A Reluctant Cruiser...

sarafinadh

Thanks for asking the question. I was curious about that, too. :)

Guess we refer to our relatives differently.

My DW is "The luckiest girl in the world" and the son is "the royal offspring".

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

1. Check the Celebrity tipping arrangements.

2. Hold put on your credit card?

3. Dogsled/ Plan B.

4. pre-order hard alcohol:)

You totally do NOT need a balcony for Alaska.

Ok, In reverse order ; -)

I think I TOTALLY need a balcony so I have a polite excuse to move my cabin from between my inlaws and the girls... Other wise I wouldn't care much one way or the other ; -)

Alcohol isn't an issue for the Spouse and I. Two bottles of wine in our stateroom will be fine for sipping before or after dinner. I was thinking of the Inlaws who like their martinis and are BIG deal wine drinkers. I have already advised them to check out the packages. Frankly one of my fav drinks on the rare occasions I find myself in a bar is a Shirley Temple. I LOVE those things and since one of my talents is tying the stem in knots...

Check on the dogsled cancelling issue. Hopefully July will give us a pretty good shot at a nice day but I will have a back up plan now that I know the risk. You are SUCH a font of information!

Check on the credit cards. We can just bring one of the ones we don't use and keep for emergencies. I did know about that and the daily tipping fee. I suspect the Inlaws may have covered the tipping fee in the travel arrangements but if not, not a problem. It can go on the same card. BTW Celebrity is $12 a day I think, so about the same.

I haven't yet cruised with Celebrity, but from what I hear the food is the best of the mass-market lines. Sea days are awesome....nothing like the sun shining and endless ocean around you :D. Keep in mind if you book your own excursions, you are responsible for getting back to the ship on-time! Lastly, enjoy your family! Sure we all have family drama and issues :cool:

I have read that Celebrity does better than most and I expect that the dinner at the Olympic will be really nice, everyone reviewing it seems to love it.

I have also noted, but thank you for reinforcing, the return caution for day trips. I am hoping if we go with organizations who have had good recommendations here at CC we will be fine. If not I expect we will be hiring those dog sleds to get us to the next port in time ; -)

Issues? we all have family drama and issues??? WHAT???

Oh, yeah yer right, we DO!!! ; -D

But we get past them with out too much trouble!

Out of curiosity, why do you refer to your family members as "The"? The Daughter, The Spouse, The Everyone, instead of My daughter or My family?

Well, I call them that in person as well ; -) Although the Everyone is more often "the Crew"... and occasionally the Daughter is the Spawn... And the MIL has been... well better left unsaid.... but in recent years she has gotten much nicer so that is a rare occurrence these days ; -D

We launched my folks 50th party this last weekend and it all went smashingly so now I am ready to get to work on excursions. And the really important pressing issues such as... what are we going to wear??

I am already evaluating our wardrobes and making lists... This will actually be fun, we LIKE to dress up!

Thanks all ; -)

Edited by sarafinadh

• 2 weeks later...

I think I TOTALLY need a balcony so I have a polite excuse to move my cabin from between my inlaws and the girls... Other wise I wouldn't care much one way or the other ; -)

Good choice. I wasn't sure if you were going to be getting one, but that was my first thought when you were asking what was soothing about a cruise. I am not much of a joiner and don't generally love crowds. But watching the sea from my own private part of the ship is essential to me, it makes all the difference in how much I enjoy my cruise. From breakfast or coffee on the balcony, to popping out to see what the weather is like in the morning, to wandering out to look at the moon and stars at night or simply watch that huge dark ocean - it recharges my batteries and gives me a break from the "busyness" of the cruise and all the people.

Celebrity has a great room service menu. I wasn't always in love with the food in the main dining room, but we had a concierge class balcony and that menu was especially good for breakfast.

