So is the new tipping rate screwing the crew over now?

Think I will start removing our tips and hand out envelopes the old fasioned way to those that DESERVE it.

This is what I have done on every cruise I have been on with the exception of NCL.....and after the cruise with NCL was told that I could have demanded they be taken off and did the same way (when I first asked that the service fee be taken off, was told it couldn't be adjusted......it worked out in the end since we were on sea for an extra 2 days and nights because of TS Lee....room stewart was given extra.)

So the old autotip included $1 for asst. waiter and cooks, now its $2 to the Kitchen,entertainment,guest services,and other hotel staff and John Heald?:confused: (Ok, I threw that last one in:D)

So now the asst. waiter is out,the dancers are in,the Pursers are in,and who is the other hotel staff??

The move also represents a change in how Carnival distributes tips to crew. The old tipping levels were broken down as follows (per day): $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks and $3.50 to the cabin steward. The new guidelines allocate $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services, which include kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. "The increase in the recommended gratuities amount will result in increased compensation for impacted crew

No, you are incorrect.

The waiter, assistant waiter have always SHARED the wait staff tips.

Well I'm not tipping the entertainment staff ! That is their job and they are well paid. Just think what J Heald must make.

I'm trmoving my tips for our Dec cruise and going back to tipping with envelopes the old fashioned way.

Entertainment staff will not be getting tips. This change in terminology is only put in place to cover any future SERVICE individuals that may not fall into other classifications.

NO SALARIES individuals will be receiving a portion of these tips.

Now Camp Carnival Counselors are paid a full salary and they do get tipped but it is specifically noted at the time of the transaction (after hours babysitting) just like the tips are specifically noted when you buy a drink.

There is no way you will find every individual that has EARNED that tip and these will be hard working individuals (like in the Lido kitchen) will be missed....

I guess THEY don't deserve a tip????

Entertainment staff will not be getting tips. This change in terminology is only put in place to cover any future SERVICE individuals that may not fall into other classifications.

Now Camp Carnival Counselors are paid a full salary and they do get tipped but it is specifically noted at the time of the transaction (after hours babysitting) just like the tips are specifically noted when you buy a drink.

There is no way you will find every individual that has EARNED that tip and these will be hard working individuals (like in the Lido kitchen) will be missed....

well that's what it says in black/white I guess you are reading between the lines.

No, you are incorrect.

The waiter, assistant waiter have always SHARED the wait staff tips.

Its not me who is incorrect, its CC who supplied the breakdown and if you will note the highlighted sections you will see what I see.......

The move also represents a change in how Carnival distributes tips to crew. The old tipping levels were broken down as follows (per day): $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks and $3.50 to the cabin steward. The new guidelines allocate $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services, which include kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. "The increase in the recommended gratuities amount will result in increased compensation for impacted crew

Sowe have bben lied to the whole time? We were always told it was the waiter and asst. now it was the Head waiter.:eek:

Agreed. Entertainment, hotel staff and guest services are salaried positions. I am all for increase tips to wait staff and room steward but the main part of it is going to someplace that should be salaried.

2/3 of the increase tip is going somewhere that I do not agree with. Thinking that I will go to guest services and reappropriate the suggested tip.

agreed + 2.

this move will have me removing all auto tips and distributing cash accordingly.

i will not be tipping people that draw full salaries, and are not serving me.

i think you should stop boasting about your detailed cruise history, and start reading what is published in black and white.

Maybe it is time for some to start taking land vacations..:rolleyes:

Resorts all have service charges and some have multiple (Atlantis has 3 different charges), Some also have tipping guidelines.

The rates are not cheaper than Carnival.

I have cruised on Carnival for less than $60 per day - motels cost more.

Other cruiselines have higher "tip" amounts.

Do passengers get the entertainment tip since we do the Legends show and are contestants in other shows?

Yes,a small percentage because it is split with behind the scenes people.Those behind the scene people probably include those who checked you in at the start of your cruise and even the guy who drove the truck with the 5000 frozen lobster tails.:)

Behind the scenes...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Give me a break.Tell me exactly who is behind the scenes.

Yes,a small percentage because it is split with behind the scenes people.Those behind the scene people probably include those who checked you in at the start of your cruise and even the guy who drove the truck with the 5000 frozen lobster tails.:)

Behind the scenes...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Give me a break.Tell me exactly who is behind the scenes.

You expect that?

These are the people who will not tell us how much of the $ 30 service charge in steak house goes to the server.

The amounts still go to the same people it has for years. It is just a small amount more. I know that there will be a lot of cheap people who will take their tips off of their s & s accounts. I don’t understand if they have a “problem” in the main dining room they remove all tips. This will include the cabin steward. That doesn’t make sense. The cheap passengers should have one or two days to remove the tips. After that they would not be able to removed. That way the staff will be able to know who is cheap and going to stiff them on the tips. As Forest Gump said “cheap is as cheap does”.

