agreed.

Also, IMHO, the "ambiance" of any kind of formal night died long ago. It seems to me that the MDR being formal - while nowhere else on the ship is formal anymore - that those dressed in formal wear are already somewhat segregated from the masses, so therefore they "stick out like a sore thumb", which certainly does not lend itself to an air of class or ambiance.

I guess we see things differently.To me there is an ambiance that lasts the evening.The ones who dress for dinner are mingling before and after and certainly outnumber the rest by a wide margin

Personally' date=' I think it is very arrogant to tell someone to go on another line, regardless of the reason.

I know many of you are campaigning for your choice, but when all is said and done, it is best to Live & Let Live.[/quote']

Don, although I referred to your post, I wasn't accusing you. I was adding to what you had said.

One thing I notice about this thread is that lots of posts are misunderstood, and lots of posters are appologizing. I guess that's because we each read the written word differently!

I guess we see things differently.To me there is an ambiance that lasts the evening.The ones who dress for dinner are mingling before and after and certainly outnumber the rest by a wide margin

Captain Jake, that was probably true when the formal dress code was for the entire ship, with the exception of the casual dining/pool area, after 6:00 PM. However, now even people who observe formal night in the main dining room can change their clothes right after dinner and go any place they want on the ship. I personally think it is more trouble than it is worth to change after dinner, but a lot of people do.

Agreed.

My observation on "many" Celebrity cruises is that most people still observe formal nights. Even when dining in the specialty restaurants, many of the passengers still dress formally. The people who are dressed up on formal night do not stick out like a sore thumb, in fact it's just the opposite. Believe me there are no "masses" dining in the Specialty Restaurants and buffet area on formal nights. Most people dress up and go to the Main Dining Room. This observation is from 3 to 5 Celebrity cruises every year for the last 6 or 7 and many more before that.

Captain Jake, that was probably true when the formal dress code was for the entire ship, with the exception of the casual dining/pool area, after 6:00 PM. However, now even people who observe formal night in the main dining room can change their clothes right after dinner and go any place they want on the ship. I personally think it is more trouble than it is worth to change after dinner, but a lot of people do.

my obsevations is that few change on Celebrity. I've felt the ambiance the entire evening on those evenings which is an asset sailing Celebrity and is part of what makes them a cut above

I confess I dropped out of this post for a few days and am just catching up again. I find it very interesting that over 60% of the responses have been for keeping the dress code as current, or more formal. Sometimes on these dress posts that tend to get so heated it seems like I am one of few who enjoy dressing up. People have chastised me that 'the majority' or 'new cruisers' prefer much more casual dress. While granted I can't tell if some of the voters are new cruisers or long-time cruisers, it is clear that the majority so far - at least on this poll- do NOT in fact prefer more casual. Interesting. This is of course not the be-all/end-all poll as it is limited in scope but the trend is certainly not what one would expect when reading some of the threads on dressing up. Are you listening, Celebrity?????:):):)

I just showed this thread to my husband and asked him for his opinion on the topic. Before I post his reaction, I would like to share a few things about him to provide a point of reference. He always wears either a tux or dark suit on formal night at sea, even if it is on a cruise line where formal night is optional. He also dresses the same way he did before the world became so casual whenever we go to the symphony or see a Broadway show.

He feels that as long as someone "fits in" it doesn't matter if they are not following the dress code perfectly, and that is very different from someone who dresses in a rebellious manner just to stand out from the crowd and make a point.

I just showed this thread to my husband and asked him for his opinion on the topic. Before I post his reaction, I would like to share a few things about him to provide a point of reference. He always wears either a tux or dark suit on formal night at sea, even if it is on a cruise line where formal night is optional. He also dresses the same way he did before the world became so casual whenever we go to the symphony or see a Broadway show.

He feels that as long as someone "fits in" it doesn't matter if they are not following the dress code to a tee it isn't a big deal, and that is very different from someone who dresses in a rebellious manner to stand out from the crowd to make a point.

