Have you seen how much NCL has Cutback?

cruiser4801

I comment because my experience, while several years ago, seems to be supported by a ton of more recent cruisers. Therefore, there is a relavent connection that says not much has changed for the better over a signficant period of time. In other words, there is a consistent pattern of mediocrity that is not just a coincidence. Once again, I'm sorry that this may upset you. But it does seem to be a view that is supported by many people over a very long period of time.

Can you give me some specifics about what you did not care for? Food not served at appropriate temperature? Not prepared to your liking, e.g. overcooked beef?, slow dinign room service, etc? I ask only because I actually am interested in what you did not care for--not making any judgements. I want to compare notes for when we travel on NCL this December. I am hoping that my opinion will be different than yours.

Can you give me some specifics about what you did not care for? Food not served at appropriate temperature? Not prepared to your liking, e.g. overcooked beef?, slow dinign room service, etc? I ask only because I actually am interested in what you did not care for--not making any judgements. I want to compare notes for when we travel on NCL this December. I am hoping that my opinion will be different than yours.

I truly hope your experience is different than mine. And it might well be. DW and I were disappointed in the overall quality of the food -- it wasn't lousy, but it was lacklustre. For example, soups were lacking in flavor. Steaks were not tender. Eggplant we ordered one night was dried up. What they called a souflee was actually more like a muffin. We adjusted our expectations and still enjoyed the cruise . After all, being at sea is always better than being on shore. However, we sailed on a number of other mass market lines afterwards and decided we enjoyed them more. We also have a number of friends who have recently tried NCL and have not come back with glowing reports. This is why we have not returned to NCL. We do hope to return one day once we hear more positive reviews. Maybe your review will be the one that inspires us to give NCL another try. However, whatever you say about your experience, I promise not to attack you for it!

I truly hope your experience is different than mine. And it might well be. DW and I were disappointed in the overall quality of the food -- it wasn't lousy, but it was lacklustre. For example, soups were lacking in flavor. Steaks were not tender. Eggplant we ordered one night was dried up. What they called a souflee was actually more like a muffin. We adjusted our expectations and still enjoyed the cruise . After all, being at sea is always better than being on shore. However, we sailed on a number of other mass market lines afterwards and decided we enjoyed them more. We also have a number of friends who have recently tried NCL and have not come back with glowing reports. This is why we have not returned to NCL. We do hope to return one day once we hear more positive reviews. Maybe your review will be the one that inspires us to give NCL another try. However, whatever you say about your experience, I promise not to attack you for it!

The manner in which you describe the food--"lacklustre" is about how I would describe most of the food I have had on cruises. I don't recall any bad meals, but nothing is really memorable to me either. Your dried up eggplant sounds worse than lacklustre though. Yuck. Have you sailed Princess? Did you like the food there better than NCL? Thanks for the response.

There are loads of great reviews in this forum, there's a Sky review right up your alley from a man whose friends told them they heard something bad about NCL, so he'd never sailed them before. A lot of the negativity comes from people who haven't sailed NCL or haven't sailed in years.

I have 4 cruises booked this year, just switched an RCI one for NCL because its a better cruise experience. My worst by far was an RCI, food and presentation were very poor, and you're limited to dining venues so can't really escape it. I now have 4 booked on NCL. I was on the Epic in September, the food was great.

You should know by now that there are those who are never happy and they are the loudest. You can see on this forum that one woman claimed to have

spent 3 days in her room crying because her GTY balcony ended up having a steel railing. Impossible to please, and the loudest about their displeasure. I'm glad I don't live my life that way.

The manner in which you describe the food--"lacklustre" is about how I would describe most of the food I have had on cruises. I don't recall any bad meals, but nothing is really memorable to me either. Your dried up eggplant sounds worse than lacklustre though. Yuck. Have you sailed Princess? Did you like the food there better than NCL? Thanks for the response.

