traveling with CPAP machine

GAJE

My boyfriend uses a CPAP, he also removes the humidifier part and just brings the other side. When we sailed HAL I let them know ahead of time and they had extention cords in the room for him. When I sailed Celebrity this year they had extention cord AND water at no charge. I thought that was interested. They gave him a 1 gallon jug (which he didn't need since he didn't bring that portion but they didn't know that at the time). I thought it was a nice touch that they included it (same type room we had on hal too, typical verandah)

The CPAP doesn't need to be shoved into your carryon because as others have said, it's a medical device. He's not had any issue carrying it on for any of our trips so far (all international flights).

I have a question for the CPAPers to piggyback if i may. I noticed his machine will start to make an uneven sound during the night, so much that it would keep me awake. When he'd start off in bed it would be fine and pretty silent but it got unbearable to me overnight at times. Does anyone here have experience with that happening with yours/your partners? If so, were you able to fix it and how? It seems related to the fit of the mask but my bf seems to have issues with every mask he's tried. His mask covers his mouth and nose. I had a few very sleepless nights from the noise because I have issues with falling asleep/staying asleep at time.

I forgot to mention that I had a lot of rain out on our Caribbean cruise when I was still using my CPAP. (I've lost 70 pounds and no longer have sleep apnea. Hurray!) If your cruise is to a humid climate, you might not need the humidifier at all.

My skinny husband has terrible sleep apnea (go figure). It sounds like your boyfriend's mask is leaking. My husband had a terrible time finding a mask that worked. He had to try six or seven before we found one that doesn't leak. I found cpaptalk.com to be a great resource. You should ask over there. They're very helpful.

Good luck!

Robin

I forgot to mention that I had a lot of rain out on our Caribbean cruise when I was still using my CPAP. (I've lost 70 pounds and no longer have sleep apnea. Hurray!) If your cruise is to a humid climate, you might not need the humidifier at all.

My skinny husband has terrible sleep apnea (go figure). It sounds like your boyfriend's mask is leaking. My husband had a terrible time finding a mask that worked. He had to try six or seven before we found one that doesn't leak. I found cpaptalk.com to be a great resource. You should ask over there. They're very helpful.

Good luck!

Robin

Yeah I don't think my bf will shrink out of it, he's really not overweight. He could lose maybe 10-20 but nothing substantial. He just doesn't really seem to be benefiting from wearing it. Not sure if it's the mask or just him or what. I'll have to check out that site because he won't. lol. Thanks.

Just returned from a European trip, plus cruise ship. I had no problem with the CPAP machine. I keep all the hoses/mask in plastic bags and they only check the machine as a rule. This year they did not swab any part of the machine they were more concerned with my hands that they swabed and passed us thru. We always get distilled water from the ship and never had been charged plus we get an extension cord. The outlets are usually at the other side of the cabin from where the bed is placed. (Depends on the cruise line). Since it is a medical device you are not charged with an extra carry on. No one ever questioned us on our flights. We had 3 flights on our way back to the US. I think they are now used to seeing these devices. Mine has always been stored in the overhead and never had been asked to have it put under the seat. One thing we found in Europe are that the prongs are different than what the US states they are for that country. We found especially in Italy hotels the coffee maker outlets are compatible with the prongs stated we can use. Check out more than one outlet in the room.

They are not the same. This time we were only in hotels in Italy before and after our cruises.

Interesting and timely information. My DH is "sleeping" overnight tonight at the hospital for a sleep study for sleep apnea....

Best of luck to him. For myself and many others it really has made a world of difference.

I got mine a little over a year ago and what a differemce in the way I feel almost right off the bat.

They actually did my sleep study in my house. The tech comes about 8pm and hooks you up with all the wires and sensors and what not, Then hooks up the camera and monitor (you have to have internet capability in your home to do it) and someone monitors you at their facility.

I had them set it up in my DDs old room so it didn't disturb DW.

