Tuggers goes Live From The Decks Of The Silhouette Pre Inaugural 11/4 to 11/6/11

tuggers

Greetings!

I am currently in Jacksonville staying at The Plaza. Sounds great, huh? Well in some respects it is.

I was originally going to use points and stay at the Hampton but I was contacted by some people who had read my review of this hotel and upon staying here had problems with the free shuttle. I called the manager and she assured me that the shuttle was indeed free (we are talking airport shuttle) but there had been a brief period of time when there was confusion due to a new company taking over the shuttle business for most of the hotels. The issue has been resolved and the shuttle operates 24 hours a day. For free.:)

Anyway, I decided I would stay here again and make sure my TripAdvisor and CC reviews were

still valid.

Left Valdosta at 4:30, made side trips to Costco and the shopping center across I95 from th airport and still checked in at 7:30. Desk clerk was helpful, answered all my questions and gave me a ground floor room near the lobby (114).

They have two types of rooms: very small ones with one queen size bed and a larger one with two queen size beds. The furniture is what I would call minimalistic. But the bed is pretty comfy and the pillows are squishy enough for me. The TV is small (I understand some rooms have flat screens but not this one), there is a small desk area, fridge, microwave and a large bench built under the window which is great for luggage.

There is one stain on the carpet but it is under the wall hung bed side table so I had to look to find it. The bathroom is very clean. The towels are not plush but for one night I can deal.

Cost of this room, including the mini breakfast (which I've looked at but never had because they start serving at 6:30 and I'm at the airport by then), shuttle and 7 nights parking was $39 booked on their site. I believe the larger room was $45. Plus taxes.

Yes, there is a really strange $2.50 'amenity fee' that they charge when you check in. I asked what it covered and was told the internet, breakfast and parking. It's never bothered me, I mean, its $2.50. If it really bothers you, I guess you don't need to book here because it doesn't look like they'll deduct it!:rolleyes:

I usually do not book hotels unless they are more upscale but I don't mind this one at all. And with the free parking it is such a bargain! We paid $40 for parking for the 5 night Millie my friend Judy and I did out of here in October. For a couple of dollars more I can spend the night.

I usually either go to dinner or buy dinner to bring back to the hotel at the shopping center nearby. They have a Cracker Barrel, Sticky Fingers, Red Lobster, etc plus several fast food joints. But this time I had a better dinner. My friend took me out to dinner Wednesday night along with her daughters. We went to a new Chinese restaurant where you actually order off the menu (there is no buffet in the evenings). The buffets are mostly the type of Oriental restaurants we have in South Georgia now. Anyway, I had ordered the Egg Foo Yung w/fried rice, had lots left so I brought it to heat up in the microwave. Much nicer! Except I'll be hungry in another hour or two! :rolleyes:

So I'm full, I have my free Internet and a Burn Notice Marathon which will be followed by a new episode. Life is good!:)

My flight tomorrow leaves at 6:30. For once I'm not flying SW which seems really odd. I am flying US Air first class so there would be no baggage fee. That was probably a waste as I'm making do with a carry on and a computer bag which is free in any class. I get in at 10:30 (one stop in Charlotte) and the Celebrity transfers (which they are providing) start in Terminal A at noon.

I am excited to finally be going on one of the large ships. It remains to be seen if I will decide they are for me. I truly do love my small ships but who knows, they may have a convert!

More tomorrow.

Bye For Now!

Hi Tuggers,

always nice to follow your " Live from Decks - Reports" ! X should give you free cruises, because of the good PR they get from your reports. I am curious if you like the bigger ships. My favorite Class is always Millenium Class. As much as I like them I am booked on two Solstice Class ship cruises, but thats just because the date and itinerary suited us better! I hate S- Classes Prommenade Deck- or should we say the lack of it! I suppose you will like the Lawn Club!

Enjoy your pre inaugurals! Still half a year until I board her, when she´s leaving for europe again!

Greetings,

Michael

I'll be interested to hear what you think of first class on US Airways. Last time I upgraded to first class with them it was dreadful. NO breakfast on a 3+hour flight to Phoenix that left at 7:00 a.m. No service either--the stew basically sat in her chair the whole flight. Bet they got better service in coach. Last time I'll spend the bucks for first class with them.

Dying to hear what you think of the S class ship.

Bon Voyage!

Hey Everyone!

Linda I only go FC to help with the luggage fees. Last time I flew US Air FC was from Jacksonville to Portland Oregon. Service wasn't bad as I recall. I'll definitely let you know. My line of choice is still SW!

I have long said I would never do these mammoth ships. Maybe they thought if they got me on this 2 night I'd decide I liked them???

I'm going to try to get some sleep. 4:45 comes early!!:eek:

Gail, I look forward to hearing how you like the larger ship. I am also a fan of the smaller ships, I really liked Horizon... (we met on one of their last Bermuda cruises). The last few years we have be on Azamara but I see an itinerary on Equinox that is good and I'm thinking it would be a nice change.

Danna

Tuggers, I'm traveling solo on the same Pre-inaugural. I have only sailed S-Class on X, so let's meet up at the Martini Bar and talk about the differences between the different classes. I live just 30 minutes from the port, and worked until midnight to get done what I normally would need to spend Friday afternoon doing. Just about finished packing, made a Pre-pre-inaugural Pom Martini and decided to check in on CC before going to bed. I'll look for you tomorrow!

Hey GF, Boy, do I wish we were there. Couldn't pull it off with Harry Potter in 8 days and the dgd's very first cruise (we know better, Carnival it is).

Can't wait to hear what you think! Might even get the cute little chubby guy to start thinking! We need to get the group back together again! Planning on seeing Cindy and Jerry so we'll work on that end.

Gail,

Looking forward to reading another Live report and especially how you enjoy the Silhouette knowing how you like the small ships. We go on the Equinox in January, our first time on a big ship, so your perspective will be interesting and helpful to us.

Please let us know if any of the former Mercury crew, staff, officers, etc. are on the Silhouette.

Have fun!

Kathy

Hi Gail,

As always, we look forward to your updates. I hope you enjoy the Solstice Class as much as we have. I'm curious to hear your take on the Lawn Club Grill & the Alcoves, as they are brand new features on the S-Class.

Bon Voyage !

Hi Gail,

Hope you are having a great time! I was spoiled by my 2 cruises on the Solstice before taking the Millenium w/you in October. I much prefer the S Class and hope you are enjoying your experience. I may try the Millenium again after her refurbish but am certainly looking forward to my Transatlantic on Equinox in April. Look forward to reading all about your trip!

Beth

Archived