Good food is an important part of our lifestyle, and therefore we put more emphasis on it than perhaps some other people do. I realize it is a subjective issue, but for our money, we prefer Princess, RCI and Celebrity in the mass market category. Just our opinion. We occasionally cruise with the luxury lines where the food is better than mass market. But it also costs a lot more. Some people will disagree with me -- I respect that.

There are loads of great reviews in this forum, there's a Sky review right up your alley from a man whose friends told them they heard something bad about NCL, so he'd never sailed them before. A lot of the negativity comes from people who haven't sailed NCL or haven't sailed in years.

I have 4 cruises booked this year, just switched an RCI one for NCL because its a better cruise experience. My worst by far was an RCI, food and presentation were very poor, and you're limited to dining venues so can't really escape it. I now have 4 booked on NCL. I was on the Epic in September, the food was great.

You should know by now that there are those who are never happy and they are the loudest. You can see on this forum that one woman claimed to have

spent 3 days in her room crying because her GTY balcony ended up having a steel railing. Impossible to please, and the loudest about their displeasure. I'm glad I don't live my life that way.

Glad to hear you have enjoyed your cruises with NCL. You are obviously not alone. I respect your opinion. Mine is different. I hope you can respect that too. We are not difficult to please. We have only hand a few negative experiences in 55 cruises. We plan to take many more cruises in the years ahead. If I hear from enough nice people like you, I will be motivated to give NCL another try.

Yes, as I clearly mentioned in my post (I guess you didn't comprehend that sentence), I have not sailed with NCL in some time. However, if the food was that bad 8 years ago, and many people on this thread and others claim it has not improved (or gotten worse), why would I want to spend my hard-earned cash to give it another try? As you may or may not have understood from looking at my signature block, I have tried most of the major cruise lines in the world multiple times (55 to be exact). I think that gives me a valid point of comparison. And the comparison clearly says that food on NCL is below par.

Obviously I comprehended your post, as I did not make any mistake in interpreting it. It was just difficult to believe that someone could say what you did under those circumstances. So, I want to thank you for again confirming my point...you had no basis to make your statement based on recent firsthand experience.

By the way, thanks for resorting to a personal insult. It shows how interested you are in having an adult-level discussion.

Let me test my math skills. A ton of recent cruisers at an average weight of 200 lbs would total TEN. Since NCL ships carry over two THOUSAND guests every cruise, that does not convert to MANY PEOPLE as you state. Can you please clarify your statement, or is it just negative diatribe ???

Oh well let the complainers gripe. Who will it hurt? Not me! Not you either;)

When you look at all the ships and all the itineraries and all the thousands of people who sail each week.... including those who are currently on cruises even as I type this....Cruise Critic message boards is a true minority.

Add that an "unhappy with the NCL food" poster hasn't cruised NCL in years, and believes what a 'ton of others' say, what does that tell you? Not much. Even if it was 100 complainers a month. 1000! BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!

Its virtually impossible to please every one. They write song lyrics and poetry about it. Books and movies. Many people truly enjoy complaining.

We all have people in our own personal circle of life that do it all the time. Its all good. There will always be happy people waiting to board. Week after week. That's why they have to keep redesigning and building more ships and making port improvements.

Its all opinions, good and bad, including the statements that other lines have better food and dining options.

These comments are HUMOROUS!!!!! I'm having a great time reading this thread! I say to myself, Oh I hope there's more....But I think this one is about to crash.

And if commodore tries to insinuate I can't comprehend anything either...the reason I won't be responding is because I don't feel like it:)

Commodore you should make your own judgements instead of waiting for nice people like SuiteCruiser to do it for you. Will you only cruise a certain line if a few other posters like it and give favorable personal opinions? That's weird.

Obviously I comprehended your post, as I did not make any mistake in interpreting it. It was just difficult to believe that someone could say what you did under those circumstances. So, I want to thank you for again confirming my point...you had no basis to make your statement based on recent firsthand experience.