They really do monitor you too. Around 2am I must have rolled over and the mask shifted and screwed up their reading and they called me and let me know to adjust it.

DH's CPAP machine is always taken apart and checked at security in the airport - once it was put through the x-ray machine 3 times.

do watch how they handle it - twice the staff at security placed it on the edge of a table and it nearly fell off - they don't realize how expensive those machines are.

Also one man had his machine stolen right off the table on the other side of the x-ray machines - sometimes they make it difficult to watch all your things while doing the wanding etc.

We used to order the distilled water but after reading here how many people just use the ship water we started to do that too - no problems at all.

On the plane we are allowed the CPAP as a medical device but the stewardess always tells us to put it at our feet once on the plane. Since we only take one small carry on that seems unreasonable - especially when we see so many people with huge carry-on cases - or one person with 2 carry-ons and a backpack.

Really good idea to put the machine in a large ziplock bag inside the regular bag.

I have only one time been asked to not put my CPAP in the overhead. I immediately pointed out that it was medical equipment that I was not comfortable putting by my feet (which was already occupied by my backpack) and that ended that. I try to make sure to stand the back up against the side of the bin, as opposed to the middle.

All of your suggestions are wonderful! As I have told others many times, these boards are a wealth of information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again to all of you who helped us figure out how to travel with the CPAP!

Betty

I have used a CPAP for over four years and travel, on average, 2 weeks out every month. Here is what I've experienced:

1. Airlines and TSA are aware of what CPAPs are and treat like a laptop computer (no more special testing as of April 2011);

2. They do NOT count against the carry-on limit and if the gate or flight attendant doesn't seem to know about that, asking for a more experienced airline representative fixes any hassles;

3. My CPAP came with a padded bag that houses it, humidifier, mask and power cord that has a label with a medical sounding name (you may want to check into seeing if you are entitled to that);

4. In a humid environment I don't need the humidifier;

5. I've been placing my CPAP in checked baggage lately and have not had any problems (over 40 flights now--I usually fly Southwest);

6. An extension cord is necessary on HAL cruises;

7. If you ever forget the power cord in a hotel (who would do that?) one end of a pc laptop power cord will suffice and Radio Shack sells perfectly effective replacements;

8. Tap water, at worst, leaves water spots on the plastic;

9. Noises in the middle of night are from the mask not setting well on the face (beard growth?) and adjusting the straps or applying lotion to the face before bed (makes a better seal) helps.

10. No #10, but Letterman makes me think I need to have one.

I have used a CPAP for over four years and travel, on average, 2 weeks out every month. Here is what I've experienced:

1. Airlines and TSA are aware of what CPAPs are and treat like a laptop computer (no more special testing as of April 2011);

2. They do NOT count against the carry-on limit and if the gate or flight attendant doesn't seem to know about that, asking for a more experienced airline representative fixes any hassles;

3. My CPAP came with a padded bag that houses it, humidifier, mask and power cord that has a label with a medical sounding name (you may want to check into seeing if you are entitled to that);

4. In a humid environment I don't need the humidifier;

5. I've been placing my CPAP in checked baggage lately and have not had any problems (over 40 flights now--I usually fly Southwest);

6. An extension cord is necessary on HAL cruises;

7. If you ever forget the power cord in a hotel (who would do that?) one end of a pc laptop power cord will suffice and Radio Shack sells perfectly effective replacements;

8. Tap water, at worst, leaves water spots on the plastic;

9. Noises in the middle of night are from the mask not setting well on the face (beard growth?) and adjusting the straps or applying lotion to the face before bed (makes a better seal) helps.

10. No #10, but Letterman makes me think I need to have one.

#1 I haven't flown with my husband since before April as we've been traveling separately, so I had no idea the rule had changed. He just told me they haven't swabbed it the last several times he's flown (including both directions last week). That's good!

