Cruising to Canada with a DUI

jp&dpcruisers

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of cruising to Canada with a DUI. ie, has the person been denied going ashore if customs finds out about a DUI? I know that rehabilitation can be granted but given the process and fees involved getting this it seems senseless to get this as the cruise we want to do has only two days in Canada. Has anyone ever just "winged it" and got to go ashore?

Thanks much,

Your worst case scenario isn't being denied going ashore, it's being arrested.

Before anyone can go ashore, the ship must be cleared by immigration of the host country. Normally, manifests are sent electronically, so it could be very possible that someone is there to meet you with metal bracelets. You could also be denied boarding at embarkation if your information comes back early.

This from the Canadian Customs website.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

This from the site:

Please Note: Canada, like the United States, has rules that prohibit entry for persons with specific ineligibilities. For example, anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)), no matter how long ago, may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Its not that they will not let you get off the ship. You can be denied boarding at the port of origin. I would follow the directions on the Canadian website so that it doesn't get ugly at the terminal and someone out of a lot of money.

I was looking into this before our cruise, as one person in our party had had a DUI approx 20-30 years ago. We had a 6-hour stop in Victoria, and there was no mention of the DUI made. We embarked with no issues, and the officials in Victoria didn't even really look at the passports.

If it was more recent, than you may have a different experience, but when I was looking into this issue, the consensus seemed to be that older offenses weren't a concern.

I was looking into this before our cruise, as one person in our party had had a DUI approx 20-30 years ago. We had a 6-hour stop in Victoria, and there was no mention of the DUI made. We embarked with no issues, and the officials in Victoria didn't even really look at the passports.

If it was more recent, than you may have a different experience, but when I was looking into this issue, the consensus seemed to be that older offenses weren't a concern.

This person had the DUI in the US just about five years ago. The whole process of getting rehabilitation is absurd and there is no guarantee it will be granted at the cost of $200-$1000!! I can't believe they would be arrested trying to get off the ship. Anyone know otherwise?

Oh boy, not what I want to hear. I hope someone out there may have more info on the subject. Perhaps the cruise line has more insight on this matter. Seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Why do you think anyone here would have more information than the Canadian Customs website?

I suggest you call a Canadian Embassy or Consulate. Better yet, have the person with the DUI call.

Here's a link to the Embassy in Washington, D.C.:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/washington/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=5

This person had the DUI in the US just about five years ago. The whole process of getting rehabilitation is absurd and there is no guarantee it will be granted at the cost of $200-$1000!! I can't believe they would be arrested trying to get off the ship. Anyone know otherwise?

As a Canadian entering your country if I had a DWI or any other kind of record I would not be permitted to cross your border. So I'm not sure why you think this is only one sided. I agree it should be limited to how many years ago it happend etc, but your Politicians are the ones calling the shots, why not vent at them or take the steps to get it corrected in time. Fees may be steep but at least your buddy wouldn't have to worry in the future. They just slammed Canadians with a $5.50 entry fee everytime we go to the USA so we can bail your debt out.

As a Canadian entering your country if I had a DWI or any other kind of record I would not be permitted to cross your border. So I'm not sure why you think this is only one sided. I agree it should be limited to how many years ago it happend etc, but your Politicians are the ones calling the shots, why not vent at them or take the steps to get it corrected in time. Fees may be steep but at least your buddy wouldn't have to worry in the future. They just slammed Canadians with a $5.50 entry fee everytime we go to the USA so we can bail your debt out.

Careful what you say about the USA. Our National Guard may have a free weekend and you could become our 51st state!! :mad:

Your worst case scenario isn't being denied going ashore, it's being arrested.

Before anyone can go ashore, the ship must be cleared by immigration of the host country. Normally, manifests are sent electronically, so it could be very possible that someone is there to meet you with metal bracelets. You could also be denied boarding at embarkation if your information comes back early.

Why would someone get arrested in Canada for having a DUI in the United States?

I, too, don't understand why the person would be arrested. Could you explain why that would happen? Wouldn't they just be denied entry?

As a Canadian entering your country if I had a DWI or any other kind of record I would not be permitted to cross your border. So I'm not sure why you think this is only one sided. I agree it should be limited to how many years ago it happend etc, but your Politicians are the ones calling the shots, why not vent at them or take the steps to get it corrected in time.

That's really not true in most cases.

From the US BP website:

The list of crimes of moral turpitude that are reasons for exclusion from the U.S. is also quite detailed. The most common types of crimes involving moral turpitude that would make you inadmissible are murder, manslaughter, rape, theft, bribery, forgery, aggravated battery, prostitution, and fraud. At this time, driving under the influence, breaking and entering, disorderly conduct and simple assault are not considered crimes that make a person inadmissible to the U.S., although if there are multiple convictions and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

I thought maybe someone had first hand experience with this situation. I'm beginning to think it may not be worth the hassle and we'll reconsider our cruising ports of call.

I would think you would run into this same situation with any port (not just Canada) unless they were "American" Ports, isn't this the purpose of the ship "being cleared" prior to letting anyone disembark?