By the way, thanks for resorting to a personal insult. It shows how interested you are in having an adult-level discussion.

OK then. We interpreted his post the same way. I was thinking that I was alone on an island of disbelief.

The one most glaring omission I have found in these "food complaint" threads is did the person give the waitstaff the opportunity to correct a food problem, and did the waitstaff refused to correct it? Without exception, this information is not posted because it probably didn't happen.

Therefore, I tend to believe the poster is simply trying to damage the future business of the cruise line by posting complaints about something that could have been easily rectified at the time it occurred.

This applies not only to NCL, but to all cruise lines.

The one most glaring omission I have found in these "food complaint" threads is did the person give the waitstaff the opportunity to correct a food problem, and did the waitstaff refused to correct it? Without exception, this information is not posted because it probably didn't happen.

Thats a good point but I will give it a new twist if you don't mind. I have lived long enough to know that crap happens in every business that I may deal with and lean more towards rolling with the punches. From product to employees.

When I read something happened (negatively) or in this case a "food complaint". I am really more interested in how it was dealt with than the complaint itself. How it was dealt with to me is far more important because it shows me that if something like that happened, would I be satisfied with the end result? Everyone of course satisfies differently and therefore what might be a good solution for you may not be for me. But it does arm me with the information I require to make a more informed decision.

Now in saying that if the poster appears to be an exaggerator "inedible", or blanket statements something like "was rude" without an explanation of how they were rude. Then knowing the solution probably wouldn't have me taking much stock in it anyway. Again what is deemed rude by one, may not be deemed rude by me.

I don't expect the same quality of food on mass market lines that I get on luxury lines, but I do expect lines with similar pricing to be comparable with each other. In that respect, we have not sailed with NCL for a very long time because our last experience with them was very disappointing. We may have been unlucky in that the ship we were on was just having a bad stretch. But our experience with other mass market lines have been better, and based on this thread, it doesn't sound like NCL is getting any better. In fact, it sounds like they are getting worse.

I notice you are listing your favorite cruise lines as those that are very high end, with the exception of RCI and Princess. Even Princess is considered a step up (thought I am not quite sure why) so you don't seem to be judging apples and apples. when did you cruise NCL and what ship? Were you unlucky, who knows. Cruising, not just food but everything is subjective. If you don't want to go casual, like the more formal atmosphere, and do want the best in food in the MDR, no, NCL isn't going to work for you. If you are willing to spend a little more on food and like variety, want really good buffets (if there is such a thing) and like to do your own thing, NCL is the best. It is based, totally on what makes a good vacation in your mind.

NIta

Do you eat out much? :eek:

That's pretty much depression food. I'll hit the buffet.

and have you eaten in Le Bistro and do you think mac and cheese or meatloaf ares the choices of the day on NCL or any line? We just got off Princess, they also offer both. They called it "down home selestion" or something like that and they had a different choice everynight, along with the prime rib, fish, lamb, etc.

Just because something is offered doesn't mean it is the only choice.

NIta

I notice you are listing your favorite cruise lines as those that are very high end, with the exception of RCI and Princess. Even Princess is considered a step up (thought I am not quite sure why) so you don't seem to be judging apples and apples. when did you cruise NCL and what ship? Were you unlucky, who knows. Cruising, not just food but everything is subjective. If you don't want to go casual, like the more formal atmosphere, and do want the best in food in the MDR, no, NCL isn't going to work for you. If you are willing to spend a little more on food and like variety, want really good buffets (if there is such a thing) and like to do your own thing, NCL is the best. It is based, totally on what makes a good vacation in your mind.

NIta

I noticed the same thing in his .sig... Good counterpoint, Nita. Everyone's got an opinion, but it seemed a bit misleading of commodoredave to state the various cruiselines served the same clientele and price points.

No one gets everything they want in a cruise, as it isn't our ship. *shrug* I personally would love the itinerary of a long HAL cruise with the Haven cabins... and I know that won't happen any time soon!!!

