Shortest tenure as cruise line President - Oceania Cruises??

eroller

So Ernie is one of those Wall Street protesters that doesn't like large banks. Thanks for slamming my employer for the past 25 years. Some people just like to stir the pot and add no value to the forum discussion. :mad:

Bright blue skies, the leaves are turning, "nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" and we are all healthy and wealthy enough to be discussing cruising on CC. It's getting mean here. Please.... take a walk, take a nap, grab a drink or grab your honey...... c

So Ernie is one of those Wall Street protesters that doesn't like large banks. Thanks for slamming my employer for the past 25 years. Some people just like to stir the pot and add no value to the forum discussion. :mad:

Yup that's me. Off to the next Occupy demonstration.

Now back to your regular programming ... how much to tip.

Ernie

You simply are unable to tolerate any criticism of Oceania -- which is patently obvious to anyone who reads your posts. There are no rules about how often someone can post on any board and what they can say.

I, like many others, welcome all comments and all points of view. I am intelligent enough to sort out truth from fiction.

Laraine you are SUPER!

Just as long as the line has enough money to hire a good chef & quality food, keeps the engines and washing machines/dryers running, stocks plenty of Purell and makes the port stops they advertise.

I tried to end this 7 posts ago!

The engines that is another story :D

Eroller...you da man! Tell it like it is and you get pummeled. Been there- been subjected to the same too! There are way too many O acolytes and way too many posts just for the sake of getting the number of posts up.

BTW - has anyone taken a close look at the prices for 2012? As much as we like an OS, which is what we book, don't think we will be going on O next year. And for those of you who will say that I should book a cheaper cabin, DW needs the extra room. I'll just leave it at that.

If anyone cares to read eroller's May 2011 review of a cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, he wrote: "NCL allows smoking in all cabins and all balconies. It's a very generous smoking policy and I believe most cruise lines are more restrictive. This is probably another reason that other cruise lines are more suited for me personally. As a non-smoker I will go with a cruise line that caters more to non-smokers"

He is clearly interested in Oceania as a result of that recent smoky experience (because Oceania is supposedly more restrictive regarding smoking, especially in cabins and on balconies) and that may be why you see him posting more here. That is a good thing....no, maybe it is a great thing. It is useful to everyone to read a variety of opinions.

eroller has also posted many useful photographs of cruise ships and ports and is a very helpful and useful member of the cruise community, even when I or anyone else disagrees with him.

I appreciate all points of view except for those where someone tries to shut down a thread (for any reason).

BTW - has anyone taken a close look at the prices for 2012? As much as we like an OS, which is what we book, don't think we will be going on O next year. And for those of you who will say that I should book a cheaper cabin, DW needs the extra room. I'll just leave it at that.

Agree..those OS prices are getting out of hand. Note, on Azamara they seem to always be available. That is, whenever I look but don't buy...Now it probably will be the same on Oceania. Time to give some serious thought to another cruise line.:mad:

If anyone cares to read eroller's May 2011 review of a cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, he wrote: "NCL allows smoking in all cabins and all balconies. It's a very generous smoking policy and I believe most cruise lines are more restrictive. This is probably another reason that other cruise lines are more suited for me personally. As a non-smoker I will go with a cruise line that caters more to non-smokers"

He is clearly interested in Oceania as a result of that recent smoky experience (because Oceania is supposedly more restrictive regarding smoking, especially in cabins and on balconies) and that may be why you see him posting more here. That is a good thing....no, maybe it is a great thing. It is useful to everyone to read a variety of opinions.

eroller has also posted many useful photographs of cruise ships and ports and is a very helpful and useful member of the cruise community, even when I or anyone else disagrees with him.

I appreciate all points of view except for those where someone tries to shut down a thread (for any reason).

Thank you gillianrose. I appreciate it. Anyone that thinks I've been posting on CC the past 11 years just to stir trouble doesn't know me very well. If for some reason I truly had it in for Oceania, I don't think my posts to the Oceania board would be so infrequent. This being said, I do like to stimulate engaging discussion when possible, getting beyond the sometimes mundane topics that are often discussed over and over again. Is some of it speculation? Of course. Unless you actually work for the cruise line all you can do is sometimes read between the lines.

