Back to Back Nov 1st through Nov 13

artlee

This is an extraordinary board. Just about all of the other boards on Cruise Critic have lots of drama and people sniping about alcohol policies, toiletry supplies, kids on board, tipping policies, and chair hogging. On this board, people seem to be uniformly pleased just to praise SeaDream. It's amazing, isn't it. The board is almost as calming and relaxing as the cruise itself.

8 days to go!

;) It is a big difference which I'm looking forward to it translating into reality on my upcoming trip. Everything that is discussed on the boards happens on board :( THe constant calls to purchase, rude children (not all but it always seems like there are 20 rude children with indifferent parents), Never able to find a seat past 8am since there are towels and a book draped over a chair but no people until 10

Thanks for another great report artlee!

Totkally agree that it takes at least two days to unwind ... part of the reason I finally do not get any resistance from DJ's DH when I suggest a SD cruise that is longer than 7 nights.:cool:

Actually knotheadusc, St. Barts was owned by Sweden for quite sometime!

Actually knotheadusc, St. Barts was owned by Sweden for quite sometime!

I was referring to how expensive everything was! It reminded me of being in Switzerland. Although now that you mention it, I suppose it could have reminded me of Sweden for the same reason!

Almost missed breakfast this morning. Normally i am an early riser. Not on SD. Had a repeat corned beef hash. Sitting around the pool. It is a beautifulsunny day. In Virgin Gorda so there are lots of yachts and sailboats in fact we watched a sailboat race. Beautiful. Must be nice to live here. Big demonstration in the lounge this AM. Chef making crepes, towell folding tricks, shoulder massages, card tricks. I asked the chef for pointers on making soup. Can't wait to try it. Bikes set along the railings for those wanting them on the island. This is the most crowded the pool deck has been and still a couple chairs open. Sadly there are some chair hogs up front under the canopy. Never seen them, only their books and towels. Tonight there will be a cocktail party for club members. Hey thats me!

This is a random question. How are the omelets? I find it rare to het a perfectly prepared omelet without a speck of brown.

If you get one that is not to your liking they will gladly remake it as many times as necessary to give you exactly what you want.

I will say I have never had any issues with the omelets.

I love omelettes and theirs are grand. Fluffy, not brown, filled with your choice in just the right amounts. I doubt you will be disappointed. I was wondering how it would feel to do only 5 days if we weren't btb. While i think it would be fine, I'm glad we are on the next one too.

Lunch was cream of tomato soup - are you seeing a pattern here? - and weiner snitzel. Excellent. DW had salad. Party pooper. Chef is always visable and very friendly. He is getting married soon. I think she is a chef on board too. Serious food going in that family. Love to have them next door.I'm going to the room to cool down a bit and she is off to more sun.

Its weird to be on vacation yet all the staff knows you. My wife was looking for me and they just pointed. Scarry. Better be good, haha. I hurt my back a few days before the trip so I'm getting a massage at 5:15. Hope it helps. It's tough to get old. For newbies of course there is a tv and dvd in the room if you are like me and need a respet from the heat. Board games available - saw someone playing scrabble on deck. Also a puzzle half put together in the lounge. There was a hike today with Jeff, the activities director. Really nice day. Hot, some clouds, some breeze.

Very good massage. It's not every day that someone walks on my back to loosen me up. At the end she could have held me over the side and just shake me like a towel.

I'm curious if i'll be able to use the espn ap to watch games. The world will be watching Alabama LSU but I want to watch my guys Wake get killed by notre dame. It shows as being on my ipad at 8 tomorrow. That would be too cool to watch football in jost van dyke.

Very good massage. It's not every day that someone walks on my back to loosen me up. At the end she could have held me over the side and just shake me like a towel.

I'm curious if i'll be able to use the espn ap to watch games. The world will be watching Alabama LSU but I want to watch my guys Wake get killed by notre dame. It shows as being on my ipad at 8 tomorrow. That would be too cool to watch football in jost van dyke.

Roll Tide! Yes, maybe at the Soggy Dollar??:D

Caribbean night at dinner. Not my favorite but good non the less. Roasted beef sirloin with jabenera sauce. Of course DW had her one of a kind strawberry desert made just for her. Club members cocktail party was nice. Caviar flowing. Captain recognized a couple who had been on board SD 180 nights. Lucky them. After our second half this trip we'll be 21. We're going to have to work harder. I think in past threads there has been discussions of big groups changing the dynamics a bit. I would say that is true here. There is a loud group of 20 or so and they kind of take over. But just avoiding them and not letting them affect our good time.

Dinner was inside due to weather which was fine with me as it was a little cooler. I think everome came at the same time but they never mis a beat. Pierre and Silvio run a great show.

Can't believe it but its an early night again. The sun and air just tire me out.

Today is the champaigne splash and it looks like good weather. They will take us in for a wet landing on their zodiacs begining at 11. What a job to take every thing they need to the shore via zodiacs before we go and then set it up. It was so cool last time and I'm sure will be again. Do they do something similar in the Med?

The weather has been overcast much of our voyage but has not stopped us from having a grand time. Maybe even a little better without the sun beating down all the time. Got a note this AM saying since we were doing btb we were entitled to a second pair of pj's! Woohoo. Aren't we something? Life is good on SD.

The captain did mention that SD has made it through some tough times first with 9/11 and now the economy but they are still strong thanks to the regulars to a large degree. I think we are 100 on board. Wonder what the break even is? I don't think they were close to full in the crossing either.

