Beach Advice and islan views

radiationman

keep in mind that while St. Lucia is a small island in area, it take a long time to get anywhere due to the narrow, mountainous roads. thus - it is at best a 1.5 hour drive from the port to the south of the island, even though it is only about 27 or so miles as the crow flies - the island is only 32 miles long! So, half the day at the beach leaves little time to do much sight-seeing.

I would highly recommend you do a land/sea tour combo that takes you down the west coast through some fishing villages and amazing scenery, past a huge banana plantation to the town of Soufriere, to the volcano/suplhur springs, amazing views of the Pitons, some beach time and a boat ride back up the coast. those tours are usually about 6 hours, include drinks and lunch, entrance fees, etc and run around $65-$75US pp. There are lots of great recommendations on this site for companies including Spencer Ambrose, Cosol, James Touring, etc.

Another option would be to just visit some of the sights in the north of the island, within 30 mintes or so pf the port. while not the most famous or beautiful sights of the island, still lovely and would give you lots of time for the beach. One option would be Pigeon Island, about a 30 minute drive from the port. It is an old fort of the Britsih with some ruins, 2 great restaurants and a lovely beach to relax on, even some snorkeling, although nothing like what is found down south near the Pitons. The cab ride would be about $30US one way for up to 4 persons, the entrance fee to the park is $5US pp, and you can spend all day there, plenty of shade, chairs to rent, facilities, etc.

Another beach option is Reduit Beach. No real sights there, but a long stretch of beach with lots of restaurants, bars, chairs/umbrellas to rent. Abotu 25 minutes from the port and $25US for up to 4 persons one way.

The sights around the port include Morne Fortune - an amazing view point over the north of the island, Derek Walcott Square, the Castries Cathedral, the old-world architecture, etc.

Hope that helps give you some idea of what to see or do on the island. Enjoy your visit!

Some good advice in the above post. Thanks!

I would love to see the Pitons, but am a bit discouraged by the reports of the actual island tours (long, hot, curvy drive) and the beach situation between the pitons. So we will be looking for alternatives.

What "beach situation" are you referring to? While I know the hotel there tries to limit day guests to one area, they can't - by law here in St. Lucia. ALL beaches are public, whether in front of a hotel or not, you are perfectly allowed and able to put your towl down anywhere on any beach. While their nicer chairs are reserved for hotel guests, the beach is free. Even if you went on your own, not on a tour, they cannot stop you from using any stretch of the beach.

What "beach situation" are you referring to? While I know the hotel there tries to limit day guests to one area, they can't - by law here in St. Lucia. ALL beaches are public, whether in front of a hotel or not, you are perfectly allowed and able to put your towl down anywhere on any beach. While their nicer chairs are reserved for hotel guests, the beach is free. Even if you went on your own, not on a tour, they cannot stop you from using any stretch of the beach.

I keep reading reviews that people are pressured to stay off of the nice beach area while on a tour. Being within my rights or not, I am on vacation and do not want to feel as if we are not welcome. Plus, we do need chairs. Due to physical limitations a towel on the sand does not work well for me.

One the other hand, if the other side of the beach is the best snorkeling area we will spend a lot of time there. We like to relax in a beach chair for a short time, but will spend at least half of our time in the water with the fishes.;)

A perfect beach day for us involves a relaxing chair, the sound of a mild surf, good snorkeling, a cold drink and plenty of shade. A perfect beach day in St. Lucia would include all of that plus a nice view of the Pitons.:cool:

• 2 months later...

Ginny~

I also wanted to go to the Pitons while in St Lucia but felt a bit discouraged by the posts so we played it "safe" and went to a different beach (Reduit).. BIGGEST mistake. Now I usually don't regret things but this is one I do. Reduit beach is like any other beach nothing special at all, and going to see the Pitons and getting to see Sugar beach would have been amazing and I wish we would have just done it. St Lucia is not the place to NOT see.... and I can't believe I made this choice :(

Just wanted to put in my two cents :) Hopefully it might persuade you to take the plunge to the Pitons. You never know, you might not feell unwelcomed at all..... and you will get to see the Pitons! Worth the risk

:)

Archived