JMO but I think the worst part of this trip is going to be those first 3 days. For me the very thought of 3 days of bus trips with "the herd" would have me seeking desperately for a doctor with a very friendly prescription pad! This is where your patience will be tested. Is there any way that you can opt out of this portion of the trip? I hate to be such a downer when everyone else is being so helpful but from reading your posts I just don't see this as being something that you're going to end up enjoying. Can you tolerated it for the sake of family harmony? Sure, but I'm pretty certain this is going to live down to your expectations. But try to leave that experience behind you at the pier so it doesn't taint the rest of the trip.

I've found (in my limited experience) the ships themselves to be very relaxing. Reading and chatting with others. On our cruise to Alaska I enjoyed talking with the rangers onboard and we had some very interesting guest lecturers. We generally don't go on any excursions and just find one or two things in each port that we'd like to see. We wait for the mad dash ashore to be over and then go off at our leisure. Yes you do have to be back at a set time but if you don't try to cram to much in at each port it's really not an issue.

If you can make it through those first few days I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the actual cruising part of your trip.

Best of luck to you!

Oh yeah if there is any way you can manage it get a balcony cabin. It's an essential for me as I really need to know I have a little place I can retreat to when the need arises.

Edited by Sea42

• 8 months later...

I was a "Reluctant Cruiser" when I learned I was going to be taking the Celebrity Millennium's 7 day north bound inside passage itinerary.

I invested a great deal of time and energy into educating myself about the opportunities available on the voyage. All that research was more than worth it and the information I gathered from all of the experienced cruisers here helped make the trip go better for all 11 members of our party. I really appreciate the guidance and advice I received here.

In the end, despite all the great support, the best advice I received personally was drink heavily and take Valium. Given that I am at best of times only the lightest of social drinkers, and rarely finish a glass of wine, and have never taken Valium for its sedative qualities, I am somewhat sad that this was the case.

We had a few wonderful days in Vancouver, a lovely town, great walking, hiking, biking, dining and beautiful views everywhere.

I survived the bus tours and a challenging day when we found out at about 11 am that the hotel we were booked in, and that the rest of the family was checking into that afternoon for the precruise sea to sky tour, did not have our reservations. In the end InterCruise, Celebrity's contractor for these tours, had completely bolloxed up the arrangements and we wasted the entire day sorting it out, getting moved to a new hotel and arranging for the family's arrival. Huge blackmark against Celebrity and InterCruise.

Boarding went fine, the cabin was nicely appointed and plenty spacious with all the promised storage. Our first evening was dinner in The Olympic. The meal was good, with a few outstanding items. I could swim in that grand marnier souffle on a regular basis; -) The service was as cheerful and as engaging as you could ask for but not very skilled or professional. There were numerous mistakes that seemed very out of character for a dining room that presents itself as seriously as The Olympic does. In all it was a really nice evening and everyone enjoyed it immensely. It was a great start to the cruise. That evening in the cabin I commented to the Spouse that this was all going really well and I was thinking that maybe it was going to be fun after all.

Day two relieved me of that notion. The day started in search of breakfast and went downhill from there. That evening, after a day on board, I was totally stressed and could barely wait until the morning when I could get off the boat, for at least a little while.

Being in the ship was, for me, akin to being in Hotel California. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." No matter how many halls I walked down, doors I went thru, or rooms I entered, I was still on the ship. By the end of the day I was edgy and restless. None of the areas considered to be good *chilling* zones worked. It felt as if every time I sat down someone would start a scrapbooking class, or dance lessons, or trivia contests, right by where I was.

Dinner that evening in the MDR was the straw... Service was beyond horrible and the food was inedible. Truly, do NOT order the Cobia. Others at the table had somewhat better luck, but all meats were delivered medium at best, and the end of the meal was a total meltdown with the waiter, so no dessert.

By the time we got back to the cabin I was done in. If I could have left the cruise right then I would have, and in the morning we were among the very first off the ship.

The day off the ship helped, but returning to the thought of facing the same waiter over dinner was so disheartening that I actually did pull out the Valium my sister had recommended I bring and take half. That and and a Cosmo got me thru another dismal meal and back to the cabin somewhat more intact than the night before, and that set the tone for the rest of the cruise.