In the ballpark works for me .

Been to a couple weddings over the last few years where an in law teenager wore Prestine Clean Hunting clothing.Took casual to another level, Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb. Never saw that on a cruise

:cj

Agreed.

You are kidding,right?????????????????

Anyone dressed in formal will not be anywhere close to being in the minority or stick out like a sore thumb anywhere on the ship on formal night (unless they dress like the Great Don Cherry from Hockey Night in Canada)

my obsevations is that few change on Celebrity. I've felt the ambiance the entire evening on those evenings which is an asset sailing Celebrity and is part of what makes them a cut above

You are kidding,right?????????????????

Anyone dressed in formal will not be anywhere close to being in the minority or stick out like a sore thumb anywhere on the ship on formal night (unless they dress like the Great Don Cherry from Hockey Night in Canada)

My observations exactly. I've always been delighted to see so many people wearing their finest, whether it be a tux and formal evening gown, or suit and very nice dress. One of the things that I really enjoy is waiting for the MDR to open and seeing so many dressed so nicely, milling around chatting, with a cocktail in hand, smiles on their faces, and especially those that line up for that special photo op, with a favorite backdrop, and sometimes even with the captain. There definitely is an excitement in the air. That is one of the things that makes formal nights the most anticipated nights of the entire cruise for many people on board, including my wife and I. It is impossible to not notice the special ambiance these formal evenings have. That is, unless you chose to not notice to satisfy your own preferences. But the truth is, whether or not you notice it, it is still there.

We love the tradition of formal nights and don't mind at all the effort of dressing formally. As so many others have observed, the only disturbing issue is that the dress codes are not always enforced.

I always wonder if those who are under-dressed are really aware of the dress codes. In this age of online reservations, perhaps the fine print is overlooked.

Does anyone remember when stores had a special cruise wear department during the sixties with very wild prints?

Regarding my previous post quoted above, I find it interesting that so many people enjoy formal night because they don't have many opportunities to dress that way at home. Yet in the sixties people would buy clothes with wild prints for a cruise that they would never wear at home.

Okay, so I have 18 late-twenty-and-early-thirtysomethings in our home tonight, celebrating a birthday. They all know me and my DH well, and know that we love to cruise. I just went in and said that I was doing a quick poll and needed their honest responses. (Believe me, these are people who just LOVE to give me their honest responses to questions of all kinds. :p I have known most of them for years. About one third of them have been on cruises.)

The question was:

"Imagine that you are going on a seven-day Caribbean cruise and there will be 2 "formal nights" (air quotes employed) where a dress code is in effect for the main dining room."

"The guidelines for "cruise line formal" are quite relaxed, and reasonably open to interpretation. The dress code reads as follows"...and I read out the Celebrity formal night guidelines.

" The main dining room is a very lovely room, and the service is excellent. There are other venues on the ship which do not require "cruise line formal" where you may also eat on formal nights".

"Question: How many of you would dress in the "spirit of formal night" (more air quotes) and go to the main dining room for dinner".

And the answer was.......

100% would dress in the spirit of formal night.

I wasn't the least bit surprised.

Okay, so I have 18 late-twenty-and-early-thirtysomethings in our home tonight, celebrating a birthday. They all know me and my DH well, and know that we love to cruise. I just went in and said that I was doing a quick poll and needed their honest responses. (Believe me, these are people who just LOVE to give me their honest responses to questions of all kinds. :p I have known most of them for years. About one third of them have been on cruises.)

The question was:

"Imagine that you are going on a seven-day Caribbean cruise and there will be 2 "formal nights" (air quotes employed) where a dress code is in effect for the main dining room."

"The guidelines for "cruise line formal" are quite relaxed, and reasonably open to interpretation. The dress code reads as follows"...and I read out the Celebrity formal night guidelines.

