International use of ATM-only cards vs. Debit cards

Much advice has been given on the advantages of using a more secure ATM-only card which requires a PIN, vs. an ATM / Debit card. The latter requires no PIN when used as a Debit card, and, if lost, can result in your entire checking account being emptied by a thief. :mad: Of course banks will replace the cash once notified, but you're without funds for a number of business days until you get reimbursed.:(

I was therefore alarmed :eek: when my bank (Bank of America) informed me that my ATM-only card would not work internationally at ATM machines - I would have to obtain a ATM / Debit card with a VISA or MC symbol. I was doubtful that this information was correct, because I had used that ATM-only card previously in Barcelona.

Only after pressing the issue with two levels of supervision and over an hour on the phone was I able to clarify their policy, and it is this:

An ATM-only card will work internationally as long as it is linked only to a checking account, not any savings accounts.

This explains why my card worked for me in the past (only linked to checking). I will confirm on this thread that this is in fact still the working policy once I return from my trip. Hopefully this saves some travelers the grief of not being able to access their cash overseas.

Does anyone know if this policy is standard across all banks? :confused:

Must be different in the USA

we have Debit card linked to savings account ..it works for me everywhere

It will go the the Primary account usually

I have a card specifically set up for travel & I keep just a about $1000. in it

I can transfer from another bank if I need more $$

Cannot use it as POS out of the Country though...only ATM machines

Lyn

we have Debit card linked to savings account ..it works for me everywhere

Cannot use it as POS out of the Country though...only ATM machines

If I'm interpreting this right, it sounds like you're calling yours a Debit card, and maybe you've used it in Point Of Sale transactions in "the country" (Canada, I presume), contrasting that with POS out of the country.

If so, that's not what I'm talking about in my post.

I'm talking about plain vanilla ATM cards, lacking the VISA or MC symbol, only empowered to reach your checking account, and only for ATM withdrawls. (Not valid for VISA or MC debit purchases).

If I'm interpreting this right, it sounds like you're calling yours a Debit card, and maybe you've used it in Point Of Sale transactions in "the country" (Canada, I presume), contrasting that with POS out of the country.

Ours are different I guess

Several of my bank cards can be used as ATM cards (in other countries) for withdrawals & POS purchases (only in Canada)

That is why I said it must be a different system in the USA

Maybe someone with the same banking institution can answer your question

Ours are different I guess

Several of my bank cards can be used as ATM cards (in other countries) for withdrawals & POS purchases (only in Canada)

That is why I said it must be a different system in the USA

My ATM-only card that I'm describing can also be used for POS purchases, but it requires me to enter a PIN, and that's the important difference.

A combination ATM and Debit card with the VISA / MC logo can be used for an ATM POS purchase but it requires a PIN. The security problem with this card is that it can also be used as a Debit card - no PIN required, just a chicken-scratch signature. In fact, many vendors offer either purchase option with such a combination ATM / Debit card. You verbally declare which you want, and the money comes out of your account in the same manner.

The difference? In one instance, you merely sign your name, and VISA / MC gets a royalty. In the other instance, you enter your PIN, and no royalty is collected by the middleman.

Both transactions come directly out of your bank account. But only one is protected by knowing the PIN.

That's why many advise against carrying a combo Debit / ATM card.

Our Debit/Atm card here require a PIN for purchases... funds are withdrawn immediately from your bank account

also requires a PIN to withdraw cash from an ATM

Visa & MC (credit card) require a PIN (if merchant has the machine) or a signature

different banking systems in different Countries

I wish you luck in finding the answer to your question

Much advice has been given on the advantages of using a more secure ATM-only card which requires a PIN, vs. an ATM / Debit card. The latter requires no PIN when used as a Debit card, and, if lost, can result in your entire checking account being emptied by a thief. :mad: Of course banks will replace the cash once notified, but you're without funds for a number of business days until you get reimbursed.:(

I was therefore alarmed :eek: when my bank (Bank of America) informed me that my ATM-only card would not work internationally at ATM machines - I would have to obtain a ATM / Debit card with a VISA or MC symbol. I was doubtful that this information was correct, because I had used that ATM-only card previously in Barcelona.

Only after pressing the issue with two levels of supervision and over an hour on the phone was I able to clarify their policy, and it is this:

An ATM-only card will work internationally as long as it is linked only to a checking account, not any savings accounts.