We were off every morning at first chance and stayed off until last bell. I took a half Valium and a Cosmo every evening and then sipped on wine during the meals.

On the glacier day we were up in Cosmo early and on the deck a great deal of the morning. That afternoon I just went back to the cabin, read and napped until cocktails in Rendezvous and dinner after.

On the last day I and the Daughter were worn thin and both desperate for the trip to be over. We had managed to participate in all the family time and the folks had a wonderful trip, with all the kids and grand kids around them, making them very happy. The family members from Boston had a great time too. The Spouse had spent his trip smoothing things as best he could for us and while not hating the cruise the way we had, clearly, even beyond dealing with us, had no desire cruise again either.

My victory was that the rest of the family had no idea we were miserable for much of the trip. Better living thru chemistry I guess...

On the plus side:

We made it into Bistro on 5 the third day and breakfasted there the rest of the time, grateful to be able to get a decent breakfast. It was a calm oasis and we sat there a number of mornings just enjoying the peace. If I had had the freedom to do so I would have taken all of my meals in the Bistro and the Olympic.

The sandwiches in the Cafe al Baccio made up late lunch and early dinner many days. They were tasty and a few stashed back in the cabin made up for some of the more spectacular failures in the MDR so I didn't go to sleep hungry.

Dancing and cocktails in the Rendezvous Lounge was really a pleasure. We love to ballroom dance and it was a treat amidst all the stress to be able to just relax and enjoy the music and dance floor.

With the startling exception of the MDR waiter, all the staff aboard were wonderful. I really was impressed with the efforts they made, over and over, to meet the needs of the passengers. We tipped liberally and happily.

Kayaking the islands around Ketchikan on a beautiful sunny warm windless day was spectacular.

Whale watching out of Hoonah was great.

The Salmon Hatchery in Juneau was amazing.

The Bison burgers at Gold Pan Pam's in Carcross were SO tasty, hot off her husband's grill.

While I was onboard and miserable, I was aware that all of the cruisers around me were having a wonderful time. Clearly the food quality did not bother others as much as it did my own immediate family. Mom was not impressed either, but for the most part most people were more than content with what they receive.

Clearly being on the ship was a happy experience for the rest of the passengers as well. It was just not something that I could be happy with.

Were I do ever have a desire to visit Alaska again I would plan a trip using the Alaskan Ferry system and rental cars. Being in the cruise centric port towns did not impress us.

I came here a 'Reluctant Cruiser'. I leave, as do my daughter and husband, a 'Non Cruiser'. Our time honoured tradition of booking air fare and an apartment and then just 'going' will remain our preferred method of travel. I could "see" how much cruising is enjoyed by the fans, but in the end, it was not for us.

Oh Sara--I am so sorry you did not enjoy the cruise the way you wanted to. As you mentioned before, cruising is not for everyone, but reading your post, I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I can only imagine the feeling of being trapped during the length of your trip. :(

Only speaking for myself, I've been on more than a few cruise ships, and always enjoyed the experience (especially on those at sea days). It's always been a fun and relaxing way to vacation for me and my family members.

I'm a big believer in knowing what you DON'T want, and using that information to create the experience you really wish to have. Sounds like you've been able to do just that.

Thanks again for the information and all of the details. Good luck on your next trip!

• 3 months later...

It probably didn't help that you and your husband are used to sailing and cruising in your own boat. With those freedoms not present on a cruise ship, I think you did a grand job of making the best of it. To people that cruise in their own boats, a cruise ship just doesn't cut it.

My mother paid for all of her children's families to go on a Mediterannean Cruise back a few years ago to celebrate her 70th birthday. No-one was expecting much - "isn't cruising for the elderly and infirmed" type attitude. Both my brothers and their families ended up pulling out to my mum's dissappointment but we went along and though we didn't expect to love cruising, went in with the attitude of making the most of it.

My first impressions confirmed my fears - lots of people, confined on a ship I couldn't escape from. By the 2nd day I was having a blast. By the time we disembarked we were all hooked. My husband spent his days on board reading in a quiet spot - yes there are quiet spots even in the middle of July in the Med - watching dolphins swimming close to the bow, and listening to his ipod. The rest of us, to my amazement and surprise found we loved participating in everything.

