Cunarders IN Bermuda

modelman

Thanks for the great Cunarder collage!

I hope that Queen Mary 2 does a few Bermuda cruises now that her registry and that of her fleet mates is immanent.

I remember the first time I went to Bermuda on QE2. What an impressive sight it was beholding her anchored in the Great Sound. On subsequent cruises she berthed at the Royal Dockyard.

If QE2 could do it, why can't Queen Mary 2?

Bobby

Thanks for the great Cunarder collage!

I hope that Queen Mary 2 does a few Bermuda cruises now that her registry and that of her fleet mates is immanent.

I remember the first time I went to Bermuda on QE2. What an impressive sight it was beholding her anchored in the Great Sound. On subsequent cruises she berthed at the Royal Dockyard.

If QE2 could do it, why can't Queen Mary 2?

Bobby

We made it in to the Dockyards on the Costa Magica in 2007, after circling the island for a day waiting for the high winds to calm down. The channel is narrow, with coral heads on either side poking out of the sea. A couple of the turns are quite sharp as well and you could really feel the ship listing as we rounded the bouys. I spoke to the captain, who, despite the protests from many of the passengers who could not understand that the ship presented quite a bit of sail area, refused to enter until it was safe. No, it was not Captain McNaught at the helm either! :)

The real question is whether any of the fleet will ever make it to their new homeport. We were told that only smaller ships can make it to Hamilton.

Ken

The real question is whether any of the fleet will ever make it to their new homeport. We were told that only smaller ships can make it to Hamilton.

Ken

Queen Victoria on 3rd December as part of the Venice to Fort Lauderdale Adventure.

Great photos of Cunard in Bermuda. Also two of my own paintings! ;-)

Of course the Cunard connection goes way back to the early 1800s when the Cunard family had ships running mails to Bermuda from Halifax. In the 1870s we had the Cunarders ALPHA, BETA and DELTA employed full time on the Halifax service. Should not forget that in the 30s the old FRANCONIA and CARINTHIA were on the Ny/Bermuda run... wearing Furnss Bermuda Line colours!

I would like to see ADONIA transferred to Cunard, named FRANCONIA, painted green and put on the NY run. What a wonderful move that would be.

Right now I am on board the former Cunarder VISTAFJORD/CARONIA... as SAGA RUBY... 31 day cruise to the Caribbean. Wonderful... never mind the Force 9 for three days from Southampton tp Ponta Delgada.

Stephen

How could I do a Bermuda collage and not include a little Stephen Card?? :p

I too would love to see either the Adonia or one of the two Princess ships moved over to Cunard to sail the Bermuda run. I did a quick photoshop of one of them as Franconia / Carmania in green

Carmania8.jpg

Best,

Thad

Instead of giving the R ships to Cunard...

I think that Carnival has almost every segment of the industry covered, but the small premium segment epitimized by Oceania and Azamara. As Carnival already owns three of the former R ships that have been the basis of these other two lines, I propose they re-introduce White Star Line as a premium level smaller ship line. Not as luxurious as Seabourn, but in smaller ships than Cunard or Holland America. These three former R ships, currently Adonia, Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess, would be reborn as Majestic, Britannic and Oceanic. Their interiors are already somewhat "Edwardian" so a classical based design would work well.

Majestic17.jpg?3118

Queen Victoria on 3rd December as part of the Venice to Fort Lauderdale Adventure.

According to the port schedule, Queen Victoria will be docking at the Heritage Wharf, which is the newer extension to the King's Wharf at the Dockyards, not Hamilton.

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/BERMUDA-SHIP-SCHEDULE.htm

Looks like only a few small ships will make it all the way in to Hamilton in 2011.

Partial quote

Which were the paintings, and which were the photos?

Excellent photorealism!

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Salacia

Two of them.... the 3/4 stern view of FRANCONIA docking in Hamilton (lower mid left) and the LANCASTRIA arriving St George in 1939... middle right.

FRANCONIA is special. I joined her in 1967 as Deck Boy for three weeks at age 14 ( with the Bermuda Sea Cadets - two cadets were sent every week for a run to NY and back. My trip was three weeks... up to Montreal for Expo '67). The in 1968 I made two trips in FRANCONIA and two in the old QUEEN ELIZABETH. Those were the days!

Stephen

Hi Salacia

Two of them.... the 3/4 stern view of FRANCONIA docking in Hamilton (lower mid left) and the LANCASTRIA arriving St George in 1939... middle right.

FRANCONIA is special. I joined her in 1967 as Deck Boy for three weeks at age 14 ( with the Bermuda Sea Cadets - two cadets were sent every week for a run to NY and back. My trip was three weeks... up to Montreal for Expo '67). The in 1968 I made two trips in FRANCONIA and two in the old QUEEN ELIZABETH. Those were the days!

Stephen

Topsham, thank you. I think you're very generous in allowing your paintings to be reproduced sans attribution. May I ask the size and medium used, and where those paintings are now as I would like to view the original paintings...could I possible have seen those particular paintings on QM2?

Regards,

Salacia

Archived