MedEvac and Emergency Port Diversion?

PenguinLife

Maybe the cruiselines should come up with some sort of health screen evaluation before people over 65 get on the ship. Weed out the high risk people before hand.

Let's see how you feel about that when you start getting old and frail mate.

Last December my perfectly healthy 19 year old got ill (suspected appendicitis) on the Dream, and we were off-loaded in Belize. Most "emergencies" are just that - unforseen things that happen. No one expects it to happen to them. But in answer to the op's question - we saw a helicopter evac once on Glory, and twice we were re-routed for evacts on other ships. Seems they happen more frequently now than in the past....

How did they treat you in Belize? Did you have travel insurance? Did they pay out or make excuses?

I don't remember anything happening on my first cruise in 2009. 5 day on the Ecstasy out of Galveston.

2010- Triumph from NOLA- itinerary -Belize, Roatan, Cozumel. mad an unscheduled stop in Cozumel first to drop off someone.

Roatan- someone from our ship drowned on the beach. Heard about it after we got back on the ship.

The morning we docked back in NOLA, there was a "Bright Star" called for forward elevators level 0- a crew member had a heart attack.

2011 Freedom -just got back on Saturday. After leaving Key West, heading west to go around Cuba, we continued west and went to Cozumel (again) to drop off a passenger and her companions due to a medical emergency. Word was the lady may have had a stroke.

When you are sailing with 3000 people, someone is bound to get sick or injured once in awhile.

I was on the Carnival Dream for 10-29-11 cruise and we had an Coast guard helo pick up someone on our return to port. We where north of the island of Hispanola on our first sea day/night heading back when a helo pickuped someone around 2330 hours.

Then on our last sea day we headed to Nassau to drop off a sick passenger around 1600-1700 hours. After dropping that person off we headed back towards the homeport where we didn't arrive till about 0830 hours Saturday morning. Overall we where about 3 hours late getting back to port.

The only other time I saw someone heloed out was on the Jubilee on 12-25-2001 off the coast of Key West.

I just sailed on the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville on Oct. 29 and was diverted to Port of Miami to let a passenger off. This was on our second cruise. They came over the intercom and announced that a passenger had taken ill and that we would be going to Miami and to hold on cause they were going to be turning sharp. And they did too, plate fell off the buffet and water in the warmers was pouring out. But it didn't cause us to be late to the next port we were on time in key west.

We've been on five cruises now. Of those five cruises, only one (the last one) had any medical emergencies of that nature. Thing is, there were three of them on that cruise...the first emergency meant the ship speed up and arrived at Cozumel several hours ahead of schedule, the second meant a diversion to Grand Cayman at night, and it was after all ports of call, and we still arrived back home on schedule, and the third emergency the morning after Grand Cayman didn't result in any change at all.

On our 2nd cruise, we were doing the eastern Caribbean, and the night before our first port, San Juan, an older gentleman had a heart attack. We were suppose to get into San juan at 5 p.m., we got there at 2 p.m., and the ambulance was waiting on the pier. We could see the man, on a gurney, his wife, and the Dr. get off the ship and straight onto the ambulance.

Archived