It may not be your thing but how do you know till you try it? Go in with a truly open mind and leave your judgements and assumptions on the pier. Change your focus from what you're going to get from it (or not) to what you can give to it eg how you can show your appreciation for the generosity your inlaws have shown (regardless of whether you'd have preferred a different gift). Give up too, your assumptions about who your fellow travellers are because you're bound to find kindred spirits aboard if you are open to finding them.

Good way to look at it. Your brothers bailing was their loss. But when it comes to Sara, myself, and other boat owners that have cruised as captain of their own vessel, their choice of destinations, routes, and anchorages does make the adjustment to a cruise ship a bit more difficult.

To people that cruise in their own boats, a cruise ship just doesn't cut it.
I think there are a few "crossovers", but in general I bet you are right ; -)

My first impressions confirmed my fears - lots of people, confined on a ship I couldn't escape from. By the 2nd day I was having a blast. to my amazement and surprise found we loved participating in everything.

It may not be your thing but how do you know till you try it? Go in with a truly open mind and leave your judgments and assumptions on the pier.

That's great that you found cruising was for you. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavours, right? ; -)

My first impression remained with me despite my best efforts. There are, as in any situation, exceptions to the rule and a few people we met on board shared common views and interests, but for the most part? Not so much.

Many cruisers on our Alaskan itinerary seemed all to happy with the disnyesque simulacrum that the cruise ship ports serve up. And for us the experience onboard was not sufficiently enhanced by the merit of being on the water to make it enjoyable.

That's OK. Out on the water in our little sailboat is heaven to me, and I am sure many would regard it as cramped and uncomfortable, and too much work ; -)

Edited by sarafinadh

But hey, for crossovers that might be interested in the other side of cruising, come join our forum, you might like it.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/

I use the same user name on this forum, as by my rough guess we might have almost 10% of the members are commercial mariners. Who knows, some of your cruise ship officers might be members.

Sara -- so sorry to hear that your Millie cruise wasn't great. Maybe a compromise between the mega-lines and your sailboat (I'm so jealous) would be one of the smaller, luxury lines. You definitely sound like a savvy world traveler who knows what she likes (and doesn't like) -- and it would be sad to lose your input on these boards. Happy sailing! :cool:

Sara -- so sorry to hear that your Millie cruise wasn't great. Maybe a compromise between the mega-lines and your sailboat (I'm so jealous) would be one of the smaller, luxury lines. You definitely sound like a savvy world traveler who knows what she likes (and doesn't like) -- and it would be sad to lose your input on these boards. Happy sailing! :cool:

You know quality when you see it. We sure enjoy Sara's contributions to the Cruiser's Forum. I believe she races in the SF Bay area, and has been very patient helping her hubby get his sea legs.

We've manned our own power type boat for many years, & yes, it's apples & oranges compared to a cruise, but I still love cruises to explore new ports in Europe... however, sleeping under the stars while anchored off Catalina is very nice!

For Christmas, we've bought one another sailing lessons, & we're very excited, going to buy our first non power boat after we complete our courses, thrilled to have a new adventure ahead of us, but still excited for next years Med. cruise!

sara .

Alaska is one of the best cruise areas we have ever travelled ,not always cold untill you hit the glaciers .

cruising isn,t for everyone as we do all love different things ,that whats good we here lots of ideas of where we can go and what we can do travelling wise .

have a great cruise enjoy the wildlife .

Sara,

You do not like cold weather? I have frequently visited San Francisco, and lived there for almost two years. I find it interesting that you do not like cold weather and yet, live in a truly wonderful city where the fog rolls in nightly bringing with it a chill that is as cold as any I have felt. Including I might add, the middle of a Michigan winter, where I worked in my father's gas station, standing outside taking care of customers.

