How would you rate Oceania's included air?

pickypicky

We are considering O for a cruise in 2013. Have previously sailed on Azamara and Regent, but have never taken the included air. Is anyone here willing to share their good/bad experiences with Oceania? And how does it work? Is it like Choice Air where I make my own arrangements, or am I at their mercy?

If you want to gain control you will have to pay for a deviation which I think is $100 pp. Then you can choose but if the cost is higher than the non-deviated cost to Oceania, you pay the difference on top of the deviation fee.

The main issue I have with their air is that they will fly you in the day of the cruise. Always a risky proposition. Of course this is true of most cruise lines.

In the past we often took the credit and booked our own, but the amount of the credit appears to have shrunk so that doesn't seem to work for us anymore.

Hope this helps.

On two of our four Regatta cruises, we have used Oceania’s air. By paying the deviation fee, we were able to choose the airline, the schedule and fly in a day early, and in one case, stay two days in the disembarkation city before flying home. We gave our preferences to our TA who made all the arrangements with Oceania.

Don

I believe the deviation fee may now be as much as $125. The air credit on our cruise was just about equal to the cost of a ticket, so we made our own flight arrangements for an upcoming cruise from Rio to Buenos Aires this December. This allowed us to go a day earlier without penalty, and to pick our preferred airline and flight times.

Last fall we took the ship air, which was on Air France going to Nice and back from Venice. Nice flight, but when I tried to upgrade at the ticket counter to premium economy I was told that my class ticket didn't qualify for an upgrade at any price.

There is, of course, some small risk in making your own arrangements if you plan to arrive on the day of embarkation. In the unlikely event that your flight is cancelled or sufficiently delayed you might have some major aggravation catching up with the ship at the next port.

Thanks so much for the input--we would want a deviation--always like to explore embarkation and debarkation ports if we haven't already done so. I had read that it was $125 pp. Do we have more security taking their air, i.e., will they wait for us if flights are cancelled/delayed?

Well, there is some flexibility ...though it may cost you. If you want to arrive early or leave late it will cost you $125pp. They will try to accomodate your requests for airlines but no guarantees. The itineraries are about what you would expect for being "free". eg. multiple segments, but layovers not unreasonable. If you want a better schedule (eg not leave Rome at 6am) then it will cost you $100 - $250 ea. roughly.

There is, of course, some small risk in making your own arrangements if you plan to arrive on the day of embarkation. In the unlikely event that your flight is cancelled or sufficiently delayed you might have some major aggravation catching up with the ship at the next port.

This, of course, would be exactly the same with Oceania air.

It is a common misconception that if you buy air with Oceania and you are late that the ship will wait for you - it will not.

I am not even certain that it would be at Oceania's expense for you to catch up with the cruise. They simply act as a TA in getting your tickets - if the flight is late or cancelled, it's between you and the airline.

Someone will correct me if this is not so (I have never used O's air - always fly for miles).

We have used it twice but chose to do the deviation arriving early to embarkation port

We flew BA to LHR, AC to SFO -MIA route

You can start the booking air process 270 days out

Once you accept the flights you pay the $125 deviation fee

If you do not fly in early I think you get your flights about 30 days out ..too late to make changes if you do not like them

Just tell your TA what flights you want & when

Be sure to compare between taking the air credit & booking your own air with Oceania air

This, of course, would be exactly the same with Oceania air.

It is a common misconception that if you buy air with Oceania and you are late that the ship will wait for you - it will not.

I am not even certain that it would be at Oceania's expense for you to catch up with the cruise. They simply act as a TA in getting your tickets - if the flight is late or cancelled, it's between you and the airline.

Someone will correct me if this is not so (I have never used O's air - always fly for miles).

That is not always the case. Friends of ours took Oceanias air and arrived in Barcelona just after the Icelandic volcano shut down all air travel. Oceania paid for all meals and hotel costs in Barcelona until they could reschedule them out on a flight to get them home. I have always used the cruise lines air and there has been one time where the Westerdamn waited for us for 3 hrs du to flight delay out of Toronto. I also have had ships wait or delay departure due to ship sold tour not getting back on time. If I was flying long distance I would pay the deviation fee and let the cruise line book the Flights. I would book my own acomidation in the embarcation port city and plan to arrive 1 or 2 days early.