I also agree completely. And why would I try NCL again when I might have a one in 3 or 4 chance of getting good food? The odds are much better on other mass market lines. Why take the chance with NCL?

sorry, I have to disagree with you: well, I agree you probably should not try NCL, you are already too biased, but as I have mentioned, we have been on 3 different lines in the past 12 months, one offered great dinner entrees, lousey buffets and breakfasts, one offered great alternative dining and buffets, not so good MDR eating and the third didn't offer anything that stands out in our minds as really good, or really bad. Oh, I do always wonder, if someone is not cruising a particular line, does not intend to and can't think of anything positive to say about the line why would they hang out on the lines forum?

Nita

sorry, I have to disagree with you: well, I agree you probably should not try NCL, you are already too biased, but as I have mentioned, we have been on 3 different lines in the past 12 months, one offered great dinner entrees, lousey buffets and breakfasts, one offered great alternative dining and buffets, not so good MDR eating and the third didn't offer anything that stands out in our minds as really good, or really bad. Oh, I do always wonder, if someone is not cruising a particular line, does not intend to and can't think of anything positive to say about the line why would they hang out on the lines forum?

Nita

Nita, I tend to watch the Disney and HAL forums out of a sense that "hope springs eternal"... I probably won't cruise on them any time soon, but I like to watch them for innovative ideas and to read the reviews.

Same reason I peruse the Silverseas and Residensea forums... Curiosity and boredom while waiting on my next NCL cruise. I know NCL suits me better, but I have no compunction to stay put on specific forums.

As you can probably tell, I find your line of arguing a bit specious... It's a public message forum, and trolls are just as welcome as cheerleaders on every forum. If you find yourself disagreeing with someone more than you feel comfortable, make use of the ignore option (as the admins advise.)

NIta

I was asked by a poster to list my favorite mass-market lines. I agree that Celebrity is a little more expensive than the others. If you are saying that NCL is not in the same league as RCI and Princess and therefore should not be compared to them, I find that surprising. However, I certainly agree with you that opinions about cruising are subjective, and that a good vacation will be measured differently by various people.

Nita, I tend to watch the Disney and HAL forums out of a sense that "hope springs eternal"... I probably won't cruise on them any time soon, but I like to watch them for innovative ideas and to read the reviews.

Same reason I peruse the Silverseas and Residensea forums... Curiosity and boredom while waiting on my next NCL cruise. I know NCL suits me better, but I have no compunction to stay put on specific forums.

As you can probably tell, I find your line of arguing a bit specious... It's a public message forum, and trolls are just as welcome as cheerleaders on every forum. If you find yourself disagreeing with someone more than you feel comfortable, make use of the ignore option (as the admins advise.)

Lurking is one thing, commenting, mostly negative is quite another...Yes, it is public, no TROLLS are not welcome on any forum regardless, but I did say, nor do I think Commodore is a TROLL> Maybe you do not understand or think of a TROLL in a different way than I do.

I was asked by a poster to list my favorite mass-market lines. I agree that Celebrity is a little more expensive than the others. If you are saying that NCL is not in the same league as RCI and Princess and therefore should not be compared to them, I find that surprising. However, I certainly agree with you that opinions about cruising are subjective, and that a good vacation will be measured differently by various people.

I absluletely never said RCI was not the same class or catagory as NCL. Actually, in the Travel Agency business Princess is in a different catagory, but RCI is the same as NCL . I do wonder why Princess is a step up, again this is from personal experience only.

Nita

You seem to be suggesting that this thread is only for people who want to be cheerleaders for NCL.