" The main dining room is a very lovely room, and the service is excellent. There are other venues on the ship which do not require "cruise line formal" where you may also eat on formal nights".

"Question: How many of you would dress in the "spirit of formal night" (more air quotes) and go to the main dining room for dinner".

And the answer was.......

100% would dress in the spirit of formal night.

I wasn't the least bit surprised.

Me either!!!:D My daughters and son in laws are very excited about dressing for formal nights, and they are all in their 30's but what is even more astounding to me is that my 8 and 6 year old grandsons are excited to wear their tuxedos on those nights, when they put them on they are quite adorable to watch in the mirror. Of course they do the "James Bond" pose and the I'm cool pose.... but they become so different in their actions and demeanor, I have been informed that when dinner time arrives on formal night by the 8 year old, that he will be the one to hold my chair for me to be seated.....

I happen to enjoy formal nights, and understand not all do, perhaps the analogy of Catholic/Jewish was not on base, but lets try this, if a wedding were black tie only would you come casual? Would you demand the food at the wedding be served to you in a different room because you didn't want to dress formal? of course you wouldn't... should the bride a groom offer a separate room just for those who don't want to honor the dress code of the affair? of . So why would you ask a cruise line to do it? If a restaurant any where said "suit and tie" or after five wear, would you march in dressed casual? demand they serve you or provide a different room for you, or would you choose a different restaurant? I think the latter would hold true.

I am not saying that you should have to dress formal if you choose not to , I am saying why it is so difficult to respect the dress code of formal night or choose another venue? I agree with the poster who said what I have said, yes it is a vacation, but it is a vacation that is shared by 2000+ people. Out of the many nights on a cruise why is it so much to ask that 2 or 3 nights be kept for formal nights and the rest smart casual?

Not everything changes for the best.... :(

As far as the analogy of the cars manufacturers, yes Saturn is gone, and Pontiac is changing to include new models, but the other car makers took a bail out to keep them going.... but it was an issue of not keeping up with Japan in more efficient cars, and producing SUV's and other big trucks that were gas hogs... not not catering to the majority, they did cater to the majority and made the big cars, who kept on going? Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Toyota, BMW, VW, and many other foreign cars who never got into really big cars as a majority of their inventory.

I would not think of telling anyone to take a different cruise line, but I would ask that they let the formal nights stand and be enjoyed by those of us who enjoy them and likewise we will not insist all night be formal on same said cruise(s), I do not have to pay for luggage to be flown, I am fortunate to be able to drive to the port( 4+hours) but I would not hesitate to pay for a second bag to pack what I need including formal clothes. If it indeed is a case of no one notices, then bring one set of formal clothes and wear them for all 2-3 formal nights, cause no one will notice right?;) I know I wouldn't think twice seeing a man in a suit twice in a week I don't look at the suit that closely I just notice a suit! And I really notice a tux!! And don't even get me started on how great a kilt it!!! *fanning ones face*

A tuxedo/dress suit takes up no more room than a pair of shorts and a sweatshirt. a dress shirt is a T shirt, they do lay flat. :rolleyes:

Regarding my previous post quoted above, I find it interesting that so many people enjoy formal night because they don't have many opportunities to dress that way at home. Yet in the sixties people would buy clothes with wild prints for a cruise that they would never wear at home.

Maybe you have hit on the problem: in my "neck of the woods" there is more than ample opportunity to wear black tie. Most our friends/peers weddings are after 6 and most are black tie with women dressed accordingly. We don't view a cruise as an "opportunity" to dress, but rather as an obligation. The dress that I have observed on X is often a pathetic excuse for formal wear and just not something that our travel partners and my husband and I want to go the extra mile for. We don't want to take the opportunity to dress from anyone, but would love to have a better option for "formal" (not really) night.

Clothes with wild prints, in the Sixties, that they would never wear (at home)? Really?

I'm guessing that you didn't live on the west coast. ;)

Archived