We just went over this past weekend and I think that I paid $3.00 or $3.50 only one way. Is this $5.50 fee just if you arrive by air?

I said arrested was a worst case scenario.

In all probability, if anything happens, it will probably be a case of not being allowed off the ship. The next odd would be that he gets preflagged in the system as not being allowed to enter Canada and denied boarding.

We just went over this past weekend and I think that I paid $3.00 or $3.50 only one way. Is this $5.50 fee just if you arrive by air?

That's the toll money, This is a new fee to start either Nov 1 or 4th.

"Canadians travelling to the United States by air or sea will soon be subject to a new $5.50 fee for a "passenger inspection levy."

That's the toll money, This is a new fee to start either Nov 1 or 4th.

"Canadians travelling to the United States by air or sea will soon be subject to a new $5.50 fee for a "passenger inspection levy."

Is this only for Canadians and everytime that you cross even if it's weekly for work?

Is this only for Canadians and everytime that you cross even if it's weekly for work?

If you arrive to the US by air or boat daily for work then it would be daily...here is one aritcle. Upon reading this one till the end, it also includes Us citizens.

If you're heading south of the border anytime soon, Canadians are about to face a surcharge of $5.50 if travelling there by air or boat. In a move implemented by the Obama administration, the cash-strapped U.S. government is trying to find new ways to help relieve the $1 trillion deficit.

While the relations between Canada and the U.S. have been strained recently because of Obama's "Buy American" rules, this seems to be another move which could see relations between the two neighbours slide.

The new surcharge comes from a provision in the free-trade agreement between Colombia and the U.S. It effectively nullified an exception of levying fees on those travelling from Canada, Mexico and Caribbean nations.

Canadians have been exempt from the fee for some time, should expect to see an increase in travel prices, hidden in the cost of a ticket for air or boat travel.

According to the American embassy in Ottawa, the tax isn't specifically targetted towards Canadians and claims it is a tax for everybody to pay when entering the United States.

The Harper government vows to fight the extra tax Canadians will face and in February, attacked the new policy as a bad proposal designed to bail out the debt of the U.S. on the backs of Canadians.

“Raising taxes at the border just raises costs on consumers,” International Trade Minister Ed Fast said in a statement. “Canadian officials have raised concerns about the removal of this exemption at the highest level. We will continue to raise Canada’s concerns with U.S. lawmakers.”

As many as 7 million Canadians travel to the United States per year by air an an additional 150,000 by boat. Though in all fairness, everyone, including U.S. citizens, must also pay the new entry fee when travelling from anywhere in the world.

I won't debate whether it's right or wrong. I will say as someone that crosses the Northern and Southern border with some regularity, messing around with either Canadian or US border protocols is a mistake. Both take these things very seriously and take a dim view of violating the rules. If you are flagged while boarding, you will lose your cruise money and not be allowed to board. Canadian law enforcement checks our criminal system regularly and they routinely turn folks away at the border. If you fit the profile, apply for the waiver and do it the right way.:eek:

BruceMuzz user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsingal viewpost.gif

HI: I am thinking about planning an Alaskan cruise with my family. One of my family members has a criminal record. I know that most, if not all, of Alaskan cruises include at least one port call to a city in Canada. People with criminal records are not allowed entry to Canada. Therefore, it is very critical to know whether this family member can still go on the cruise and just remain on the ship when it docks at the Canadian port. The plan would be to go on a cruise that begins and ends either in Seattle or Anchorage (sp?).

I would prefer an answer from people who have firm knowledge on this issue. I had read another message thread (don't think it was on this site though) that stated that the person has to be cleared to enter Canada to even be allowed to go on the cruise, and that it isn't a matter of just staying on the ship when it is docked in Canada.

I have managed cruise ships for several decades and have cruised Alaska approximately 300 times. On nearly every trip, we had Americans with criminal records onboard. On nearly every one of those cruises, Canadian authorities contacted my Purser before our arrival and requested that we prevent a certain number of pax from disembarking in Canada before the local officials could come aboard for interviews. After the interviews, those who had previously officially cleared their records with Canadian authorities were usually allowed to go ashore. Those who had not cleared their records were told that they must remain onboard in any Canadian port. Gangway Security is informed to prevent them going ashore.

A very few of those with criminal records were taken away in handcuffs and did not return to the ship. The authorities never give us details, so I have no idea why this happened.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of cruising to Canada with a DUI. ie, has the person been denied going ashore if customs finds out about a DUI? I know that rehabilitation can be granted but given the process and fees involved getting this it seems senseless to get this as the cruise we want to do has only two days in Canada. Has anyone ever just "winged it" and got to go ashore?

Thanks much,

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. I personally would choose another cruise, or look into the Rehabilitation process.

Link to the CBSA about people who may be denied entry:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

More info on http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Please Note: Canada, like the United States, has rules that prohibit entry for persons with specific ineligibilities. For example, anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)), no matter how long ago, may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Lots more info here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312E2.asp

Edited by 6rugrats