#9 The lotion idea is GENIUS. I'm going to have my DH try that tonight. He starts off with a good seal, but it often gets leaky towards morning. Thankfully, his pressure is low so it's not too noisy, even when it leaks.

Robin

DH's CPAP machine is always taken apart and checked at security in the airport - once it was put through the x-ray machine 3 times.

do watch how they handle it - twice the staff at security placed it on the edge of a table and it nearly fell off - they don't realize how expensive those machines are.

Also one man had his machine stolen right off the table on the other side of the x-ray machines - sometimes they make it difficult to watch all your things while doing the wanding etc.

We used to order the distilled water but after reading here how many people just use the ship water we started to do that too - no problems at all.

On the plane we are allowed the CPAP as a medical device but the stewardess always tells us to put it at our feet once on the plane. Since we only take one small carry on that seems unreasonable - especially when we see so many people with huge carry-on cases - or one person with 2 carry-ons and a backpack.

Really good idea to put the machine in a large ziplock bag inside the regular bag.

My husband's CPAP is almost always taken for a thorough inspection by TSA so we allow extra time for that. His CPAP is his "personal item" and we've never had any problem with his being able to put it up with our carryon backpack.

Last year Port Authorities wanted to confiscate by 8 foot extension cord for my CPAP machine. After requesting higher level of authority 3 times - yes 3 times, I was finally allowed to board the EOS out of Cape Liberty, NJ

Never got an explanation what the problems was.

Have worn out 2 machines and would not consider checking my CPAP.

On Insulin Pump as well and always obtain letters from DR's regarding the carrying of CPAP, insulin, and back up syrines, as well as the various medications I take daily. At security, I politely explain what I am carry before I get to the x-ray screening. Other than last year, have had no problems for many cruises and flights!

I think the noise is caused from the mask slipping on your DH's face. (at least, that's the case with my husband's.) Does he sleep on his back or on his side ?? There are special pillows now to accommodate different sleeping positions. You may want to look into them. Also, his mask may need replacement. The outer seals tend to break down over time.

DH recently began using the CPAP machine and we will take our next cruise soon. How do you users carry it? DH already carries on his carryon and a camera/computer bag, neither of which will also accommodate his machine. Has anyone packed it in checked luggage? That seems risky! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Betty

I usually carry my cpap.Getting distilled water not a problem.I had

pre ordered,but was told to just phone room service.I have sometimes

packed my hose,and mask.Do not pack the workings of the machine.

Can be easily damaged.Have a great trip

Lotion huh? I'd think you'd get a worse seal as the plastic would slide no? Interesting. I'll have to tell him about it.

Lotion huh? I'd think you'd get a worse seal as the plastic would slide no? Interesting. I'll have to tell him about it.

I was told that my face should be very clean when using the facemask. Oils and lotions tend to break down the mask sooner.

I agree, it is counter-intuitive. And like the post below I was that the plastic could break down. Slipping only happens if I've pulled the tube taught. I avoid this by pulling the tube under the blanket with me to ensure there is enough slack even if I roll to a side.

What I have experienced is that my beard growth/moisture set up a condition for leakage during the night. Lotion, I use organic hippy-dippy stuff that is non-fragrance, actually helps keep a seal around the mask. I realize the CPAP police may bust me someday; but it is what I have found to be effective. A leaking mask will keep me awake, defeating the purpose of the CPAP--a good night's rest. It also disturbs SWMBO. :eek:

I've not had a problem with "breakdown". And my face is well moisturized.:D

• 3 months later...

Great reading. I just started sleeping with a cpap about a week ago. And as a flight attendant for 11 years, I had no idea they were exempt from the 2 carry ons, but I've never encountered one.

I know my machine ramps up at times when my breathing necessitates it. Has nothing to do with the fit of my mask, just my breathing needs and the machine figuring out that I need more pressure. Sometimes I wake up and it's too much. I found out that hitting the button resets it to a lower pressure again, and I can get back to sleep.