How true DJ. Splash was very nice. I love it when they blow the yachts horn at noon to start the party. Michee was a riot as he shook all the champaige bottles and shot the cork up into the air. It was held on the beach this time instead of in the water. Actually it was easier this time. Roast beef, pork, chicken, sausages, burgers, and on and on. Just like your everyday beach party. Came back around 2:30 to a half empty pool deck. Came to the room to cool down and wqtxhed a little football on my ipad. Still can't get over being able to do that. DW is still seeking sun. She will be a brown bunny soon. She turns brown, I burn and blister. Tonight is the digestive (sp?) dinner. Last time they had some fancy stuff that was out of my league. I may cop out and get steak. Don't hate on me. Let's see if I can find my wife. More later.

Bartenders at TOY have mostly been Gideon, Michee, and Brian.

Thanks Jim! When we were climbing out of the zodiac I think it was Olivier with a tray of drinks I just grabbed one. Then I heard him say the ones in the back are painkillers. I laughed put mine back and grabbed one and said this is for Jim. My wife just looked at me and shook her head. haha

The whole splash thing is amazing. Watching them load boat after boat with equipment and food all morning long was something. For newbies you may be thinking that getting in and out of the zodiac will be difficult. Fear not. I seam to have lost all my co-ordination lately and I have to admit to being a little nervous about it. Easy. There are hands helping you everywhere and even the folks older than me :eek: were making it fine. There was a lady with a cast and she made it. I'm guessing a couple of the crew lifted her up and out. She had a big smile on her face coming back on board. Good for her, she has not been slowed at all.

So DJ while it is true that I get to do everything twice and 2 pj's, we also have to go thru customs twice in SJ. We have a massage scheduled for 9:30. They better make it quick!! That reminds me my back is 100% better. After another treatment tomorrow I may be joggin the deck. We are thinking about going off to a restaurant in Condado (?) called Casa Lido I think. Someone said it was great. Of course my DW said so is the one on board. She usually wins out so we'll see.

She is a trickster that one. Last time on SD 2 we used to have a cheese plate in the afternoon with our friends B and L. I just loved it and so far had been avoiding it just because of the total food intake. While I was cooling down in 402 and DW was up getting more sun I was tempted to sneek one in. Hide the evidence and nobody would be the wiser. I was good and fought the temptation I went up and found her on a balanese bed munching a darn cheese plate. She looked up and said here there is some left. Hardly. No brie. Blue cheese with no crackers. Half a hard fig. Honestly.... I see how it is now! I love you dear.

I asked about the crew welfare fund and it seems that after the cruise they split it up over the whole crew. If someone leaves before the end and is not there they miss out. Doing BTB I thought I better do it twice just to be sure all are covered.

Got to get ready for dinner. Starving as I DID NOT HAVE ANY CHEESE!

Artlee, I'm loving you. Tell your wife to be good to you, 'cause who knows who might be reading, and who knows who might be in the market for a good man.

Btw, I have a good man, but wow, do I have a friend or two who would slice you up as much brie as you want, day after day! A particular one comes to mind whom I know would toss in some fabulous French comte. . .unusual crackers, too. Ha! :p

Continue your fun. I'm certainly having fun right along with you. Thanks for sharing!

Massages:

Traditional Thai

Traditional Thai with Herbs

Swedish

Soothing aroma body massage

Asian Blend

Hot Stone

All $158 for 60 minutes/$198 for 75, and $238 for 90 minutes.

I thought I asked for swedish but I never had one with someone crawling on me so maybe that is Thai??

I'm showing my wife that post about the brie. That will get her attention!! HaHa.

Ok I have to watch wake notre dame now. We are up by 7 at half while I ate. Hope I don't jinx them. Sorry, more later.

Having had a real Thai massage in Thailand (which, according to my husband, resembles big-time wrestling), I'd describe the massages on SeaDream to be more of a fusion type.

Thai trained masseuses doing a Swedish massage = fusion. Traditional Thai massage can be too rough. . .Swedish, perhaps too passive. "SeaDream fusion" is the best in my opinion.

Sssssh Artlee, here's a tip: order your cheese plate to be delivered while you are "napping" and your wife is browning in the sun. Just make sure your stewardess takes the plate away (or you do it yourself). She'll never know. The additional positive side of this is that you'll likely eat less at dinner, and she'll think you're being "good." Perfect!

The whole cheesething is going to have legs in our household.We certainly have had plenty of laughs over it. And when I showed her the responses/suggestions on here she was crying. Sort of as a silent statement I cut off some brie from the breakfast buffet to have with my corned beef hash. She never noticed! Oh well, brie is good with hash I discovered.

Let s see if I can remember the dinner last night. Let's call it the D dinner since I can't spell the thing. It's an opportunity for the chef to be creative. To be honest I wasn't fan last time as it included some things I just don't eat. While the samewas true this time I did like it better and would do it again.

Caviar in an egg shell with a whipped egg mixture in the bottom of the shell.

I am not a fan of caviar but it was not bad.

Loose crab fromed into a cake topped with lobster drizzled with a citrus sauce. Good.

Pumpkin cappachino soup. Yea, I know but I think the cappachino part wsa how it ws served. It had a foamytop like a cap would have. AWESOME!!!!!\\

Oops off to massage. Ballance to follow.

Archived