Have you seen how much NCL has Cutback?

cruiser4801

The food is always dependent on the Executive Chef that is in charge. On our Spirit cruise early this year the food was mediocre and some was downright not good. A few months later on the Pearl the food was spectacular. So, I would suggest going and generating your own impressions and not rely on peoples comments here on a public forum. NCL does have more than its fair share of detractors, some of which I believe have never set foot on an NCL ship.

While I agree the Exec Chef is important, don't you think that there would be some consistnecy of dining between ships on the same line? I would imagine NCL (and all lines) must have a "corporate Exccutive Chef" who helsp to establish menus, sets parameters on food budget, etc. I can't imagine that any business with mulitple "outlets" (e.g. cruise ships in NCL's case) would want a large degree of variance between their ships. I would think that they want to proivde the consumer with some certainty as to what they can expect when the board any NCL ship---they don't want it to be a crap shoot for the customer so to speak.

I have sailed on several Princess ships, and we can argue all day about if the food was "good", but I am pretty certain most people would say the food was consistent---you could have blindfolded me, put me in a Princess dining room, and I would not have any idea what ship I was on based upon the food, as it was seemingly identical on each ship I was on. I guess where I am going is that, I will probably not hesitate to make a generalization about all of NCL's food based upon our first cruise coming this December on the Epic. If it is great, that would be one thing that would draw me back to NCL; not so great, one thing that might make me reconsider going back to NCL.

NCL is odd duck--people seem to have far more divergent views about their experiences on NCL ships than on most other lines. That is not neccesarily a bad thing, but when I read reviews of Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, etc. they all have their supporters and detractors. But, in my opinion, the variance between the best and worst reviews/opinons is not as great than what you find with NCL.

The food is always dependent on the Executive Chef that is in charge. On our Spirit cruise early this year the food was mediocre and some was downright not good. A few months later on the Pearl the food was spectacular. So, I would suggest going and generating your own impressions and not rely on peoples comments here on a public forum. NCL does have more than its fair share of detractors, some of which I believe have never set foot on an NCL ship.

I could not agree more. Same provisions from the same supplier to all ships. What happens after that makes all the difference. Rohit Dimri on the Pearl and his team turned out great food. Head and shoulders over the Star that was very good most of the time. Having been on both ships in the last month I was able to compare essential the same menus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I challenge you to find a better cut of beef anywhere at any price than the tenderloin in Le Bistro. It is the BEST !!!

I am also very pleased with the New York steak in the MDR. Tender and cooked to my liking.

Do you eat out much? :eek:

Meatloaf. Mac and cheese.

Might as well just eat at the buffet and save the effort of putting on shoes.

That's pretty much depression food. I'll hit the buffet.

While I agree the Exec Chef is important, don't you think that there would be some consistnecy of dining between ships on the same line? I would imagine NCL (and all lines) must have a "corporate Exccutive Chef" who helsp to establish menus, sets parameters on food budget, etc. I can't imagine that any business with mulitple "outlets" (e.g. cruise ships in NCL's case) would want a large degree of variance between their ships. I would think that they want to proivde the consumer with some certainty as to what they can expect when the board any NCL ship---they don't want it to be a crap shoot for the customer so to speak.

I have sailed on several Princess ships, and we can argue all day about if the food was "good", but I am pretty certain most people would say the food was consistent---you could have blindfolded me, put me in a Princess dining room, and I would not have any idea what ship I was on based upon the food, as it was seemingly identical on each ship I was on. I guess where I am going is that, I will probably not hesitate to make a generalization about all of NCL's food based upon our first cruise coming this December on the Epic. If it is great, that would be one thing that would draw me back to NCL; not so great, one thing that might make me reconsider going back to NCL.

NCL is odd duck--people seem to have far more divergent views about their experiences on NCL ships than on most other lines. That is not neccesarily a bad thing, but when I read reviews of Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, etc. they all have their supporters and detractors. But, in my opinion, the variance between the best and worst reviews/opinons is not as great than what you find with NCL.

I also agree completely. And why would I try NCL again when I might have a one in 3 or 4 chance of getting good food? The odds are much better on other mass market lines. Why take the chance with NCL?

I also agree completely. And why would I try NCL again when I might have a one in 3 or 4 chance of getting good food? The odds are much better on other mass market lines. Why take the chance with NCL?

Because for the most part NCL food is as good or better in some cases as other mass market lines.

And the last time you were on NCL was when? Based on the cruise history in your signature block, it's been many years, so you really have zero current firsthand information to draw that conclusion.

And the last time you were on NCL was when? Based on the cruise history in your signature block, it's been many years, so you really have zero current firsthand information to draw that conclusion.

I am with you 100%. I don't get it. Why do people constanly do this? Don't give your opinion on something you haven't experienced. Most of the NCL bashers have never stepped foot on their ships, "my uncle's neighbour's son said it was really bad!"

This kind of talk almost scared me off of trying NCL several years back and they couldn't have been more wrong. I was hooked.

I would imagine NCL (and all lines) must have a "corporate Exccutive Chef" who helsp to establish menus, sets parameters on food budget, etc.
NCL did something similar a few years ago when they moved Klaus Lugmaier to the position of Corporate Hotel Director, and it proved to be very beneficial fleetwide. I thought I had heard they were doing the same thing with Colin Hudson in the Executive Chef position. I will try to verify this.

The thing that concerns me the most is that it seems like NCL is pricing itself out of my reach. Looking ahead to 2013 (dreaming, but still:)) NCL is double what a competitor charges for similar accomodations/itineraries. I ended up with the Pride for next year because it's hundreds less than anything NCL has out of NYC at the same time. I guess only time will tell.

