Anti-Scottish discrimination

madscot

According to Julia Harris of P&O, their Marine Security Manager adamantly refuses to allow Scottish passengers to take on board their sgian dubh, the small, decorative knife that is part of Scottish national dress, which many of us wear as formal attire. This policy is mindlessly excessive, as every passenger has access to sharper, longer knives at every meal; nor is it universal, as on Fred Olsen cruises, for example, the Security Officer takes such items at embarkation and delivers them to the Purser, who issues them to the appropriate passengers on request.

I thought this was quite general in the UK, especially at Dinner Dance/Wedding venues etc. As such formal dress attire is now available with "safe" items that look like the offending item but carry no danger.

I certainly wouldn't agree that the dinner knives are that sharp! I was considering bringing a small sharp fruit knife with me on my next cruise but didn't think it would pass security so why should a real skean dhu? I thought you could get plastic replicas?

My husband wore his all 4 formal nights on our Azura cruise last month. No one said anything. Once on Princess the waitress asked to see it and we thought they might say something then but she was just curious.

And actually the replica ones are awful, cheap and nasty looking, you cannot get a good looking one at all.

Many years ago a company made good quality ones with combs instead of blades but I haven't been able to trace one for years.

Another alternative is a sghian brew, but they are made individually to order and as such are very expensive.

Although one would think that these things would be allowed, I am sure that such limitations are not discriminatory but rather taken as safety precautions. You could easily take a replica which looks authentic :)

I am Arab, our formal dress involves a traditional dagger, try taking that on board !

I never travel with one unless very necessary. Recently had a function to attend in Beijing where they expected me decked out in it, and I was in such a rush at the airport I tried to go through security with a full blown sharp dagger with sheath (unintentionally- lapse of mind) ! Needless to say, the personnel were not amused. It was Dubai Airport so they finally let me check it in. If such a thing happened out of the Arab world I might have ended up in prison...

My husband wore his all 4 formal nights on our Azura cruise last month. No one said anything. Once on Princess the waitress asked to see it and we thought they might say something then but she was just curious.

Yee gods, so security failed to spot your husbands banned sgian dubh knife, thats a massive failing on their behalf. Lets hope they are stricter in future for all our sakes, if they missed this banned item, what else are they missing?

My husband doesn't wear one with his kilt, saves a bit of bother, but I can't see why anyone would object on a cruise. Certainly there have been many a one on the cruises we have done in Scotland.

Just seems PC gone mad, and negative comments on this forum can only have been made by people who have never seen one. Certainly most knives on board, let alone the various knitting, tatting , crafting and painting implements some women (including myself) carry onboard, would be as much of a weapon as the small ornamental sgian dubh worn by most Scots. And I also agree that the tatty plastic one is horrible, better to wear none at all.

I should also note that it is completely legal to wear the sgian dubh with the kilt under UK law (English, Scots and Welsh). What law does P&O operate under ?

Cheers

My husband doesn't wear one with his kilt, saves a bit of bother, but I can't see why anyone would object on a cruise. Certainly there have been many a one on the cruises we have done in Scotland.

Just seems PC gone mad, and negative comments on this forum can only have been made by people who have never seen one. Certainly most knives on board, let alone the various knitting, tatting , crafting and painting implements some women (including myself) carry onboard, would be as much of a weapon as the small ornamental sgian dubh worn by most Scots. And I also agree that the tatty plastic one is horrible, better to wear none at all.

I should also note that it is completely legal to wear the sgian dubh with the kilt under UK law (English, Scots and Welsh). What law does P&O operate under ?

Cheers

The ship is registered in Bermuda so perhaps it comes under the laws of Bermuda. Have you investigated their laws? Might be wise to do so!

Actually not Scottish .... just married to a Scot. Also I am a bit pedantic so inclined to correct misapprehensions. Shame there are so many about Scottish culture !

And I don't see what there is to worry about in Scotland : free higher education, free medical and health care including prescriptions, free care for the aged .... a vibrant culture, a healthy and well-educated population (pity about the weather).

Slainte !

Actually not Scottish .... just married to a Scot. Also I am a bit pedantic so inclined to correct misapprehensions. Shame there are so many about Scottish culture !

Rubbish!! We all know that Rab C Nesbitt represents all Scots! One of the finest philosophers of all time :-)

And I don't see what there is to worry about in Scotland : free higher education, free medical and health care including prescriptions, free care for the aged .... a vibrant culture, a healthy and well-educated population (pity about the weather).

Slainte !

..don't forget free hospital car parking too.... Very unfair to us English having to pay when they don't...discrimination to the English but lets not worry about that.

Slainte !

And mostly paid for by the rest of the UK as under the Barnett formula the Scots get more from the Treasury per head than the rest of us.

And mostly paid for by the rest of the UK as under the Barnett formula the Scots get more from the Treasury per head than the rest of us.

Which in turn is largely subsidised by the revenue from Scottish oil.

Why is it these discussions always seem to deteriorate into such pointless tit for tat slagging matches?

To get back to the original point rules is rules and are there for everyones safety so I will be capitulating and wearing my plastic pretend Sgian-dubh even although it does look cheap and nasty when compared to my real one.

I can't really see many people paying that much attention to my calves that it will make any difference.

Getting back to the thread, my partner is Scottish and has had to give up taking the 'real' one on cruises but last time we were in Edinburgh, we bought one of the replicas. Okay, it definitely does not look as good as the real thing but actually its not that bad. I can't say that Tony has remotely thought of it as being discriminatory at all. I am sure P&O do not ask for proof that you were born in Scotland before potentially confiscating your sgian dubh.

It may not be fair and it may not be sensible/logical but I certainly do not feel it is discriminatory.

Archived