Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

Please. If you are an american, middle class, who is able to take a cruise you ARE the 1%!!!!!! Stop watching the evening news.

plz get your facts straight... that 1 % of the world you are talking about... is probaly all the people on this board.

if you make 35k a year YOU are in the 1% of the world.

hyperbole /talking points of Occupy

I'd like to have some of what you two are smokin'.....:D

My point is: I don't care. Do whatever you want with my 1.50. Make change at a local port and take 150 pennies, give them to kids in kids camp, and have them throw said pennies at seagulls that land on the railings so we can cut down on the cost of seagull poop clean up. I don't care.

THAT, I agree with :D

And I ask that as someone who's posted here twice....

this discussion has gotten far afield from cruise tipping and is almost all about individual political/socioeconomic views.

Please close this thread NOW!!

For real

If you make 35 k a year you are in the top 1 % in the world economy

Google it

I took your dare.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

WHAT THE TOP 1%, 5%, 10%, 25% and 50% MAKE IN AMERICA

Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX DATA, 2010

I asssure you, the top 1% are not on this board arguing with everyone over $1.50.

For real

If you make 35 k a year you are in the top 1 % in the world economy

Google it

Some people have no grip on global economics. I think when the "1%" is referenced, people think that's one percent of the US, or the top earning 1% of wallstreet execs. Hate to burst bubbles, but you're dead on. If you are a frequent cruiser, chances are you're in the top 33% of the US population and EASILY in the top 1% of the global economy.

I took your dare.

WHAT THE TOP 1%, 5%, 10%, 25% and 50% MAKE IN AMERICA

Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX DATA, 2010

Miss the point much??

And I ask that as someone who's posted here twice....

this discussion has gotten far afield from cruise tipping and is almost all about individual political/socioeconomic views.

Please close this thread NOW!!

why? because the view does not match yours? good gravy marie.....:rolleyes:

Yes, they definitely deserve a raise....years ago how many people never showed up on the last night of the cruise to avoid paying tips????? This new system of automatically added to your onboard account makes up for those cheap people.....plenty of money to get balconies & suites, but too cheap to tip.

Also, many people don't know this, but the crew get very little, if anything for a salary, they basically work for their tips. They have to tip their room steward to clean their cabins, and pay the laundry to clean their clothes. They also have to buy all of their work clothes, cruise lines don't even give them those. What little they get to keep, they send home to their families who don't get to see them once every 6 or 8 months depending upon their contracts.

Would you work so hard and smile for so little???

My son summed this up very well when we were cruising, he made the statement that the reason there were no American employees to be seen was Americans would never work like that, much less still smile and treat everyone nice. Especially when they were in your face for something that really wasn't important. We are a spoiled nation and sometimes maybe that isn't anything to brag about. I heard a few people really giving their steward a hard time because they didn't get a towel elephant, but a monkey instead, their child wanted an elephant. And another couple told a waiter he should go back where he came from because they thought their portion was too small, like that had any connection or that he had control over the portions.

We are , for the most part, very privileged.

Perhaps true for the "world" but definitely NOT true for America - at 35K, you're not even in the top 50%.

Suggest you start watching the evening news.... ;)

Did I ever say in America? See post 146. I meant and said the world. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Miss the point much??

When one is refering to the top 1% (as in the protesters) they mean Americans.

Making $35k here in the US is borderline (not much above) poverty...it means nothing to someone struggling to pay their bills that they are better off than someone in some third world country....so your point has no relevance.

Making $35k here in the US is borderline (not much above) poverty...it means nothing to someone struggling to pay their bills that they are better off than someone in some third world country.

When I made reference to it, it was to the world economy, not America. I really couldn't care less what the idiot protesters are talking about. Doesn't it seem a big codesending to the rest of the world when Americans complain about the top one percent of americans when they themselfs are probably in the top 4% of the world? Seems a pretty narrow view to me, and I think an apt conparison in this debate, seeing as almost all of the cruise employees that will be getting the $1.50 bump are coming from countries much poorer than the US.

Making $35k here in the US is borderline (not much above) poverty...it means nothing to someone struggling to pay their bills that they are better off than someone in some third world country....so your point has no relevance.

Wether they 'think' they are better off or not doesn't matter, the fact is the ARE better off. My point is 1.) Households struggeling making 35k a year are probably not cruising. 2.) Those third world folks are the ones getting our additional $1.50!:)

Rhetorical question of the day...

Why don't those who CONTINUOUSLY complain about Carnival's service, cut-backs, etc. go cruise on another line & stay away from Carnival (and its CC boards, LOL)?

It seems like such a no-brainer to me. :)

I think that every time I see a post like that.

When I made reference to it, it was to the world economy, not America. I really couldn't care less what the idiot protesters are talking about. Doesn't it seem a big codesending to the rest of the world when Americans complain about the top one percent of americans when they themselfs are probably in the top 4% of the world? Seems a pretty narrow view to me, and I think an apt conparison in this debate, seeing as almost all of the cruise employees that will be getting the $1.50 bump are coming from countries much poorer than the US.

Listen, I have no feeling/thoughts on the protesters good or bad...if they think what they are doing is productive, good for them. I don't but that's just me. And I have no idea how this turned into a conversation about the 1%....