The thing that concerns me the most is that it seems like NCL is pricing itself out of my reach. Looking ahead to 2013 (dreaming, but still:)) NCL is double what a competitor charges for similar accomodations/itineraries. I ended up with the Pride for next year because it's hundreds less than anything NCL has out of NYC at the same time. I guess only time will tell.

Sorry Sparks --- I couldn't resist !!!!:D I found this in my email this morning.

$31+/nt: NCL Cruises – Lowest Rate Guarantee

Sorry Sparks --- I couldn't resist !!!!:D I found this in my email this morning.

$31+/nt: NCL Cruises – Lowest Rate Guarantee

Oh, I know that one can find low rates but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of choosing when I cruise. When I compare cruises that sail when I can NCL is coming out significantly more expensive and that concerns me. I mean, what if all the bad things they say about CCL are true?:eek::D

Because for the most part NCL food is as good or better in some cases as other mass market lines.

I have to respectively disagree with you. In my opinion (and apparently lots of other people on this thread), NCL has an inconsistent quality of food that is below the level of other mass market lines. Now, if you compare their food with that served on a Russian cargo ship, you might be right!

Yes, as I clearly mentioned in my post (I guess you didn't comprehend that sentence), I have not sailed with NCL in some time. However, if the food was that bad 8 years ago, and many people on this thread and others claim it has not improved (or gotten worse), why would I want to spend my hard-earned cash to give it another try? As you may or may not have understood from looking at my signature block, I have tried most of the major cruise lines in the world multiple times (55 to be exact). I think that gives me a valid point of comparison. And the comparison clearly says that food on NCL is below par.

Yes, as I clearly mentioned in my post (I guess you didn't comprehend that sentence), I have not sailed with NCL in some time. However, if the food was that bad 8 years ago, and many people on this thread and others claim it has not improved (or gotten worse), why would I want to spend my hard-earned cash to give it another try? As you may or may not have understood from looking at my signature block, I have tried most of the major cruise lines in the world multiple times (55 to be exact). I think that gives me a valid point of comparison. And the comparison clearly says that food on NCL is below par.

So you have not sailed NCL in a dogs age.

You do not plan to sail NCL

Are you just here to stir up ship???

So you have not sailed NCL in a dogs age.

You do not plan to sail NCL

Are you just here to stir up ship???

Nice to see your comprehension level has finally improved once challenged. Obviously you do not want to hear any other view that your own. Very sad, but some folks are like that. I would gladly sail with NCL again if their approval levels on this very board showed improvement. Until then, I will continue cruise with other lines and report on my opinions relative to others. I'm sorry that this upsets you.

I thought the food was really good. Not five star--but who the heck eats five star meals for a week--and if they do it would cost a couple thousand dollars for food alone (21 five star meals??)

So commodore, sorry, I don't agree at all and I have sailed recently (end of September) and several times over past years. And yes there are people not happy. But I am very happy. Why would you even comment if you haven't sailed NCL in years.:confused::confused::confused:

I thought the food was really good. Not five star--but who the heck eats five star meals for a week--and if they do it would cost a couple thousand dollars for food alone (21 five star meals??)

So commodore, sorry, I don't agree at all and I have sailed recently (end of September) and several times over past years. And yes there are people not happy. But I am very happy. Why would you even comment if you haven't sailed NCL in years.:confused::confused::confused:

I comment because my experience, while several years ago, seems to be supported by a ton of more recent cruisers. Therefore, there is a relavent connection that says not much has changed for the better over a signficant period of time. In other words, there is a consistent pattern of mediocrity that is not just a coincidence. Once again, I'm sorry that this may upset you. But it does seem to be a view that is supported by many people over a very long period of time.

I, too, am very happy with all aspects of NCL cruising. I believe Biker is spot on with his assessment of the negative posts. No valid reason for someone to be on this board who has no intention of sailing on NCL and has nothing important to pass on to those who use these boards to glean information.

I comment because my experience, while several years ago, seems to be supported by a ton of more recent cruisers. Therefore, there is a relavent connection that says not much has changed for the better over a signficant period of time. In other words, there is a consistent pattern of mediocrity that is not just a coincidence. Once again, I'm sorry that this may upset you. But it does seem to be a view that is supported by many people over a very long period of time.

Let me test my math skills. A ton of recent cruisers at an average weight of 200 lbs would total TEN. Since NCL ships carry over two THOUSAND guests every cruise, that does not convert to MANY PEOPLE as you state. Can you please clarify your statement, or is it just negative diatribe ???

I, too, am very happy with all aspects of NCL cruising. I believe Biker is spot on with his assessment of the negative posts. No valid reason for someone to be on this board who has no intention of sailing on NCL and has nothing important to pass on to those who use these boards to glean information.

I would gladly sail with NCL again once their reviews improve. Until then, I will continue to provide my opinion on NCL relative to other mass market lines I have sailed with. Sorry if this upsets you. But that's what free speech is all about.

I would gladly sail with NCL again once their reviews improve. Until then, I will continue to provide my opinion on NCL relative to other mass market lines I have sailed with. Sorry if this upsets you. But that's what free speech is all about.

I am not upset. Disgusted is a more appropriate word.

This CC board is a very good source of information for those seeking valid information until those with limited mental capacity try to use it as a playground.

I am not upset. Disgusted is a more appropriate word.

This CC board is a very good source of information for those seeking valid information until those with limited mental capacity try to use it as a playground.

Get a life. There are many valid things to be truly disgusted with in life. A difference of opinion about the quality of food on a cruise line is not one of them.

Archived