The amounts still go to the same people it has for years. It is just a small amount more.

Actually this is a major change.

Wait staff and stewards get a very small increase and suddenly you are tipping the people at guest services and the entertainers.

Why should they suddenly be a tipped position?

Exactly what I was thinking Stu. I am all for giving more to the wait staff/kitchen/lido deck service/room stewards. I was actually thrilled the $1 was going to $2 for the buffet servers, etc.

....but the entertainment staff? Really?

Exactly what I was thinking Stu. I am all for giving more to the wait staff/kitchen/lido deck service/room stewards. I was actually thrilled the $1 was going to $2 for the buffet servers, etc.

even the buffet servers are usually the same guys who work in the mdr, and you tip them already as well.

....but the entertainment staff? Really?

Entertainment staff really keep in touch with passengers on a regular basis. They run the games, host Bingo, & generally roam the decks with a happy "hi" for everyone. Unless you're a recluse, you'll see them all the time. I know I do.

They are not just the entertainers on stage or in the lounges.

Entertainment staff really keep in touch with passengers on a regular basis. They run the games, host Bingo, & generally roam the decks with a happy "hi" for everyone. Unless you're a recluse, you'll see them all the time. I know I do.

and that is what they are hired and fully paid to do.

The Entertainment Staff is generally from the US or Europe, and they are salaried, paid on par with US and European standards. They are paid a good deal more than the waiters and kitchen staff who have to depend on our tips for the biggest portion of their pay.

H82SeaUGo - Please read my first post on this thread. It explains my logic.

I agree to some extent. I have no issue with the increase in cost as to the daily amount. Its fine. Its the distribution that has me wondering. If you want to call it a service charge imposed by the cruiseline then fine, whatever, distribute it to whomever and I do not care. But when they say its automatically added for my convenience (as if I have a choice) and then for my convenience its split among these people who I really do not know who they are and don't know that I would tip them (because they are being so vague about it), it kind of annoys me. They are not really doing it for my convenience if its not something I would do myself. Just be real about it. Now, I won't mess with my autotips, I will leave them in place, in the amounts stated and at whatever distribution concoction carnival comes up with, because that is the right thing to do as far as I am concerned. But I can see where this might fuel the fire of some people who are already on the edge about the auto tip to totally remove them and start tipping in cash. Then that will likely result in someone getting screwed out of tips (intentionally or unintentionally) and its not fair to them.

Can you help me out by explaining why you think that post was the Best. Post. Ever.?

Basically to me it is saying if Carnival wants me to pay more that is ok with me and I don't care how they pass the extra money they are taking out around.

The people we all seem to love the most, the cabin stewards, dining room teams, are getting pennies from that $1.50 extra per person per day, while they have added IMHO questionable extra people in the mix that will be getting the bulk of that extra money.

I will be removing that extra $1.50 per day until it is explained to me what the actual breakdown will be, because while I can afford it, I do not go down the street throwing money out.

It is not the amount of money, it is who are these extra people that will now be sharing in the tip pool. Why are we suddenly needing to tip people outside the ones we are used to tipping.

I am all for auto tip. It helps me out, but I do like to know who will be getting it in the end.

If the employees are Ok with what and how they are paid, who are you to get all irate over your perception?...NO ONE here has any facts/numbers on who gets paid what. You're all just jumping to conclusions and I wager the staff (if they read through all this crap) would wonder what the hell was wrong with everyone.

Do you want people second guessing your salary...assuming you're being screwed over and thus implying you are an idiot for taking such crap, when no one has any idea of your salary?????

This is such a crock.

You expect that?

These are the people who will not tell us how much of the $ 30 service charge in steak house goes to the server.

why should they???

FTLOG! It's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS!

Best. Post. Ever.

If the employees are Ok with what and how they are paid, who are you to get all irate over your perception?...NO ONE here has any facts/numbers on who gets paid what. You're all just jumping to conclusions and I wager the staff (if they read through all this crap) would wonder what the hell was wrong with everyone.

Do you want people second guessing your salary...assuming you're being screwed over and thus implying you are an idiot for taking such crap, when no one has any idea of your salary?????

This is such a crock.

why should they???

Actually, it IS our business.

This is such a crock.

why should they???

Well you've ruined me for the rest of the day because I'll be trying to figure out what that is:)

why should they???

First of all what does FTLOG? Is it a Maine thing?icon7.gif

Second part of the service charge for the steakhouse is a tip and than they encourage us to tip additionally. How do we have any idea if an additional tip is warranted if we have no idea what we are tipping in the first place?

Archived