Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

"I think the crew deserves a shrimp cocktail at every meal plus a raise!" :cool:

Where do you think our shrimp cocktails went? :D Besides this is not a raise as they do get a salary. It's just an increase in suggested tipping. Please don't get your panties in a bunch everyone.:rolleyes:

Also, many people don't know this, but the crew get very little, if anything for a salary, they basically work for their tips. They have to tip their room steward to clean their cabins, and pay the laundry to clean their clothes. They also have to buy all of their work clothes, cruise lines don't even give them those. What little they get to keep, they send home to their families who don't get to see them once every 6 or 8 months depending upon their contracts.

Would you work so hard and smile for so little???

As far as I knew staff that worked on cruise ships made an income that was in the top 20% of their home country. In most countries it is considered a cushy job. Hard to believe as it is. No I do not begrudge them this modest increase of 20 cents per day for my steward;)

"I think the crew deserves a shrimp cocktail at every meal plus a raise!"

Where do you think our shrimp cocktails went? :D Besides this is not a raise as they do get a salary. It's just an increase in suggested tipping. Please don't get your panties in a bunch everyone.:rolleyes:

Yes that's why I said "raise" because you aren't REQUIRED to tip but if you don't want to tip you are required to show your face at Guest Services and remove them..

I think that Carnival can please all of CC by just paying the crew more, then slowly raise the cruise rates without serving notice to the customer base... :D:D:D

I wonder what move by CCL is going raise the hackles of CC next... :rolleyes:

The original question was 'Does the crew deserve an increase in THIS economy?'. Sigh...such a tired phrase (this economy). If you can afford to cruise in 'THIS economy', then the crew (and the cruise line) deserve whatever you are willing to pay. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and MAKING them pay (insert $$ amount here) for a cruise. If you think it's too high...DON'T GO! It's called YOUR CHOICE. Want to know why (American) ball players make GAZILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A GAME? Because we are willing to spend gazillions of dollars to go watch them. Know why cruise lines can raise prices (or salaries)? BECAUSE WE WILL PAY IT (happily).

There are people who won't be happy until everyone has exactly the same as everyone else and we're all living in the same kind of house, driving the same kind of car, and all wearing a grey onesie.

The original question was 'Does the crew deserve an increase in THIS economy?'. Sigh...such a tired phrase (this economy). If you can afford to cruise in 'THIS economy', then the crew (and the cruise line) deserve whatever you are willing to pay. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and MAKING them pay (insert $$ amount here) for a cruise. If you think it's too high...DON'T GO! It's called YOUR CHOICE. Want to know why (American) ball players make GAZILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A GAME? Because we are willing to spend gazillions of dollars to go watch them. Know why cruise lines can raise prices (or salaries)? BECAUSE WE WILL PAY IT (happily).

There are people who won't be happy until everyone has exactly the same as everyone else and we're all living in the same kind of house, driving the same kind of car, and all wearing a grey onesie.

I agree. The economy of late has been tough on many folks. But I think the majority of people on this board, ones that are able financially to cruise multiple times a year, have very little to complain about. Us begrudging an extra 1.50 a day to people, many of which are making WAY under US minimum wage, rubs me the wrong way.

You stated in your original post that it is difficult for the "average" person to have them removed. Its not difficult at all. Just go to Guest Services. However, does Guest Services ask you "why" when you request to have them adjusted or removed? If so, you are correct, they shouldn't ask you to defend that choice.
I think they should ask why. They want to know if there is something wrong that they need to adress.

What do you mean by "everyone"? I've gotten a raise every year. Don't assume the economy is bad everywhere for everyone; it's not.

exactly. If the economy was bad for everyone, many of us would not be cruising. They haven't raised suggested gratuities in ten years. I hardly think most people have gone that long without a raise.

A few years ago we had the pleasure of getting to know our head waitress. She told us that Carnival pays them 75.00/week. The rest of their pay comes from gratuities. The 10.00 per person per day is split between your wait staff, room steward, their helpers, bar staff etc. I have always had wonderful service and feel that they are deserving of this little increase in tips. They work hard and get little time off. Your room steward is available to you 24hrs a day, dining room staff works all dining areas. I don't know how they do it. I can't work that many hours in a day without colapsing.

Yes they deserve it. Have you seen what they do? They wait on hundreds of people every hour; they bring us drinks, silverware, napkins, our meals, they clean our tables, and 99% of the time it's almost as soon as I ask for it that I get it. They keep my room fresh, clean and fill my ice bucket (my small cooler) twice a day. Room service is quick and efficient.

When I go out to eat at home I always tip; don't you? I can not even believe that this is a subject that is being debated. if anyone has a problem paying $11.50 a day per person instead of $10 then perhaps a cruise vacation isn't the best choice. For my family of 3 it will be $34.50 per day for tips, service charge...whatever it's called. That's not bad considering that if I had to hand over $3 everytime someone brought me a glass of water, or open a door for me or brought me an entree' or a dessert. Believe me...I'd spend more than $11.50 per person a day.

It hasn't increased since 2001, good grief, that alone amazes me. Should have been done before now I suspect, and if the other lines are already higher, Carnival has to compete.

You still have the option to pay whatever you choose. This is not mandatory.

OK- my concern is the math appears to show that instead of getting a raise our MD waitstaff is splitting less:

OLD- $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks

NEW - $5.80 to dining room services

Down from $6.50 to $5.80

Maybe the 'cooks' portion in the original $1 is now coming out of the 'kitchen' portion of the $2. Assuming that is the case - the new amount is still just $.30 over what the head waiter was making. Seems someone may be getting less than they did before.

