Recent Crown Grill reports?

srphnx

We are sailing the Sapphire after her dry dock in January and she will now boast a crown grill. We have eaten in the CG twice on Golden one time spectacular and the other good. We are tempted to try again on the way to Hawaii. Those sea days are good for digestion.

Anyone have any comments on current experiences, items you feel are "must haves"?

Please include what ship and how it compared in your opinion the the quality of the regular dining room fare for comparison.

Thanks in advance.

We've done the Crown Grill three times now. Twice on the Caribbean Princess and once on the Crown Princess. Our experiences haven't been that great. The first time on the Caribbean Princess the service was exceptionally bad. We joked that our table was invisible... 10 minutes to get menus, 15 minutes more to place our order, etc. The food was good though and that made up for the experience. On the Crown Princess, the service was excellent, but the food wasn't up to par. We all sent our orders back. But last summer on the Caribbean Princess, it all came together and we had great service and great food.

Do try the Black and Bleu Onion Soup and the dessert sampler. I've liked the ribeye and the porterhouse is good too.

We had great food & service on our recently completed Crown Princess cruise just like the other times on the Star & Golden. I'm glad they're adding a Crown Grill on the Sapphire which has more selections & a better location than the current Sterlings located in a sectioned off part of the HC's aft dining area. We enjoyed their dessert sampler which had tastes of everything except for the fruit cobbler. My wife enjoys mussels so had that for her only course leading up to a large serving of lobster for her entree. My filet mignon was perfect & enjoyed the quality of the food much more than in the MDR...just no comparison to the CG.

A "live from" report from the Ruby of a dinner at the Crown Grill last night said that it was "good".

Our own experience, eating there 4 times (Ruby and Emerald), as that it was disappointing 3 of those 4 times. One time the service was so bad that our waiter was demoted to busing tables in the MDR. One of the people asked him not to give her a lobster tail, and he said, "Here,take it anyways" and proceeded to throw it on her plate.

We recently cruised on the Caribbean Princess in early September. Went to the Crown Grill twice and it was wonderful. Food was very good and the service was great. We had ribeye steaks, lobster tails, scallop appetizers, and the black and blue soup. All wonderful.....

We've eaten at the Crown Grill twice on Ruby, once on Golden, once on the Crown, and at Sterling on the Diamond.

Our meal on the Crown was my favorite, closely followed by the Ruby (twice) and the Golden. I didn't care for Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond at all.

We always book the Crown Grill at least once per cruise and find it a nice change of pace from the MDR.

A "live from" report from the Ruby of a dinner at the Crown Grill last night said that it was "good".

Our own experience, eating there 4 times (Ruby and Emerald), as that it was disappointing 3 of those 4 times. One time the service was so bad that our waiter was demoted to busing tables in the MDR. One of the people asked him not to give her a lobster tail, and he said, "Here,take it anyways" and proceeded to throw it on her plate.

I don't understand why you would have paid to go there four times if it was bad for three of them? If you weren't happy first time, why pay to go back?

Thanks to all who have added their experience. We will likely book it the first night aboard, likely no one will have found it and we can have it to ourselves.

We went on formal night & it was quite busy and had no problem wearing 'smart casual' clothing.

I don't understand why you would have paid to go there four times if it was bad for three of them? If you weren't happy first time, why pay to go back?

Well, for us, third time was the charm. We've enjoyed the Sterling Steakhouses/Bayou Cafes and thought the Crown Grill would be the same. When it wasn't, we thought it was just an anomaly and decided to give it another chance.

Two postings on another thread from the Ruby today:

1) On Wednesday evening we went to the Crown Grill and everything was cooked to perfection and the service was outstanding.

2) We ate at the Crown Grill. The food was good but not great. Service was very good.

So, same evening, same ship, same restaurant. Seems very subjective.

Wonder for those who did not enjoy your meal, do you ever sent it back, complain and request that they don't charge you extra? Just wondering ... feel you should be satisfied if you are paying extra.

My only disappointment in Sterling Steakhouse was the ambiance, as it was a portion of the Horizon Court sectioned off, and the tenderness of my filet was not nearly as tender as the one I had had during the UBD a couple of nights before (which was the best I've ever had on land or at sea). Not enough to complain about, IMHO, and still worth the upcharge.

Hi - We just got off the Emerald today.

We went to the Crown Grill 4 times on our cruise. We are big steakhouse fans and feel the quality of the food well exceeds the quality of the main dining room.

Some of our favorites:

Scallop appetizer

Black and Blue Onion Soup

Spinach, Goat Cheese, and Beet Salad

Mussel Pot (shared as an app)

Filet

Rack of Lamb (great!!)

Lobster Tails

We got the Molton Chocolate dessert a bunch too and it was great.

All the food was spectacular in our opinion and only once was one of our entrees a touch overcooked.

Kristen

Archived