I frequent all the different boards on CC frankly because I cruise on a variety of different ships and lines. I like to keep up with all of them. I have a true love of the cruise industry and it's been a big part of my life since I was a small child and took my first cruise on the wonderful LEONARDO DA VINCI. I also appreciate the fact that everyone won't agree with my point of view, but that is what makes life interesting. It's sad though when people resort to personal attacks or try to discredit someone just because they read something that they might not agree with, or feel that somehow "their" cruise line is coming under undo scrutiny. I'm amazed at how personal some people take comments about their cruise line of choice. Last I checked cruise lines don't have feelings. They are a business.

I'm glad you enjoyed the NORWEGIAN PEARL review. I actually just returned from a wonderful experience on AZAMARA QUEST just a couple weeks ago. I posted an extensive review and photos here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504274

It peaked my interest in Oceania as honestly until I sailed one of the R-Class ships, I sort of put my nose up to them. That changed with the recent Azamara cruise and now I'm a fan of these ships, even though I still think there are some design flaws. Oceania is probably as close to Azamara as one can get, so yes I'm interested but the fact is I'm interested in all cruise lines. Next for me in a week is CARNIVAL MIRACLE, followed by CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, then QM2. After that, who knows? Perhaps DISNEY DREAM or even MARINA. I don't discriminate!

I've watched the introduction of MARINA and I think the ship looks amazing. Without question a ship I plan to sail on (if not her than her sister). I'm a little surprised to see some of the same design attributes I didn't care for on the R-Class repeated on MARINA, but they would in no way impact my enjoyment of the cruise or ship.

Thanks again!

Ernie

Eroller...you da man! Tell it like it is and you get pummeled. Been there- been subjected to the same too! There are way too many O acolytes and way too many posts just for the sake of getting the number of posts up.

Thanks Leonid!

I think you and I have been around CC long enough to know how it works. God forbid you mention anything the loyal cheerleaders find even slightly negative about "their" cruise line and get out the heavy armor! LOL Luckily I have pretty thick skin and don't scare easily. I think it's one reason I've been an active member here for so long.

Anyway when I posted this thread I just thought it sounded interesting and perhaps a bit thought provoking. I was hoping that Oceania regulars might chime in with their thoughts and any concerns if any. I didn't expect the character attacks and conspiracy theories about what I was up to. Talk about over reacting and paranoia!

Ernie

I actually just returned from a wonderful experience on AZAMARA QUEST just a couple weeks ago. I posted an extensive review and photos here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504274

Ernie

I read that review with great interest since I have booked my first Azamara cruise. I did not connect the dots. I guess now I know who you are. Great review. Very helpful.

Keep posting here and elsewhere -- I for one (and I am sure others) want to hear what you have to say. No one member controls the content of these boards!

And I will be here to defend your right to speak your mind! LOLOL

I read that review with great interest since I have booked my first Azamara cruise. I did not connect the dots. I guess now I know who you are. Great review. Very helpful.

Keep posting here and elsewhere -- I for one (and I am sure others) want to hear what you have to say. No one member controls the content of these boards!

And I will be here to defend your right to speak your mind! LOLOL

Thank you Laraine. I forgot to thank you earlier and I do appreciate your support!

Glad you enjoyed the review too. My understanding is that Azamara and Oceania are very similar, both with high standards of food and service and of course both operate R-Class ships, so I think you will enjoy it.

Ernie

I was already in my twenties when I sailed on the Leonardo, but it sure was wonderful:):):)

Cheers!

Love your screen name!

I was about 12 when I sailed on LDV, but I remember it well! What an amazing liner. I explored every inch of her and probably studied the deck plan for a year before the trip. They sure don't build them like LDV anymore. I still think one of the most graceful and aesthetically pleasing passenger ships of all time. Years ago I acquired the Builders Book but sold it two years ago when I moved. Now I sort of wish I would have kept it.

Anyway LDV sort of created a monster. Ever since sailing on her, ships and the cruise industry have become a major hobby of mine, and here I am some 30 years and 90 cruises later!

Ernie

Archived