:confused:

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

I have no idea why you think the suggested tip amount increase of a cruiseline has anyhting at all to do with "town workers".

Also, are you suggesting that if we think the "raise" is warranted then that means we "have money to throw around"?

And if I think the cruiseline employees deserve their "raise", what the heck does that have to do with my local school system? Since you brought it up: Our local school system is so bad that I won't send my children there, and yet I still have to pay the taxes that help support those schools I'm not using. But I should send them more of my money?:confused: Right. I'll get right on that.:rolleyes: The private school my children attend offers a FAR better education on a much smaller budget than the public school system. The public school system should be abolished. But, as I said, what the heck does any of this have to do with cruising?:confused:

I didn't vote in your poll.

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

what is we feel school teachers are overpaid?? can I get them to send me a check?

sorry your poll isnt turning out how you wanted.

Yes they deserve it.

No I will not relate it to our town workers as it has absolutely nothing to do with them.

We do have money to "throw around" but it will not go to our local school system.

Our kids went to private schools which we paid for out of our pocket and still had to (and still currently do) pay taxes for the public school system to educate other peoples children.

Kind of a weird preface to a poll............:rolleyes:

This might be the most lopsided poll I have ever seen on CC....

LOL....

Carnival is still lower on gratuities than their two competitors, AFTER the 15% increase and they haven't raised the gratuity rate in a decade....

Seriously...

This is way overdue.

Bill

This might be the most lopsided poll I have ever seen on CC....

LOL....

Carnival is still lower on gratuities than their two competitors, AFTER the 15% increase and they haven't raised the gratuity rate in a decade....

Seriously...

This is way overdue.

Bill

No, I have had worse ones years ago:D....under an ID I lost the password for and the service provider when I moved,so I have this new ID.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

In all reality, most people won't tip extra. If you don't like the increase go cruise on RCI. Oh nevermind their gratuity is higher. Go to NCL, oh nevermind theirs is the same.:rolleyes: I agree that they should have given us notice just like they do when they roll out something new like 2.0 changes.

I personally always tip extra cash to my steward and dining waiter & leave auto tips on my S&S and will continue to do this. But note the breakout, your room steward isn't getting a 15% pay increase. Room steward will get an extra 20 cents per day. That ain't a lot a money. Dining staff will get an extra 30 cents per day. Big woop.

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services (up from $3.50)

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services (up from $5.50)

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. (up from $1) these are ones that go a huge increase.

In my opinion, more should go to stewards and dining room staff & the alternative services should get the few extra pennies. Just saying.

I'm a teacher and I voted yes. Yes, teachers, firefighters, and other emergency workers need the money, too. However, we're comparing apples to oranges here. These are workers that are paid very little for the amount of work and responsibility they have. The reason cruises are so cheap are that they hire international workers who will take the ridiculously low wages offered. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to afford cruise fares. I think they deserve a little raise. This teacher is willing to shell it out.

I was on a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise a couple of years ago right after the "automatic tipping" programs became popular. I spoke with our cabin steward about the new procedure and asked him how it was working out for him. He advised me that he did not like it. He further related to me that he, as well as other service workers (waiters, busboys, assistants to the cabin stewards, and even the drink servers) were getting LESS then when the passengers were tipping them directly with cash! I asked him where he thought the money was going. He said he didn't know and didn't want to point a finger at anyone. From that point on, I have made a point to cancel the "auto tipping" and pay my cabin steward, waiter, and bus boy a little at the beginning, again in the middle of the cruise, and again at the end. In addition I stress to them that I want THEM to get the full amont that they deserve. I'm really not concerned if the upper management or the entertainers, etc, get tipped, I'm only concerned that the folks who take care of me are taken care of. Incidentally, I always get excellent service from these folks.

I didn't realize RC had gone up - when we sailed Sept 2010, it was 9.75 per day per person unless you were in a suite.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I got a pay raise. Annual staff outing has also been cut. However, I won't begrudge someone else their raise or increased tip recommendation by their employer. I would imagine in this industry, the wages & tip recommendations would have to be competitive to keep the ships staffed.

I'm a teacher and I voted yes. Yes, teachers, firefighters, and other emergency workers need the money, too. However, we're comparing apples to oranges here. These are workers that are paid very little for the amount of work and responsibility they have. The reason cruises are so cheap are that they hire international workers who will take the ridiculously low wages offered. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to afford cruise fares. I think they deserve a little raise. This teacher is willing to shell it out.

Don't you mean the hire international workers who want to be in the wealthy top 20% in their country?

These people make a ton compared to what they could earn in their own country. Some people make a $1 a day at home,they come on a ship and make $100 a day.

Here's what the rest of the world earns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

Don't you mean the hire international workers who want to be in the wealthy top 20% in their country?

These people make a ton compared to what they could earn in their own country. Some people make a $1 a day at home,they come on a ship and make $100 a day.

Just wondering -- why do you have multiple threads that you've started on the Carnival boards about this exact same topic???

I question your motive here .....

Just wondering -- why do you have multiple threads that you've started on the Carnival boards about this exact same topic???

I question your motive here .....

and over on other boards too.

OP have you not had any increase in wages in the last 10 years? These employees in the tip pool have not had any increase since 2001.

We're still the ones reaping the benefits of international poverty, whether or not they are at the "top". Not to mention the incredible sacrifices they make to get there.

Archived