If you go back and reread my comments, they have hardly been damning. I made it clear from the outset that I had not cruised with NCL in a while. I simiply stated that based upon my experience with NCL some time ago (and comments from friends who have recently cruised with NCL), I felt the food wasn't as good as I had enjoyed on other mass market lines. That's it. I have not criticized anything else about NCL. They have many good things going for them. In fact I said I would try them again if the reviews get better. In return, I have been told I have no business posting on this thread, that I am disgusting, that I have ulterior motives, etc.

So I guess this thread really is just for cheerleaders.

You seem to be suggesting that this thread is only for people who want to be cheerleaders for NCL.

If you go back and reread my comments, they have hardly been damning. I made it clear from the outset that I had not cruised with NCL in a while. I simiply stated that based upon my experience with NCL some time ago (and comments from friends who have recently cruised with NCL), I felt the food wasn't as good as I had enjoyed on other mass market lines. That's it. I have not criticized anything else about NCL. They have many good things going for them. In fact I said I would try them again if the reviews get better. In return, I have been told I have no business posting on this thread, that I am disgusting, that I have ulterior motives, etc.

So I guess this thread really is just for cheerleaders.

absolutely not, but I do question someone who doesn't intend to ever use a service and chooses to find nothing positive to say about the product. Now you are saying they have good things going for them, but that certainly isn't the impression you have given in the past. As I said, everyone has his nitch and there is a right and a wrong line for everyone. What works for me may not work for someone else. I have both friends and clients that have sailed Crystal, needless to say, money isn't an issue but they hated the line. For them, the overall attitude of those who cruise Crystal and how they fit in did not match their life style. I know others that will only cruise every few years because they do not have a lot of money and their line of choice is Celeberity. They save so they can cruise in balcony cabin. They would be miserable on NCL.

What I am getting at is:1-if you really have no intention of cruising a particular line why bother to make comments?

2-If you haven't cruised that line for years, you can't judge the food, then crew or anything else about it. Constructive criticism is what most of us want and expect, criticism is not pertantent serves no purpose. I didn't read any responses that said you were discusting or had ulterior motives. I guess I missed those comments.

NIta

absolutely not, but I do question someone who doesn't intend to ever use a service and chooses to find nothing positive to say about the product. Now you are saying they have good things going for them, but that certainly isn't the impression you have given in the past. As I said, everyone has his nitch and there is a right and a wrong line for everyone. What works for me may not work for someone else. I have both friends and clients that have sailed Crystal, needless to say, money isn't an issue but they hated the line. For them, the overall attitude of those who cruise Crystal and how they fit in did not match their life style. I know others that will only cruise every few years because they do not have a lot of money and their line of choice is Celeberity. They save so they can cruise in balcony cabin. They would be miserable on NCL.

What I am getting at is:1-if you really have no intention of cruising a particular line why bother to make comments?

2-If you haven't cruised that line for years, you can't judge the food, then crew or anything else about it. Constructive criticism is what most of us want and expect, criticism is not pertantent serves no purpose. I didn't read any responses that said you were discusting or had ulterior motives. I guess I missed those comments.

NIta

1. I have said several times I would cruise NCL again if there reviews improve, including in the post below.

2. I have pasted below below an example of the type of comment I was referring to (I have removed the poster's name, but you can find it if you look back):

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodoredave

I would gladly sail with NCL again once their reviews improve. Until then, I will continue to provide my opinion on NCL relative to other mass market lines I have sailed with. Sorry if this upsets you. But that's what free speech is all about.

"I am not upset. Disgusted is a more appropriate word.

This CC board is a very good source of information for those seeking valid information until those with limited mental capacity try to use it as a playground."

3. I have actually defended NCL in the past on other threads when I thought the level of attack against them was over the top as you will see if you go to the following post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1313435&page=3

So to sum up, I fully disclosed up front that I had not sailed with NCL in quite a while. I made a mildly critical comment about one aspect of NCL -- the food. I said I was sorry if this comment upset people. I said I would sail again with NCL if the reviews improve. I have said in the past that many people love NCL.

However, time to move on as this is getting a bit tedious for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to explain your position.

Archived