After 34 cruises, my advice to you is to find another vacation. Here are some ideas...visit Naples Italy and see an opera in the Teatro San Carlo Opera House. Visit Nyn Havn in Copenhagen, and walk to the Queen's Palace. Ride a vaporetto in Venice, and visit the canals of Costa Rica. And Australia and New Zealand...visit Rotorua.

For those of you who visit Seward Alaska, plan on a boat tour of the Kenai Fjords National Park where the bald eagles watch over the Orcas at play.

Addenda...

I hope that San Francisco Sara is having some nice fun, baiting the rest of us who enjoy cruises for many reasons. And that she and her family rent apartments all over the world, try the finest restaurants in cities like Amsterdam, and cook with locally raised fruits and vegetables. Sounds great like the great beer commercials used to proclaim and probably filling too. However, there are many people who go on cruises, who live very busy lives such as the physicians and nurses I have met. They want to be taken care of for a few days, that is, without the hits and misses of restaurant searches, cab rides, and housekeeping.

For me, seeing Alaska by ship is a special travel experience. Seeing where the mountains and forest meet the sea are special to me. Or watching a sunrise when the sun shines upon the water, and then the sunsets later in the day. Going on a cruise of the Panama Canal in two weeks...reading material has accumulated and can't wait to sit out on the balcony enjoying the wonderful views, fresh air and reading.

Are you going from Caribbean to Pacific or vice versa? On the Caribbean side, just inside the bay, look north to catch Shelter Bay Marina, a place where we hang waiting for our transit times. Sara wasn't baiting you, she joined this forum to get a heads up as to what to expect on a cruise. I see no reason why folks that enjoy the sea can't avail themselves of both modes. For those too busy with little time, a cruise ship is the way to go. For those that have pulled the plug for awhile, sailing your own vessel really lets you soak things up, no pun intended.

Sara,

You do not like cold weather?

After 34 cruises, my advice to you is to find another vacation.

I DO hate cold weather, and while I love my city and am a native, I hate the being cold part of living here. We are just ending my favorite time of year, and as our Indian Summer fades I am faced with months of drear damp and cold. I confess to dreaming of a time when our life would allow us to snowbird to Baja for the winter months ; -) There I could sail and be warm. Heaven!

And yes, excellent advice.

Had to chuckle at the image of you pumping gas in the snow. Once upon a time I worked in the high Sierras and pumped gas at 7000 feet. In the snow. And hated every minute of it.

I hope that San Francisco Sara is having some nice fun, baiting the rest of us who enjoy cruises for many reasons. However, there are many people who go on cruises, who live very busy lives such as the physicians and nurses I have met. They want to be taken care of for a few days, that is, without the hits and misses of restaurant searches, cab rides, and housekeeping.

For me, seeing Alaska by ship is a special travel experience. Going on a cruise of the Panama Canal in two weeks...

How kind of you to reduce my experience and what I have shared here as 'baiting'. I am not sure what being busy, or being a Dr or nurse has to do with the price of tea in china, but whatever. If you enjoy cruising then bully for you. Never have I said, or even thought, that my view was the only view, or even the correct one. I don't claim to be an average or typical or even normal consumer.

I get that some would not view staying in a small apartment and doing for themselves as a 'vacation" and that's fine too. That's what we like, you may not. Try it sometime, you might be surprised by the depth of experience you have when you immerse yourself, even for a short time, in a community. Or not, perhaps you will find it doesn't suit you after all, and then you will know. As we now know that cruising the big ships doesn't suit us.

And do you know what? If you come back from a week in Venice or Paris (or wherever interests you) and tell me you hated every minute of the trip and staying in the apartment didn't feel like a vacation at all and you are never doing that again, I promise to appreciate that you tried something new in a thoughtful way and discovered it didn't suit you and not take it as a reflection on me personally.

Oddly, Amsterdam isn't even on the short list of places to visit... We travel most often in the winter to avoid the crowds and the winter in Amsterdam would be cold, so it's pretty far down my list...

To everyone else, thanks for the thoughtful, kind words, encouragement, patience and understanding.

