So is the new tipping rate screwing the crew over now?

Where did the info on tipping everyone including entertainment staff come from? Thought it was just for alternative dining.

from the new breakdown.

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

I agree there isn't any reason to whine about the overall increase, but I do find the new breakdown kind of interesting. I've never monkeyed with the auto tips, but I might have to do so on my next cruise. It does bother me that it looks like despite an increase in tips, the amount that goes to the dining room waiter and assistant isn't going to increase by much, and neither will the tips for the room steward.

I always thought auto tipping was convenient and took the hassle out of things for me, but to be honest, I'd prefer the tip money went to the folks that do something directly for me.

It is $1.50 per day.

To be succinct and within CC guidelines:

• I don't give a poop
  • It is $1.50 per day. I can afford it, if I couldn't I would not be traveling for vacations.
  • I honestly don't give a poop who gets it. Auto tips are easy and are put in place for a reason. To make vacations easy. I don't want to throw 15 envelopes in my suitcase and chase I Made around the Taste of Nations on the last day so I can reward him handsomely with $5 for taking my dirty lunch dishes away.
  • If the system didn't work, cruise ships would not have staff working on them.

Take a pill, relax and let people much smarter than you make good decisions that ensure your future quality vacation.

If it is that big of a deal to you, book a different vacation.

Thank you - couldn't have said it better myself!

it is $1.50 per day.

To be succinct and within cc guidelines:

• i don't give a poop
  • it is $1.50 per day. I can afford it, if i couldn't i would not be traveling for vacations.
  • i honestly don't give a poop who gets it. Auto tips are easy and are put in place for a reason. To make vacations easy. I don't want to throw 15 envelopes in my suitcase and chase i made around the taste of nations on the last day so i can reward him handsomely with $5 for taking my dirty lunch dishes away.
  • if the system didn't work, cruise ships would not have staff working on them.

Take a pill, relax and let people much smarter than you make good decisions that ensure your future quality vacation.

bra-vo!

It is $1.50 per day.

• I don't give a poop
  • It is $1.50 per day. I can afford it, if I couldn't I would not be traveling for vacations.
  • I honestly don't give a poop who gets it. Auto tips are easy and are put in place for a reason. To make vacations easy. I don't want to throw 15 envelopes in my suitcase and chase I Made around the Taste of Nations on the last day so I can reward him handsomely with $5 for taking my dirty lunch dishes away.

I haven't seen anyone on this particular thread complaining about paying it. This is the thread that is questioning who is receiving tips now. Did you get confused and post in the wrong thread? If it is that big a deal you, perhaps you need a nap?;)

I haven't seen anyone on this particular thread complaining about paying it. This is the thread that is questioning who is receiving tips now. Did you get confused and post in the wrong thread? If it is that big a deal you, perhaps you need a nap?;)

You may want to reread his/her post again (hint: #3)

It is $1.50 per day.

• I don't give a poop

AMEN:cool:

There will be boxes in all staterooms. When ship slows to a crawl, please deposit dollar bills and ship will return to normal cruising speed. True pay as you go.:o

ROFL at this one. When this becomes a reality, I hang up my cruising shoes for good.

It is $1.50 per day.

• I don't give a poop

Best. Post. Ever.

I feel a 1.50 per day increase to those that make our cruise so special is more then fair. This is first increase since 2001. Seems more then fair expecially compared to the demands of our Unions and Congress when it comes to pay increases.:)

Best. Post. Ever.

Can you help me out by explaining why you think that post was the Best. Post. Ever.?

Basically to me it is saying if Carnival wants me to pay more that is ok with me and I don't care how they pass the extra money they are taking out around.

The people we all seem to love the most, the cabin stewards, dining room teams, are getting pennies from that $1.50 extra per person per day, while they have added IMHO questionable extra people in the mix that will be getting the bulk of that extra money.

I will be removing that extra $1.50 per day until it is explained to me what the actual breakdown will be, because while I can afford it, I do not go down the street throwing money out.

It is not the amount of money, it is who are these extra people that will now be sharing in the tip pool. Why are we suddenly needing to tip people outside the ones we are used to tipping.

I am all for auto tip. It helps me out, but I do like to know who will be getting it in the end.

Personally I wish Carnival gave more control over the way the tips were distributed, maybe an account that the customers could log into onboard the ships where they could raise or lower the distribution percentages, add or subtract total amount, etc. If they really want these ships to be a cashless economy there needs to be a way to reward those crew members that went out of their way to make the trip enjoyable, not just a pool of tips to be divided on their schedule. This may include entertainers like the piano player in the piano bar, or behind the scenes people like a ships electrician that went out of his way handle fixing a problem in a cabin in a way that least disrupted the guests. (this last one based on my experience on Conquest with a lamp that would not turn off).

Ike

Entertainment staff doesn't just go for performers, they are anyone who interacts with the guests. Maybe you're the kind of cruiser who just vegatates in the cabin or by the pool, but don't put them down. I enjoy the games & contests they run & think they deserve being added to the staff tips.

Well I'm not tipping the entertainment staff ! That is their job and they are well paid. Just think what J Heald must make.

I'm trmoving my tips for our Dec cruise and going back to tipping with envelopes the old fashioned way.

Can you help me out by explaining why you think that post was the Best. Post. Ever.?

Basically to me it is saying if Carnival wants me to pay more that is ok with me and I don't care how they pass the extra money they are taking out around.

The people we all seem to love the most, the cabin stewards, dining room teams, are getting pennies from that $1.50 extra per person per day, while they have added IMHO questionable extra people in the mix that will be getting the bulk of that extra money.

I will be removing that extra $1.50 per day until it is explained to me what the actual breakdown will be, because while I can afford it, I do not go down the street throwing money out.

It is not the amount of money, it is who are these extra people that will now be sharing in the tip pool. Why are we suddenly needing to tip people outside the ones we are used to tipping.

I am all for auto tip. It helps me out, but I do like to know who will be getting it in the end.

my turn to type LIKE!

when carnival "imposed" that first dollar on top of tips, it basically went unnoticed, but occasionally people fefend it stating the "hard work of the lido staff"

um, those lido staff service people are already being tipped through normal mdr tipping, as they are, in fact, the same people.

i came to the conclusion that my $4 a day was actually augmenting the salaries of people already drawing a full salary up there.

fool me once.

now they are doubling that, and stating the $2 is covering entertainment, guest services, and even hotel staff. again, these are full salaried employees. and this $2 will quickly become $5.

when bank of america announced a $5 debit card fee, i didn't read "they deserve it. it's only $5.

i read an enormous backlash, leading to the reversal of the charge.

signed,

not a lemming.

I dont mind the tips going up, but why are we tipping entertainment !!!!!

Think I will start removing our tips and hand out envelopes the old fasioned way to those that DESERVE it.

Agreed. Entertainment, hotel staff and guest services are salaried positions. I am all for increase tips to wait staff and room steward but the main part of it is going to someplace that should be salaried.

2/3 of the increase tip is going somewhere that I do not agree with. Thinking that I will go to guest services and reappropriate the suggested tip.

Archived