How formal is the Canelleto on formal nights?

tangerinebunny

I know that the Canelleto is near the Lido, which is the place to eat informally on formal nights.

And I also know that guests are asked to dress formally on formal nights even when not in the MDR.

So, how formal is the Canelleto on formal nights?

Do we dress 'up' or 'down'?

It's a junior high moment - I just want to look like the other kids at my table.

You will see various dress at the Canaletto on formal nights. On my Alaska cruise, some did dress in their formal wear on the formal nights. However, it is not required for dining in the Canaletto as it is in the MDR. There was a mixture of smart casual and formal dress on the nights I dined there. It is possible it varies from ship to ship or itinerary to itinerary. However, that was my experience on my Alaska cruise.

Sweetie & I just came back from the Eurodam. The Canelleto is actually IN the Lido, not near it. The chef at the pasta station cooks the food to order. The area is separated, with better service, but I can't say the food is anything better than what is served to the rest of the folks. As for dressing up, there was everything from slacks and polos to nice dresses. I didn't see anything fancier than a sports coat. The really gorgeous clothes were going to the Rembrandt Main Dining Room or the steak specialty restaurant.

Hope this review helps. Have fun on your cruise!

... The chef at the pasta station cooks the food to order. The area is separated, with better service, but I can't say the food is anything better than what is served to the rest of the folks..

I don't know where the food is prepared, but it is not the same food as the lido pasta station. My daughter finds the Canaletto's vegetarian entree, vodka penne, too spicy. We tried to talk them into bringing her something from the lido pasta station, but "no". They finally agreed to use the sauce from there.

...... As for dressing up, there was everything from slacks and polos to nice dresses. I didn't see anything fancier than a sports coat. The really gorgeous clothes were going to the Rembrandt Main Dining Room or the steak specialty restaurant.
That pretty well sums up our experience on the Amsterdam too. Most who ate there on formal nights did so to avoid needing to dress up for the main dining room.

A few men wore a sport coat, but most of the people there just wore the same type of clothing they would wear to the dining room on the non-formal nights.

Just got back, ate there 3 times.

I saw formal, I saw smart casual. I did not see shorts, T shirts or Polos, or jeans (either casual or dress jeans)

I did see nice dockers and silk shirts on the last night. That was the most casual I saw.

Canaletto is a fantastic place to eat, I could care less if it is in the Lido. When you sit there, you do not feel as if you are in the Lido at all. Try it out. We order penne ala vodka with chicken and garlic, lasagna with alfredo, linguine with chicken, garlic and shrimp, alfredo sauce. If they have the sauces and noodles available, they will make it. Its definately not what they are serving at the buffet.

The management is spectacular.

Recently off the Maasdam. HAL doesn't appear to be enforcing ANY dress codes in any venue. I observed many men with no jackets or tie, MDR, formal night. One guy I saw had on jeans, a wrinkled open neck shirt and a jacket. I think HAL should either enforce the code or drop it. As it is, it's irritating. Just saying...

I know that the Canelleto is near the Lido, which is the place to eat informally on formal nights.

And I also know that guests are asked to dress formally on formal nights even when not in the MDR.

So, how formal is the Canelleto on formal nights?

Do we dress 'up' or 'down'?

It's a junior high moment - I just want to look like the other kids at my table.

The dress for the Canaletto on formal nights is smart dress casual, the same as for the Lido! ;)

Recently off the Maasdam. HAL doesn't appear to be enforcing ANY dress codes in any venue. I observed many men with no jackets or tie, MDR, formal night. One guy I saw had on jeans, a wrinkled open neck shirt and a jacket. I think HAL should either enforce the code or drop it. As it is, it's irritating. Just saying...

I totally agree.

We went to the Canaletto and we were in smart casual (at least so we thought) but there people sitting nearby in shorts. It did not bother us at all, it might have if it was the Pinnacle, but not the Canaletto. Evening was a success.

We ate in Canaletto on Ryndam last month and the food - I had the zuppa di pesce and the cod puttanesca - was delicious, nothing like Lido food. We saw no one in formal dress, nor anyone in shorts. The level of service was exceptional - if you're on Ryndam, don't miss Canaletto, if only for the great crew that works there.

We ate in Canaletto on Ryndam last month and the food - I had the zuppa di pesce and the cod puttanesca - was delicious, nothing like Lido food. We saw no one in formal dress, nor anyone in shorts. The level of service was exceptional - if you're on Ryndam, don't miss Canaletto, if only for the great crew that works there.

Sorry to ask such a "newbie" question..but do you need to make reservations for Canaletto? I can't seem to find anything listed on HAL website. Thanks!

SO excited for our first cruise :D

We're going on the Maasdam in a few weeks, and very much appreciate the (lack of) dress report.

Wendy

Sorry to ask such a "newbie" question..but do you need to make reservations for Canaletto? I can't seem to find anything listed on HAL website. Thanks!

SO excited for our first cruise :D

You can make reservations for the Canaletto up to three days in advance. A lot is going to depend on your sailing. On my cruise there was no problem getting seated without a reservation and we went at different times. Not once did we have to wait. However, I have read of others who were unable to eat at the Canaletto because it was fully booked. If you really want to eat there on a particular night, I suggest making reservations.

We tried to make reservations for CAnaletto on a formal night just last week because my daughter didn't have formal wear and were told the dress code there was formal, also. Therefore we just ordered room service and had a VERY nice dinner in our suite.

We tried to make reservations for CAnaletto on a formal night just last week because my daughter didn't have formal wear and were told the dress code there was formal, also. Therefore we just ordered room service and had a VERY nice dinner in our suite.

Well, I would have challenged that statement! ;) In my view, you were misinformed! :mad:

Well, I would have challenged that statement! ;) In my view, you were misinformed! :mad:
In my view you are misinformed. On formal nights, the dress code is the same for the entire ship, not just the MDR. Perhaps they were misled because the dress code is not enforced in the Canaletto, but whoever told them the code was formal was correct.

Sorry to ask such a "newbie" question..but do you need to make reservations for Canaletto?

Yes, you do though at times the maître d' will seat someone without a reservation if they have space. That is at least what happened to me on Eurodam in January when after seeing a half empty Canaletto I asked if there was a possibility a solo diner could try the Canaletto without a reservation and within a minute was seated. :)

In my view you are misinformed. On formal nights, the dress code is the same for the entire ship, not just the MDR. Perhaps they were misled because the dress code is not enforced in the Canaletto, but whoever told them the code was formal was correct.

Just who is misinformed here?:confused: If the dress code is formal for the entire ship on so-called formal nights, why do the pro-formal people on these boards always try to banish those who are not dressed formally to the Lido?

On the Oosterdam last month on formal night in the Canaletto, we saw dressed up and dressed down. Smart casual is fine.

That's how it was on the Zaandam on formal night too. My DH and I were dressed for formal night but smart casual seemed to be the norm in Canaletto that night. Whatever, everyone looked very nice.... and no jeans:D

Just who is misinformed here? If the dress code is formal for the entire ship on so-called formal nights, why do the pro-formal people on these boards always try to banish those who are not dressed formally to the Lido?

HAL's policy does not say that just the main dining room is formal, but it is common knowledge that it is not enforced in the Lido or Canaletto.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per seven days and three formal nights per ten days. Formal wear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit http://www.cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your stateroom when you board. In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

For your information, the dress code in the Calaletto, for dinner, on formal night, is the SAME as for the Lido, of which the Canaletto is a part; SMART DRESS CASUAL! ;)

Archived