This explains why my card worked for me in the past (only linked to checking). I will confirm on this thread that this is in fact still the working policy once I return from my trip. Hopefully this saves some travelers the grief of not being able to access their cash overseas.

Does anyone know if this policy is standard across all banks? :confused:

For my med cruise last year, I notified my bank (BOA) with my itinerary for both my ATM-only card (and even went through changing to a 4-digit pin). Did same with my credit card (also through BOA). As a precaution I opened up an account at Capital One Bank, with an additional ATM-only bank card and an additional credit card. (I didn't want myself or my husband, who was staying at home, to run into any problems with them cross-referencing who was where and put a stop to either account.) Anyway, I get to Europe and my ATM cards would NOT work for ATM withdrawals - neither one of them! I called both BOA and Capital One. Capital One I kept getting disconnected - after several attempts I gave up on them. BoA - they did really try to help me out - they really, really did, transferring me to several different people after me telling them, sorry that's not acceptable that I can't retrieve my $, however, there was nothing they could do as my card was linked only to my savings - so I'm guessing it may/may not have worked if it was also/only linked to checking, but it wasn't!

Med cruise - $1900; Airfare - $800; Credit Card bill on return home -$2000; traveling with friends with ATM cards that worked - priceless!

Moral of the story - maybe get an ATM/Debit card for a new checking account that would be only used for traveling with a set amount to keep in same.

PS - upon my return home I did post this ATM dilemma on -"TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise". I was hoping to save someone who may not have been as fortunate as I was with my travel companions.

If so, that's not what I'm talking about in my post.

I'm talking about plain vanilla ATM cards, lacking the VISA or MC symbol, only empowered to reach your checking account, and only for ATM withdrawls. (Not valid for VISA or MC debit purchases).

The Debit card issued by my institution has the Visa Logo. Whichever way it is used (Credit or debit) the money comes out of the same account - Primary Checking. This summer I used the card overseas to get cash in local currency from ATMs.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from my cruise, and happy to report that my plain-old ATM card (no VISA, no MC symbols) worked as I had hoped, for withdrawing cash.

I used it at the airport in Frankfort, Germany in a Deutsche Bank ATM machine to withdraw Euros.

Just to reiterate, since this thread has gotten a little confusing, my bank, B of A, says that simple ATM cards (no VISA, MC symbol) would work overseas for withdrawing cash from ATMs ONLY if they are NOT linked to a savings account. They WILL work if they are linked ONLY to a checking account.

The ATM / Debit issue is important, because you shouldn't be carrying around a Debit card. If lost, somebody can empty your checking or savings account just by swiping the card and scribbling a signature - no PIN required. Many consumer advocates warn against carrying such cards.

If you get a Debit card from your bank, cut it up and ask for an ATM-only card.

And if you plan on using it overseas, make sure it's linked only to a checking account. :cool:

Back from my cruise, and happy to report that my plain-old ATM card (no VISA, no MC symbols) worked as I had hoped, for withdrawing cash.

I used it at the airport in Frankfort, Germany in a Deutsche Bank ATM machine to withdraw Euros.

Just to reiterate, since this thread has gotten a little confusing, my bank, B of A, says that simple ATM cards (no VISA, MC symbol) would work overseas for withdrawing cash from ATMs ONLY if they are NOT linked to a savings account. They WILL work if they are linked ONLY to a checking account.

The ATM / Debit issue is important, because you shouldn't be carrying around a Debit card. If lost, somebody can empty your checking or savings account just by swiping the card and scribbling a signature - no PIN required. Many consumer advocates warn against carrying such cards.

I think it is a bit different in Europe. Whether it's a stand-alone credit card* or a debit card**, most European cards use the chip & PIN system, rather than having a magnetic strip only (which is what your 'plain old ATM card' sounds like). It is well known that US tourists may have difficulty using some cards in European countries, especially France. The situation isn't quite so dire as you make out though - in most cases, you will be allowed to pay for goods in a shop or to withdraw cash in a bank or bureau de change with just a signature, provided you have an acceptable additional form of ID on you.

----------------

*Credit card: a card that runs off an account that pays out for purchases or cash withdrawals, but no money is actually kept in it - you pay it off by transferring money from another account. Can be run by banks/building societies or authorised CC companies.

**Debit card: One that's linked to a current or savings account, and each purchase reduces the balance in that account; once the balance (plus any allowed overdraft) is gone, the card will be unusable.

Archived