Travel is always broadening, and the day in Ketchikan was magical with kayaking and flight-seeing, and the whale watching in Hoonah was amazing, we won't ever forget it. And with out all the advice I got here I would not have known who to book with or how to arrange it. ; -)

Panama is a wonderful country. The view of the ships up on Gatun Lake is beautiful, and the odd scale always made me feel as if the big ships looked like bathtub toys, floating on the serene lake waters. And transiting the locks is fascinating. I loved living there, in part because it was SO warm ; -)

Edited by sarafinadh

Sara,

IMHO, Amsterdam should find its way back on your short list. When I worked in the North Sea I flew in and out of Schiphol airport every month and always cleared customs for a quick train ride into Amsterdam to relax before a long flight. Plenty of free bicycles for you to use at the train station.

JMO but I think the worst part of this trip is going to be those first 3 days. For me the very thought of 3 days of bus trips with "the herd" would have me seeking desperately for a doctor with a very friendly prescription pad! This is where your patience will be tested. Is there any way that you can opt out of this portion of the trip? I hate to be such a downer when everyone else is being so helpful but from reading your posts I just don't see this as being something that you're going to end up enjoying. Can you tolerated it for the sake of family harmony? Sure, but I'm pretty certain this is going to live down to your expectations. But try to leave that experience behind you at the pier so it doesn't taint the rest of the trip.

I've found (in my limited experience) the ships themselves to be very relaxing. Reading and chatting with others. On our cruise to Alaska I enjoyed talking with the rangers onboard and we had some very interesting guest lecturers. We generally don't go on any excursions and just find one or two things in each port that we'd like to see. We wait for the mad dash ashore to be over and then go off at our leisure. Yes you do have to be back at a set time but if you don't try to cram to much in at each port it's really not an issue.

If you can make it through those first few days I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the actual cruising part of your trip.

Best of luck to you!

Oh yeah if there is any way you can manage it get a balcony cabin. It's an essential for me as I really need to know I have a little place I can retreat to when the need arises.

Thank you Sea42.....this has been on my mind since I saw the itinerary, you are going to be double-thrilled to get on the ship after all of the pre-tours, just too structured, running for buses, even riding buses, makes me crazy.

The more you plan, the more disappointments - come home with what you missed or didn't see.

We have sailed on the Milenium, charming atmosphere with great decor. There are little "cubbys" by the windows to curl up in to read or just watch the sea. Also, there is a cool "tower" in the library with windows, I rarely saw anyone up there - maybe because it was so well hidden?

Have a great cruise, get on the beautiful ship, unpack, and UNWIND!

Sheila (S.F. Bay Area Native)

• 1 year later...

So, a small update on the reluctant cruiser ; -)

Recently I took a short 4 night Mexican cruise. I figured forewarned is fore armed and thought I would be 'able to manage' a few days cruise without a nervous breakdown.

Yesterday at breakfast we were giving the family the after action report and while we were discussing how pleasant it had been, and how relaxed we had felt and how surprised I was, my husband pointed out that I had pretty much spent the entire time on the boat outside, mostly on an adult only aft deck. I had soaked in the spas and lounged on the deck chairs, read and napped and gotten up to watch the whales and dolphins and sea lions and birds that were often around the ship.

Where as on the first cruise, to Alaska, I had been completely indoors while on the ship. It was just too cold for me to be out on the decks.

I don't ever expect to be an avid cruiser, and the food on this cruse was as dismal was the first one, and debarkation was a nightmare, but I did enjoy it over all, and I wonder how much more I might have liked the Alaska trip had it been to somewhere warm, instead.

For a trip that unplugs a Type A guy from the internet, email, texting, cell phone service, so that HE actually takes time off and leaves business behind, cruising in WARM waters has some good things to offer. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I am glad you ended up trying a cruise. We are attempting to get my father in law on one as we feel it is a good vacation for our three generations. He says he hates cruising but has never been. He is basing this opinion on his experiences in the U.S. Navy. I have told him that he should bite at the chance to spend time with a family who wants him there. Even if he does end up deciding that cruising isn't for him so what...it's one week. On vacation. How bad could it be?