How do they do it?

All4fun&fun4all

How is it that the staff on cruise ships remember our names so fast? Is there some sort of a teaching method that cruise ship employers use? Just a curiosity question on this lovely Tuesday afternoon. I can't imagine having to learn new names and faces every week. That hurts my brain just thinking about it. :o

I have even heard of some cruisers remembered by the same people a year later. Wow! Just...wow.

I think it's pretty cool too. I'm sure there's some trick they learn.

We went on the Destiny last year and had a wonderful room steward. We loved her. Instead of Mr. Tim and Miss Tami, she called us T&T.

A month later we came back on the Destiny and we booked her floor, but she wasn't assigned to our room so we didn't see her. On the second day, we were walking down the hall and she was at the other end. She hollered, "T&T, you come back to see me!!!" I was impressed.:D

We had anytime dining and ate in the MDR the first night. The next day at breakfast in the buffet we hear someone saying, Hi and all of our names. I don't know how they do it so quickly when they meet how many people in a span of several hours!!! I was actually amazed - my memory is so bad that I'm sure I would not have recognized her, let alone remember her name, if she had not spoken first.

We had a wonderful head waitress on our Dream Cruise, Ramona...

them on the Spirit to Alaska, We saw her waiting another table

She saw us and came over to say hi, She remembered our names too.

Crazy...I have worked in the same country market for 12+ years

and there are people I only know by face, never can remember their names.

I wish I knew how they do it.

You remember those that are memorable. I know the dining room and room stewards have their lists, but when the bartenders remember my name (or what you drink) from cruise to cruise that is what is impressive to me.

Check out Honky Dory over on HAL, he's amazing.

It must be part of the job. I used to be excellant at remembering names and faces. It's could also situational. Would they recognize you off the ship after the cruise?

i dont know if the staff has access it, but remember the ship has a picture of your mugshot. If a crew member wants to, im pretty sure they can access the computer system and get your info there and study your facial features

I was on an excursion with David and Ivan in Costa Maya and the lady (whose name I don't recall!) went around the bus and asked everyone's name and where they were from. In 5 minutes she called everyone by their name! About 25 people.

Wow. Now that's something. 25 people? That's impressive.

Love hearing the stories.

I imagine its a word association thing. I can do this from time to time with folks I need to remember but am baffled by the volume of folks week to week.

I'm a high school teacher. I know all 100+ of my students' names within 2 weeks of class. Having said that, on my first cruise this summer, when our waiter knew our names the very next evening, I was amazed. Don't know how they do it, but I'm impressed just the same!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cruised with our 3 year old granddaughter this past February on the Dream and our waitstaff made sure to call her by name every evening. They saw her around the ship several times and would always call her by name. They definitely earned brownie points with us by making this effort for a 3 yr old.

Years ago when I worked for Doubletree Hotels, we all had to take classes on how to remember names. So, yes, there are tricks and techniques that they use...I am sure the cruise lines have the same types of training programs that the hotel chains use.

Years ago when I worked for Doubletree Hotels, we all had to take classes on how to remember names. So, yes, there are tricks and techniques that they use...I am sure the cruise lines have the same types of training programs that the hotel chains use.

What is it? ;) :) I am terrible at remember names!

But it sure does make you feel "special" when they remember your name :D

How is it that the staff on cruise ships remember our names so fast? Is there some sort of a teaching method that cruise ship employers use? Just a curiosity question on this lovely Tuesday afternoon. I can't imagine having to learn new names and faces every week. That hurts my brain just thinking about it. :o

I have even heard of some cruisers remembered by the same people a year later. Wow! Just...wow.

We had a Princess cruise to the British Isles this summer, and I asked our steward how he did it. He said, he just pictures a character in his head and where he is. In my case, the British Isles, so I was Sir Bob. My wife, was Lady Alice. I asked him the names of the people across the hall...he sheepishly said..... Lord Larry and Princess Ann. Of course, when you have 15 to 18 cabins....even that is impressive. :-)

We were once on the Paradise going down the stairs on the 1st day to our cabin when a waiter stops us and starts talking to us like we were long lost friends. It turned out he was our waiter on a cruise a few months before. We were amazed that he remembered us.

In the dinning room the workers see the computer and know who is sitting where. Your waiter may come to the table and call you by name the first time he sees you. They know it adds so much of personal service.

Last year we took an employee of ours and his family on a cruise and the drink waiter remembered our employees card number! We all only had maybe two drinks each per day so it wasn't like we were drunks! Our employee even commented that every time they ran across that waiter he called them by name. It really is impressive!

Who's Honky Dory?

Honky Dory (spelling is wrong I think) is an HAL waiter who probably learned 100s of names within a day or 2. He would ask your name in the buffet and then remember it for the rest of the cruise.

What did they teach you? I find this subject fascinating and would love to use it in my everyday life. I am HORRIBLE with names.

Archived