That is not always the case. Friends of ours took Oceanias air and arrived in Barcelona just after the Icelandic volcano shut down all air travel. Oceania paid for all meals and hotel costs in Barcelona until they could reschedule them out on a flight to get them home. I have always used the cruise lines air and there has been one time where the Westerdamn waited for us for 3 hrs du to flight delay out of Toronto. I also have had ships wait or delay departure due to ship sold tour not getting back on time. If I was flying long distance I would pay the deviation fee and let the cruise line book the Flights. I would book my own acomidation in the embarcation port city and plan to arrive 1 or 2 days early.

Well - the Icelandic volcano was a special case and it was travel home; the ship HAS to wait for you if you are on a day tour with them (different then flying in late).

As far as Westerdam goes, you were lucky - I wouldn't count on that every time.

Anyway - whether flying with O or on one's own, it's best to arrive a day or two early, IMO (unless you are scheduled to arrive early AM and ship leaves late that day - then you have a cushion).

. I have always used the cruise lines air and there has been one time where the Westerdamn waited for us for 3 hrs du to flight delay out of Toronto.

If you were the only passenger on the flight for the cruise you were indeed lucky :)

I think the Volcano & the earthquake in Chile were special exceptions

Got a generous package from O when they were just getting started which included "free" air. Good points were sensible routing and excellent airline(Lufthansa). Drawbacks were 1) connecting flight to ORD was on a separate record so I had to go out of security, wait in line to check in a second time and wait in line to go through security a second time. Don't know what advantage this had for O, but it was annoying 2) I was charged more than double the real taxes and fees shown on the ticket receipt (i.e. O picked my pocket for $150 or so). Hopefully they've cut this out but there is the risk that you will be paying a hidden surcharge to have them ticket your flight. Other potential problem (which, to their credit did NOT happen with O)is a cockeyed routing if the cruise line can save a few bucks--tablemates on Crystal were sent from LA to Costa Rica via New York(!:eek:).

IF seeing the embarkation/disembarkation ports means arriving a day or two early and leaving a day or two late and (you don't say where you are embarking/disembarking) IF you can get a round trip or open jaw ticket, I would at least have your TA check the pricing on doing it without O's intervention.

IF you can get a round trip or open jaw ticket, I would at least have your TA check the pricing on doing it without O's intervention.

With all due respect to TAs, who needs them for pricing (or buying) tickets when you have ITA matrix? :D

Booking cruises with a TA is a different matter.

used "O" air...and payed the extra fee...to be able to arrive a day or two early before departure and then we have stayed an extra week or so in Europe and departed from another city than the one we disembarked from...well worth it...in MHO...LuAnn

Used Oceania's air for our upcoming flight..paid deviation of $125 each plus $200 each for the super flights we wanted including the non-stop BCN/ATL flight coming home..we are going in early to Athens and then coming home from Barcelona 5 days later. We wanted Oceania air because what if Athens is still in turmoil and we have to fly into another city for a different embarkation port? We are covered.

They are very nice to deal with and we were able to get our own seats on Delta.

Sherry

Do you have the option of seeing the flights they choose for you and then if you don't like them buy them yourself and get the credit? I understand you can pay for a deviation but I may want to purchase myself so I can get upgraded but I would like to see what Oceania offers first as right now the credit and what I can purchase the tickets for is about $500 difference per ticket.

B.

Do you have the option of seeing the flights they choose for you and then if you don't like them buy them yourself and get the credit? I understand you can pay for a deviation but I may want to purchase myself so I can get upgraded but I would like to see what Oceania offers first as right now the credit and what I can purchase the tickets for is about $500 difference per ticket.

B.

Give your TA the dates you want to fly in /out (providing you are in the 270 day range)

See what O offers...if you do not like the flights do not accept them

You can submit the flights you want then see if there is any UPCHARGE for the flights (sometime no upcharges)

If you like them... accept them & pay the deviation fee ...if you do not like them keep working with Oceania or take the credit & DIY

Lyn

Archived