Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

Base cruise fare and tips on ones income

If we need more help to keep the fares low

We can do some of the following

Set up a monitoring system to prevent people from eating in excess

Use more hamburger helper in meatloaf and guys burgers

Charge a surcharge on anyone sailing under 65 to subsidize older folks

Blame in on the CEO and prostest

TO answer the original question...

when you have instances of 30 - 60% of the passengers STIFFING them on any particular cruise.

YES!!!

But including it in th fare prevents that from EVER happening again.

So what would you think of an employer who does not protect the wages of their workers?

Or

What do you think of an employer who can protect the wages of its workers with no effort and chooses not to?

Teachers are babysitters nowadays. Coming from the California education system, most teachers would get so fed up and so frustrated they would say "fine you don't wanna learn, then I won't teach", and would sit down and ignore us. K-12 education is a disgrace. College is what teaches most people as there aren't so many rules and ethics to abide by. The U.S education system needs people who are proven effective, not babysitters.

Complaining about $1.50? Really. The people who will be receiving this money work for tips only. Is there anyone on here who makes the same amount of money they made ten years ago? Probably not.

again, an incorrect post.

the new breakdown includes tipping non service people who are full salaried employees. as duckie calculated, 2/3 rds of the increase will go to raises for people that you have no contact with. that's 2/3rds of $700,000 weekly they will distribute to these individuals.

kinda like the tip jar you see at dunkin donuts and the pizza shop.

you tip people that get a full wage?

OK folks, 130 posts and only 3 people see the point, who is really going to get what.

In the beginning, at the end of the cruise, you went to the purser’s desk and asked for envelopes. Into these you stuffed cash, either according to a suggested rate or modified depending on the level of service received. Generally included in this were your cabin steward, waiter, busboy and (in the suggestions) the head waiter. As dinner was the main consumption of labor, the wait staff also worked the buffet and burger stand. At least then the dinning room was open every day for lunch.

Why was the prepay initiated in the first place? I can think of a few reasons from past conversations with crew, some fair and some cynical.

Any way, from the original tipping look at who was included in the group now listed as the "old tipping levels". Now look at who is included in the new ones, it’s even bigger.

The 15% is just a red herring , they’re getting us to pay part of the salary of an even greater number of the crew. Just as a number of posters have mentioned, the front line wait staff and stewards lost with the introduction of automatic tipping, this time too, you contentedly think in your mind that you are helping them but they will see almost none of it.

As I have read all of the posts above, many unresolved discussions that have been brought up in the past come to mind. However, no one has ever come up with a relatively fair way to compensate crew such that they are each encouraged to provide good service to those of us that they directly interact with. I believe that this new policy is neither the answer nor a fair step towards it.

JustMe

However, no one has ever come up with a relatively fair way to compensate crew such that they are each encouraged to provide good service to those of us that they directly interact with.

JustMe

It's not up to us to come up with anything.

It's not our business. (in BOTH definitions of the word)

If the average cruise price is $100 per day, $11.50 for tips is only 11.5%. We tip around 20% in a restaurant or for our hairdresser, so I don't see how anyone can complain about tipping 11.5%.

With this logic, I suppose the airlines should charge you 11.5% on top of the fare to supplement their employee's wages to get you to the port. I am sure many people in that sector hasnt seen a raise in recent history.

Perhaps everyone who thinks Carnival takes advantage of their employees by paying them so low (by North American standards) of a wage might want to consider spending your money elsewhere... reducing Carnival's bottom line is the only way to have them pay a decent wage to their employees... Would you purchase shoes from Nike and defend the company if you knew they were paying the workers $1.50 per day in China (not that they do, just an example) to manufacture said shoes or would you simply send a cheque to someone in need to make yourself feel better.

I will remove my auto tips and tip who I want and how much I want. I generally spend more money than the suggested for tips in the end, so this is not coming from trying to save a few bucks.. Automatic gratutities are simply an ignorant policy.

That's my rant.

But including it in th fare prevents that from EVER happening again.

So what would you think of an employer who does not protect the wages of their workers?

Or

What do you think of an employer who can protect the wages of its workers with no effort and chooses not to?

I call them a service business... Restaurants can protect the wages of their employees and choose to pay their servers a base rate plus tips. Their is no protection that customers will come and tip. So, Carnival is actually protecting the wages of their employees by adding tipping on. They are making an effort to make sure their employees are paid.

All Carnival has to do is change the name and call it a service charge. If you feel your service was better, you can tip extra on top.

OK folks, 130 posts and only 3 people see the point, who is really going to get what.

In the beginning, at the end of the cruise, you went to the purser’s desk and asked for envelopes. Into these you stuffed cash, either according to a suggested rate or modified depending on the level of service received. Generally included in this were your cabin steward, waiter, busboy and (in the suggestions) the head waiter. As dinner was the main consumption of labor, the wait staff also worked the buffet and burger stand. At least then the dinning room was open every day for lunch.