Those of you who have used your cpap machine on board know that the extension cord has to run across the room and tends to be a tripping hazard at night. This is a heads up for HAL if they read this board. On our recent first time Celebrity cruise my husband put out his cpap machine and extension cord next to the bed. When we came back in the evening our room steward had provided a ships extension cord plugged in at the desk, ran it behind the TV and duct taped it to the floor across to the bed so there was less chance of tripping. That's never happened on all of our previous cruises and I was impressed.

St. Louis Sal

• 2 weeks later...

16 years ago, on our 1st European trip with my Cpap, my partner plugged it in without the adapter & blew the fuse.Stan then had a McQuiver moment, (a little late) removed the fuse, stripped a baggie twist tie of it's paper & wrapped the wire around the fuse. That saved the trip, as well as his life ( I was going to kill him).

Does anyone have a battery power CPAP ? Would love to know if it can be used on a long haul flight. I don't care what I look like with the mask on, to finally have a restful flight would be worth it.

After traveling with my CPAP for several years I learned to pack my toiletries, some snacks and an extra change of clothes in my CPAP bag (the padded one provided by the manufacturer). I never check my CPAP so if I am stranded due to delays I have my CPAP, toiletries, snacks AND clean clothes :-)

Edited by NEMMRRC

DH recently began using the CPAP machine and we will take our next cruise soon. How do you users carry it? DH already carries on his carryon and a camera/computer bag, neither of which will also accommodate his machine. Has anyone packed it in checked luggage? That seems risky! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Betty

My husband's CPAP came in a padded bag and he uses that bag as his personal item on flights, in addition to his backpack carryon. If he didn't have that bag he'd put it inside his carryon backpack. We'd never put it in checked luggage.

And, the CPAP bag doesn't count as a carry-on, or a personal item. Read airline policies about medical devices. It is totally allowable to be carried on, even if you have a carry-on, and a personal item (purse). I know because I always carry all of this for my husband!

Does anyone have a battery power CPAP ? Would love to know if it can be used on a long haul flight. I don't care what I look like with the mask on, to finally have a restful flight would be worth it.

I've never heard of a battery-powered CPAP, but then, I've never had occasion to inquire about it, either.

I do know that on at least some long-haul flights there are seats with electric outlets. You need to make arrangements in advance to have one of those seats, and to use the CPAP, but it is possible.

I did not use the service on my Qantas flight from LAX to Auckland (overnight), nor on Singapore Air from Singapore to Newark (19 hours non-stop), so I don't know the procedure, but it was possible on both flights.

Those of you who have used your cpap machine on board know that the extension cord has to run across the room and tends to be a tripping hazard at night. This is a heads up for HAL if they read this board. On our recent first time Celebrity cruise my husband put out his cpap machine and extension cord next to the bed. When we came back in the evening our room steward had provided a ships extension cord plugged in at the desk, ran it behind the TV and duct taped it to the floor across to the bed so there was less chance of tripping. That's never happened on all of our previous cruises and I was impressed.

St. Louis Sal

On the Nieuw Amsterdam my boyfriend was able to run the extention cord behind the bed along the wall and to the plug on the desk area. No tripping in the stateroom. Not sure what ship you were on but I thought they were all similarly laid out. Ours might have been different because we had an HC that trip perhaps.

On Celebrity they provided not only the extention but also distilled water at no extra charge. I was surprised, as I knew HAL charged for the distilled water.

I've always checked my CPAP in a very well protected suitcase. with more than 100 business trips and vacations, I've never had an issue (touch wood). Actually, my biggest problem on most ships is finding an outlet where I could plug it in. Frequently, there are no usable outlets near the bed. Usually, a phone call to housekeeping would resolve the issue by giving me an extension cord. However, on my last Celebrity cruise, the staff refused to give me an extension cord due to a perceived safety issue. I had to please my case right through to the officers to have one delivered. Even the customer service desk was of no help.