Truth or Fiction on Princess

seajay312

On the last cruise in the States prior to going to the Mediterranean, is it true that the staff on board are less caring, the food is less tasty and the overall cruise very disappointing? Reason we are asking is because we are sailing on the Ruby 4/15/12 and are hearing from others some reasons why we should not take the last cruise before it repositions. We know a cruise is what you make of it, but.......?????? Any constructive comments are much appreciated.

On the last cruise in the States prior to going to the Mediterranean, is it true that the staff on board are less caring, the food is less tasty and the overall cruise very disappointing? Reason we are asking is because we are sailing on the Ruby 4/15/12 and are hearing from others some reasons why we should not take the last cruise before it repositions. We know a cruise is what you make of it, but.......?????? Any constructive comments are much appreciated.

TRUE!

Transatlantics are usually sold at rcok bottom prices, ships half full, therfore food costs must be watched. Also these cruises tend to attract a "thrifty clientele". Crew morale is usually low or nearly in the toilet because of 6 or more consecutive sea days crossing the Atlantic with no possibility of shore leave/time off etc.

Have experienced all of the above on TA crossings...but hey if you can get a cut rate at $40-$50 per person a day...why not!:D

TRUE!

Transatlantics are usually sold at rcok bottom prices, ships half full, therfore food costs must be watched. Also these cruises tend to attract a "thrifty clientele". Crew morale is usually low or nearly in the toilet because of 6 or more consecutive sea days crossing the Atlantic with no possibility of shore leave/time off etc.

Have experienced all of the above on TA crossings...but hey if you can get a cut rate at $40-$50 per person a day...why not!:D

I think the OP is asking about the last cruise in the U.S. before it does the TA and not the TA cruise.:)

Bill

I have twice taken a cruise that was the 'last' one before a repositioning. Both were wonderful. The crew was great, kind of excited to be going somewhere different next week and happy to talk about who was staying, who was going home, what they were looking forward to, what they were going to miss. I did not notice any difference on the food quality.

Honestly, I don't believe itinerary matters as much as other factors, namely management and crew turnover. The crew may not be thrilled about the upcoming TA trip, but the professional ones won't show it and the nonprofessional ones will anyway.

As an example, our last two Princess cruises were on the Coral in AK then the Island for the Canal. The staff experience on the Island was superior to the Coral (neither was bad). I don't attribute this as much to the difference in itinerary (and there was no ship difference) as to the management. On the Coral, I never saw the CD and could not pick the MD out of a lineup, nor was the Exec Chef as personable. On the Island, the CD was out constantly, the MD was always visible and helping out his team and the Kitchen had a palpably different tone during the chef's table.

Management sets the tone for the staff, and THAT is what will determine how your cruise is, far more than anything else. And it's really difficult to predict that far out because staff is changing all the time.

High turnover is the other cause of poor service to me, as the new staff takes time to get acclimated to the new ship.

Hi There

We did last caribbean cruise this year before Ruby did TA we stayed on for TA.

It was just a normal cruise, there were crew changes but these happen all the time, major crew change is often Rome or Barcelona,

would be very happy to do this cruise again

yours Shogun

Well, seajay, if you do decide to take the cruise, join our rollcall. Lots of fun people. Every cruise is a good cruise:)

Honestly, I don't believe itinerary matters as much as other factors, namely management and crew turnover. The crew may not be thrilled about the upcoming TA trip, but the professional ones won't show it and the nonprofessional ones will anyway.
I agree. I've taken TA's, and cruises just before a TA, and haven't noticed any difference. The price of the cruise has nothing to do with the level of service or professionalism. It's not as if the staff says to themselves, "These yokels are paying $49/pp/day so I'm going to give them half or 1/3 the service I usually do."

I don't often post on CC, but I visit regularly and I observe. Kind of like on-line people watching. :rolleyes: If you see a really negative posting, take a look at the posters other posts before letting it impact your decision. I have been doing this, and I have found that 9 out of 10 times their posts are almost always negative. I always take overly negative reviews with a grain of salt. It's just like movies reviews. If I actually listened to the "professional reviewers" I would have missed a lot of really good movies. Enjoy your cruise!

I don't often post on CC, but I visit regularly and I observe. Kind of like on-line people watching. :rolleyes: If you see a really negative posting, take a look at the posters other posts before letting it impact your decision. I have been doing this, and I have found that 9 out of 10 times their posts are almost always negative. I always take overly negative reviews with a grain of salt. It's just like movies reviews. If I actually listened to the "professional reviewers" I would have missed a lot of really good movies. Enjoy your cruise!

Judging survey statistics: Throw out the low and the high.

As to movies, I can always rely on Roger Ebert's reviews. I can easily judge whether I'll like a film, even if he doesn't.

Except his one star reviews. Then the movie really stinks.:p

personally...I would believe what you have heard

Archived