Why was the prepay initiated in the first place? I can think of a few reasons from past conversations with crew, some fair and some cynical.

Any way, from the original tipping look at who was included in the group now listed as the "old tipping levels". Now look at who is included in the new ones, it’s even bigger.

The 15% is just a red herring , they’re getting us to pay part of the salary of an even greater number of the crew. Just as a number of posters have mentioned, the front line wait staff and stewards lost with the introduction of automatic tipping, this time too, you contentedly think in your mind that you are helping them but they will see almost none of it.

As I have read all of the posts above, many unresolved discussions that have been brought up in the past come to mind. However, no one has ever come up with a relatively fair way to compensate crew such that they are each encouraged to provide good service to those of us that they directly interact with. I believe that this new policy is neither the answer nor a fair step towards it.

JustMe

My point is: I don't care. Do whatever you want with my 1.50. Make change at a local port and take 150 pennies, give them to kids in kids camp, and have them throw said pennies at seagulls that land on the railings so we can cut down on the cost of seagull poop clean up. I don't care.

if you have the $$$ to cruise then the little extra for the tip shouldn't hurt. I don't hear anyone complain if food prices or gas prices going up in a bad economy or why should you complain if someone earns a extra 1.50 per day and that is split up. I always tip more than the $10 per day per person providing we receive good service.

Mike

Please. If you are an american, middle class, who is able to take a cruise you ARE the 1%!!!!!! Stop watching the evening news.

for real making a statment like that? I'm sure the 1% does not cruise on Carnival:) in fact I don't think they cruise on any cruise line except their own yachts or mini ships

if you have the $$$ to cruise then the little extra for the tip shouldn't hurt. I don't hear anyone complain if food prices or gas prices going up in a bad economy or why should you complain if someone earns a extra 1.50 per day and that is split up. I always tip more than the $10 per day per person providing we receive good service.

Mike

It's the principle, not the amount.

And I hear people comlaining about the price of fuel and food (and clothes and electronics and everything else) all the time.

Teachers are babysitters nowadays. Coming from the California education system, most teachers would get so fed up and so frustrated they would say "fine you don't wanna learn, then I won't teach", and would sit down and ignore us. K-12 education is a disgrace. College is what teaches most people as there aren't so many rules and ethics to abide by. The U.S education system needs people who are proven effective, not babysitters.

My DD is a Freshman in a Geometry class, DS is a Senior in a AP Calculus class. They both have the same teacher. She is trying an "experimental" teaching technique with both of their classes where the kids "teach" themselves the lessons through reading the chapters on their own and using some on-line resources and she is available in class to answer any questions for them. She does nothing but answer any individual questions that kids may dare to ask her. My kids are advanced in math and have never had problems learning the subjects taught...they both hate this "experimental" method and claim the teacher is now doing absolutely nothing in the class to teach them the subjects they are there to learn. If this is the way of the future then I'm all for a paycut for teachers that do nothing but babysit a classroom.

My DD is a Freshman in a Geometry class, DS is a Senior in a AP Calculus class. They both have the same teacher. She is trying an "experimental" teaching technique with both of their classes where the kids "teach" themselves the lessons through reading the chapters on their own and using some on-line resources and she is available in class to answer any questions for them. She does nothing but answer any individual questions that kids may dare to ask her. My kids are advanced in math and have never had problems learning the subjects taught...they both hate this "experimental" method and claim the teacher is now doing absolutely nothing in the class to teach them the subjects they are there to learn. If this is the way of the future then I'm all for a paycut for teachers that do nothing but babysit a classroom.

does the principal agree with this method? The Board of Ed? seriously...take this further up the ladder....this teacher is on a work slowdown..plain and simple....she is..because I have seen this happen...in private schools as well......po'd teachers create their own individual strikes.....

heck...when I taught junior college...I would give all the classes tests on Fridays...so I could relax....because I taught like a banshee for 4 days..drilling it in to them..reviewing..discussing....explaining...just plain working very very hard....so I loved the relaxation of the class periods on Friday...of course I had to grade the tests all weekend....

for real making a statment like that? I'm sure the 1% does not cruise on Carnival:) in fact I don't think they cruise on any cruise line except their own yachts or mini ships

Ok....take 7 billion and divide by 100. That's 70 million people. Are you one of them? Chances are you might be.....

ohhh everyone the same... hmm sounds like communism :)

I agree with what you are saying. If you can afford to cruise you need to get over "this economy " because you are making more that 99.5 % of the world.

cheers

yes...we are on a slippery slope.....the shame is the "sheeple" are drinking the "Kool Aid" as they say and do not even notice what has been happening around them...

For real

If you make 35 k a year you are in the top 1 % in the world economy

Google it

Please. If you are an american, middle class, who is able to take a cruise you ARE the 1%!!!!!! Stop watching the evening news.

Perhaps true for the "world" but definitely NOT true for America - at 35K, you're not even in the top 50%.

Suggest you start watching the evening news.... ;)

Archived