Changing Captains - just curious

uktog

There has been a bit of movement with the various excellent Captains over the last few months including Captain Johannes switching vessel for a short time.

I am curious, on the basis that the two Azamara ships are identical, what actually happens on handover? Is it a one hour or one day overlap and are there formal agendas to be followed or documents to be signed to give the Master authorities or not.

Presume the infamous Captains Log will have something put in it etc

(Sad I am getting to this level of curiousity I know!)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Quest in mid-October. At the time we had a Cpt from the Isle of Mann. He was quite chatty, but after a bit we rather enjoyed his long announcements. As to his prowess as a seafarer, I'd have to say he was good enough. We didn't hit anything (that I was aware of), and I only got wet in the shower or the hot tub.

Just curious about why so many folk (you are not the first) take such an interest in captains. I did the captain gig (in different equipment) for 20+ years, and always felt I was somewhat sequestered. What is it about cruise ship captains that draws such coverage? I mean, you have to have one, but he's an operations guy/gal (which brings up the question of whether there are any cruise captain(ettes)). I never thought of that before.

Anyway, I don't get the whole captain thing from a passenger standpoint. What are passengers looking for in that position?

Hi Corbeck....

Perhaps I can answer your question..

I've been cruising since I was a small child for about 40 years and have been on rinky dinky ships all the way up to BIG ones.

You will find on the smaller ships such as AZ, Oceania, and the little baby Princess' that the Captains interact more with the guests than you would ever experience on even a somewhat small 1700 passenger ship.

Many Captains on the smaller ships like to sieze the oppportunity to do "special" things throughout the itinerary.

Captain Johnanes has been know to lead hikes up the hill in Montenegro, (just did one a couple of days ago) and stop for special food orders from VERY local purveyors.

Captain Jason was able to finagle us staying in Istanbul longer to watch the fireworks over the Bosphorous for the Republic Day celebration in 2010

When I was on the Pacific Princess Captain Lupo bought fresh fish from the fishermen in Tahiti and positioned the ship to have an advantage to watch the Havaiki Nui.

Captains on the small ships like AZ, will do 1 or MANY Captains Hosted Dinners depending on how outgoing they are and those are a nice treat

When you are a repeat cruiser especially on smaller ships, you actually can develop a relationship with the Captain, the Maitre D, and Hotel Director. When that is the case, it just makes your experience onboard a little bit more special. While everyone is treated special...you do receive a few extra little "experiences" at least that has occured many times for me.

I've never decided what cruise I'm going to take based on crew. The bottom line is I'm there for the itinerary and spending QUALITY time with my travel partner (my mom or husband)

I've also been on several cruises where I had the Captain change in the middle of my itinerary. One instance on a 20 day cruise I had 3 Captains, because of vacation schedules and then a family emergency, where the Staff Captain moved into the Captains position for a day and then another Captain was flown in. (This wasn't on Azamara)

So, you should never count on the same Captain being there, even if they are scheduled to be.

Hope this helps...

Karen

Yes captains set the tone of the ship. That said in the case of Azamara, all the captains are setting a first class tone so it is not really an issue of who does what (by the way I think Captain Johannes is not the hiker, that is Captain Carl)

My original curiousity is not about who the captain is but how the handover happens and what has to be done. I expect it is not like the bus drivers who just leave their buses standing (with passengers) until the next shift turn up at the stop but I might be wrong.

Yes captains set the tone of the ship. That said in the case of Azamara, all the captains are setting a first class tone so it is not really an issue of who does what (by the way I think Captain Johannes is not the hiker, that is Captain Carl)

hmmm isn't Captain Johanes on the QUEST right now? They were in Montenegro a couple of days ago and I have a picture of him that a friend onboard posted on her FB page after they had done the hike.

I could be wrong.. if Captain Carl is wearing a baseball cap does he look like Captain Johannes????

Captain Carl is on vacation.

Sorry my point did not come over clearly: Captain Carl is the one who started the idea of hikes in an area he knew well, Captain Johannes is the fisherman and cheese purchaser par excellence, however he has as others correctly point out, moved over to Quest for a short period and it seems he has continued the traditions others had set for that part of the world

I think it was semi planned though Phil as he knew he was doing a 5 week stint ahead of it happening. Could be a paternity leave issue or whatever, anyway see if they will give you the keys and if you think it is needed, just hop into the driver seat anyway, we've never had a live from the ships pokey thread before so that would break the monotony of reading about the same menus over and over again :)

Ann, if I get a chance I'll ask if they just hand the keys over.:) I have a feeling I read that Captain Johannes interrupted his holiday because of a medical issue with another Captain and that is why he is on Quest at the moment. Might be dreaming that though. :o

Phil

Yes, the other captain had surgery and Captain Johannes interrupted his vacation as he was needed.

anyway see if they will give you the keys and if you think it is needed, just hop into the driver seat anyway, we've never had a live from the ships pokey thread before so that would break the monotony of reading about the same menus over and over again :)

No problem. I believe the food down there is not much to write home about anyway;)

Phil

We did the Quest in mid-October. At the time we had a Cpt from the Isle of Mann. He was quite chatty, but after a bit we rather enjoyed his long announcements.

That's Captain Carl Smith. I agree that his announcements are great and often funny. But then after the earthquake in Japan, he did a fantastic job of rearranging our schedule staying up to all hours to do so and yet keeping us all informed.

That's Captain Carl Smith. I agree that his announcements are great and often funny. But then after the earthquake in Japan, he did a fantastic job of rearranging our schedule staying up to all hours to do so and yet keeping us all informed.

This seems to be something they do really well as I have read it elsewhere. Of course it can't always work out, but on Journey in September the weather was going to turn nasty the day following boarding and prevent us tendering in Portofino so Captain Johannes kept us in Nice an extra day, then headed to Corsica and docked the ship rather than tendering (we were the largest vessel ever to dock in Calvi) and then went to Portofino two days late and in glorious sunshine. I know the officers were in a huddle the day we boarded trying to work out the itinerary and they did good!

Phil

Yes, the other captain had surgery and Captain Johannes interrupted his vacation as he was needed.

And this is yet another example of Captain Tysse's dedication to Azamara. He clearly went above and beyond once again.

And this is yet another example of Captain Tysse's dedication to Azamara. He clearly went above and beyond once again.

no wonder i could not find him walking thru his American hometown.. i will miss him in dec. looking forward to July and sailing with him again. .mosre fresh cheese and fish for me.. nothing like a side trip to get cheese- or stopping dead in the water for fresh fish.

By the other Captain do you mean Captain Leif Karlsson ? A truly gentleman with fantastic sailing skills and a fabulous dry wit. If so I wish him well and hope to see him back on board "The Quest" in the next months in Asia.

As fellow members of the Captain Karlsson fan club, we too hope he is well, if indeed it was him who was ill.

We would love to know whether he will be sailing in Asia this summer: has anyone any news of Quest's top brass for this season's sailing?

Love the avatar,

Sue

Thanks Phil

I am sure they have a set agenda for things that is laid down by operating procedures when they meet. I saw he was at Athens airport already, he deserves his rest

And as for you, you will need a rest to plan this next trip :)

Ann

Archived