Solo parent question

momwithboys

i'm taking my two sons on a 3 night Disney cruise in Jan. while my husband is attending a trade show in Orlando. He is not coming to the pier to drop us off, we will be taking a shuttle. Other then the boy's passports, do I need other documentation?

What Kitty said. :D

Also, I don't think it would matter if he were coming to the pier. He would theoretically need to be at check in to allow travel (if they'd even allow verbal permission, which is dubious). I don't believe they would let him past security without a boarding pass.

I know you need the note in order to get a passport, but I have not been told I need a note from their father in order for them to board. Maybe I need to check into this again before we cruise.

Both parents need to be present to apply for a passport. Both parents need to give consent for a child to cross borders. I wouldn't trust the cruiseline on this or any other immigration requirements.

I know you need the note in order to get a passport, but I have not been told I need a note from their father in order for them to board. Maybe I need to check into this again before we cruise.

You should be prepared with a notarized permission to travel letter. You may never be asked for it, but if you don't have it, you can be denied boarding.

Never, ever trust an agent at a cruiseline to give you correct immigration information. Most of the time, they have no idea what they are talking about, IME.

There was a recent program about cruising on the Travel Channel, and a mother and kids were trying to board Oasis of the Seas. The check in person at the terminal asked the mom for the permission letter from the father, and the mom didn't have it. They had to speak to the head of security who told them that without that notarized letter, they would not be permitted to cruise, and would lose all their money. So, RCI allowed the mom to call the father and he faxed the letter directly to the ship and they were allowed to board, at the very last minute.

It's been widely discussed here that if a parent is cruising without the other parent, or if a minor is traveling with grandparents or with friends, they absolutely must have that permission letter or boarding can be denied. Just because "someone" never told you this, doesn't mean it isn't the case.

My situation may be different. Since I am divorced and I have sole physical custody. I did not receive my information from just a cruiseline agent, I also contacted the National Passport Information Services.

The wording may vary by state, but if you have sole legal and physical custody, you need to bring your court order showing this. If you only have sole physical custody, and not legal, you need this letter.

Personally, I also would not trust an agent at Passport Services, who may know about passport requirements, but nothing about immigration requirements.

The wording may vary by state, but if you have sole legal and physical custody, you need to bring your court order showing this. If you only have sole physical custody, and not legal, you need this letter.

Personally, I also would not trust an agent at Passport Services, who may know about passport requirements, but nothing about immigration requirements.

This is absolutely correct - the boarding agent isn't going to care one iota if you tell them "but someone at Passport Services said it was OK."

This is absolutely correct - the boarding agent isn't going to care one iota if you tell them "but someone at Passport Services said it was OK."

And some of us have also been asked for this proof at immigration when re-entering the U.S after a cruise. Could create a real problem if you're delayed because of this and are trying to make a flight.

Best,

Mia

And some of us have also been asked for this proof at immigration when re-entering the U.S after a cruise. Could create a real problem if you're delayed because of this and are trying to make a flight.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

The ironic thing thing is that there is no proof that the adults are actually the parents (if you us a passport). We took our 5YO niece (different last name) and were never questioned. However, if we had the same last name (as we do with 3 of my nephews) they would have no clue that we weren't the parents to begin with.

Couple that with the fact the our system has no exit controls (which is stated on the abduction section of the State Dept website) and the idea of the letter is pretty silly. Of course, we still wouldn't go without one because "missing the boat" is still missing the boat, regardless of the reason. :D

Contact Disney they have a letter they share that is a sample of what they need. It not only lists that it is Ok to take cruise such and such but to take part in on ship activiitivies, shore excursions and be treated by a doctor as needed in an emergency. The letter may never be asked for or you amy be asked for it at every turn. better to have and enjoy the cruise that not have and be denied access to the ship

Archived