As for why anyone here in the US should be grateful to be poverty level just because there are people worse off elsewhere, I don't buy that.

It's like years ago when Mom's used to tell you to finish your dinner because there are children starving in China...what good is that???

(LOL...wow....I just realized the irony in that considering they practically own us )

A person struggling right now, would have a narrow view. Count your blessings you are not one of them.

I do, every day.

Infering that people need to look at the 'big picture' when some can't feed their kids is beyond narrow minded.

What does this have to do with the crew?? Nothing

If CCL pays them horribly, there are other cruise lines to work for. I don't see many of them jumping ship, so I don't think it's as bad as some here are making it out to be.

I do NOT tip well because people are from poor countries...I tip well because I get fabulous service and I appreciate it. How absolutely condescending to tip out of pity.

Listen, I have no feeling/thoughts on the protesters good or bad...if they think what they are doing is productive, good for them. I don't but that's just me. And I have no idea how this turned into a conversation about the 1%....

As for why anyone here in the US should be grateful to be poverty level just because there are people worse off elsewhere, I don't buy that.

It's like years ago when Mom's used to tell you to finish your dinner because there are children starving in China...what good is that???

(LOL...wow....I just realized the irony in that considering they practically own us )

A person struggling right now, would have a narrow view. Count your blessings you are not one of them.

I do, every day.

Infering that people need to look at the 'big picture' when some can't feed their kids is beyond narrow minded.

What does this have to do with the crew?? Nothing

If CCL pays them horribly, there are other cruise lines to work for. I don't see many of them jumping ship, so I don't think it's as bad as some here are making it out to be.

I do NOT tip well because people are from poor countries...I tip well because I get fabulous service and I appreciate it. How absolutely condescending to tip out of pity.

Whether people can see the big picture or not, that doesn't change what the big picture is. I've spent allot of time in extreamly poor parts of the world, and that's probably why I get all fired up like this. I don't think we disagree on the point though, most everyone on these boards IS very lucky to be where they are and be able to have disposable income to blow on vacations. I certainly don't tip anyone out of pity, but because of great service. But I do take umbridge with those who cry about an extra 1.50 a day for hard working people on these ships after they've just spent thousands and thousands on a cruise.

But I do take umbridge with those who cry about an extra 1.50 a day for hard working people on these ships after they've just spent thousands and thousands on a cruise.

I agree! But I have a feeling that the people who cry are not spending thousands and thousands....

Whether people can see the big picture or not, that doesn't change what the big picture is. I've spent allot of time in extreamly poor parts of the world, and that's probably why I get all fired up like this. I don't think we disagree on the point though, most everyone on these boards IS very lucky to be where they are and be able to have disposable income to blow on vacations. I certainly don't tip anyone out of pity, but because of great service. But I do take umbridge with those who cry about an extra 1.50 a day for hard working people on these ships after they've just spent thousands and thousands on a cruise.

Its not the money to a point,(in this economy mayby), but where its going.Entertainment staff? Hotel staff?

Whats the purpose of paying a fare then?The fare pays the hard costs,such as labor.

If you want to be technical and look at everyone we come in contact with,it starts with checkin,the boarding,then eating lunch,ect. Those are the people who are hard cost's,needed personal to function.How can you advertise entertainment,then expect the passengers to pay for them on top of it?

I would personally need to know what they are actually making to determine whether the increase is needed or not. They do get room and board and meals right? I know they work long hours and are away from their families....I do tip the recommended amount and will leave it at the $11.50 when we cruise next month. There are a lot of jobs that do not pay well, mine being one of them so I tend to be a little critical of some jobs and what they pay. The crew does work hard but it's hard to really have a judgement without knowing what their salary/pay rate is.

I work as a care giver at a elderly facility and work long hours, including holidays, and the pay is very little. I do it because I love helping others and our elderly citizens deserve all the care in the world! Unfortunately it's hard to keep good care staff because the pay is not what it should be. Thankfully my husband has a good job and we can afford to go on vacations because we are smart with our money and plan.

I agree with that 100%!!!

Its not the money to a point,(in this economy mayby), but where its going.Entertainment staff? Hotel staff?

Whats the purpose of paying a fare then?The fare pays the hard costs,such as labor.

If you want to be technical and look at everyone we come in contact with,it starts with checkin,the boarding,then eating lunch,ect. Those are the people who are hard cost's,needed personal to function.How can you advertise entertainment,then expect the passengers to pay for them on top of it?

Did you know exactly where it went before? Maybe you did. I didn't. I knew it got split up between wait staff, bar, etc etc. Never really mattered to me then, or now. I guess it really matters to some.

I would personally need to know what they are actually making to determine whether the increase is needed or not. .

seriously????

Who the heck are you to judge who needs a pay increase??

OMG.....

How abut I come over to your facility and judge your work and then decide what your employer should pay you???? After all, you may not make much but you may not need an increase in my eyes...

I think I've had my fill of all this.

seriously????

Who the heck are you to judge who needs a pay increase??

OMG.....

How abut I come over to your facility and judge your work and then decide what your employer should pay you???? After all, you may not make much but you may not need an increase in my eyes...

I think I've had my fill of all this.

And I 100% with THAT!:)

Archived