Have you seen how much NCL has Cutback?

cruiser4801

On Princess it is the "fixed" dining that often sells out the quickest. Maybe a different demographic of traveller?

I think it's because they only have one dining room for fixed on Princess vs. two for anytime. At least that was the case for the ships I was on, when I was on (some time ago for Princess).:)

You are very right Nita, it all has to do with the demographics of society changing. You don't have to go back many years to remember long dresses being worn to weddings, Christmas parties, New Years parties and any other special parties or events. It wasn't that many years ago that you wouldn't even consider wearing jeans to a wedding or funeral. I remember being told jeans on a lady was inappropriate when traveling on an airplane etc.

As much as most people don't like change and some of us older folks may be set in our ways. Times are changing as they always do, like it or not, that is a fact of life.

and some changes are good. As an Eastern Star (some of you know what that is) we used to always wear the most formal of formals if we were holding any office, now many of the chapters are doing the street dress routine. They may be a little more formal than a bacis business dress, but certainly not like the days even 10 years ago. The airplane example you give really hits home. We used to fly on airline passes and we would never think of wearing jeans, in fact we were not allowed too and again, that isn't all that many years ago.

Jaja, the manners I agree with completely, It really bugs me to see how casual we have become, the dress code, within reason doesn't bother as much. I do think there are styles that are not appropriate in certain places, I do think people should consider how others feel, not have this attitude "it is no one's elses business" but I am not one of those that think Sunday church required dresses or suits, or that only black is appropariate for a furneral.

Maybe we all should just add a few hundred buck to each cruise,Next time C how much it cost to fly some were for 7 day and all inclusive.U get what u pay for,We took R first NCL over halloween on the spirit, I have been on 16 Carnivals and my last carnival to, NCL ROCKS,it was 10 XXX more fun,better staff,and crew,the carnival,and better food ,carnival took the chocolate buffet, but ncl still has there,

Princess offers (as far as I know they still do) two dining options---tradtional, where you dine at the same table/time each evening, and "anytime dining", which is more or less like NCL's freestyle. On some of our cruises with Princess, we wanted traditional dining, but were unable to get it (sold out by the time we booked), so we ended up with "anytime". On some ships, the dining room staff allowed us to make a standing reservation for the same time/same table for the entire cruise. For us it was nice, as we got to pick when we wanted to eat, and had the pleasure of having the same table staff take care of us each evening. To me, that is (was) one of the best parts of cruising.

Can you do that on NCL--make a standing reservation at one of the main (free) dining rooms for the same table/wait staff?

No, you really can't make a reservation that includes the same table/wait staff. They rotate the servers among the venues.

The Princess "Anytime" dining still requires you to dress to meet their one to two "formal nights", delegating those of us who will never "dress for dinner" on vacation to second-class status. Getting dressed up for dinner reminds me far too much of work, and vacations are supposed to be the opposite of work (I wore a suit and tie for 14 years, and do not associate it with "getting fancy" or being "high class"). Because this rule is a biggie with me, on Princess I have to eat one or two dinners at the buffet (which I loathe) or order in room service, with its limited options.

Others have a different view, and they have plenty of lines to choose from. To each his own, but for me, its Freestyle whenever we can cruise.

My cousin got married and her husband to be wore t-shirt and shorts to the outside wedding. I understand that he is quite bohemian:rolleyes:.

I can understand a casual wedding (my DD and her fiance are quite the Bohemians. Although, thank God there will be no jeans/shorts at this wedding. I think I would have heart failure)..it's more the jeans-at-the-funeral that kinda upset me...

I guess it shouldn't though. The deceased obviously doesn't care.

The main cutbacks happened long ago when Freestyle was implemented after Star Cruises took over NCL. Service in the MDR was the main cut for those of us who like traditional dining. Many folks like the freedom to eat at a time they choose, but the personal attention suffers.

I have no problem with a set time dinner time with the waiters getting to know me and my tablemates to form a bond. It is what makes a cruise vacation special over a land based one. I have no problem packing and wearing decent clothes for a vacation. If NCL can achieve the balance that pleases both groups, they will have obtained the formula that will propel them beyond the number three cruise line.

There are plenty of cruise lines with rules for dining (traditional). I am one that embraces freestyle. I don't need singing and dancing waiters to remember my name and that I like iced tea no lemon for me to enjoy my meal.

:eek: Do people actually DO that????

Not sure whether you are serious or not with this question. But I will assume you are.

Yes we were at 2 weddings just this summer. One in a hall and one in a church and yes there were jeans.

As for funerals too many times than I care to count. Some look like they just came in from working in their gardens. Not dirty, I just mean the choice of clothing.

When I first seen this thread...I thought I was going to go back to when I first started cruising (in the 80's). What I missed was the wonderful midnight buffet of food with all the displays and carvings. Nostalgia. Ahhh :) I know they still have "food" at that time and they still do the chocolate buffet now...but not the same.

When I first seen this thread...I thought I was going to go back to when I first started cruising (in the 80's). What I missed was the wonderful midnight buffet of food with all the displays and carvings. Nostalgia. Ahhh :) I know they still have "food" at that time and they still do the chocolate buffet now...but not the same.

Does NCL (or any line) still do the champagne waterfall one evening?

No I waited for the main entree .

I did mention the lobster that was overcooked to our waiter though.

Hi Carrie :)

In looking over your posts, it appears that you're from the NY area. If that's so, then probably the lobster you have had is cold water lobster - a cousin of the lobster served aboard Norwegian. Although they are cousins, warm water lobster tends to be tough and taste overcooked. I have never had the experience of lobster on a luxury line, but I think it would be very difficult for a mass market line to cook warm water lobster and at the same time make it palatable for hundreds of people.

I lived on a boat for 5 years and we wintered each year for 6 months in the Bahamas. We had lots of Caribbean lobster (warm water without claws). After many attempts, I finally figured out how to cook it so that it very closely resembled Maine lobster.

Anyway, long story short, if you are unhappy with your food, ask for a replacement or a change and I hope your hubby is feeling better :).

Cinci

It is not like the cruise lines can pay the staff any less. Cuts have to come from somewhere. Thank the oily sheiks, slimy Wall St. gamblers, and nation building politicians for the high oil prices.

I won't get into any political debates but it does have to do with salaries as well (at least in Canada). Perhaps not the ships salaries (although I'm sure they have had increases as well) but the land salaries that jack up the prices of the items brought on ship as well. It's a vicious circle. People need to be paid more on land to afford what they need to purchase. Wholesalers, retailers etc have to raise prices to cover goods and salaries. It's called inflation.

But I will agree on one thing, "the cuts have to come from somewhere", and no they most certainly can't cut salaries.

Since I won't get into a debate about who's "fault" it is. I will say it is what it is.

It is not like the cruise lines can pay the staff any less. Cuts have to come from somewhere. Thank the oily sheiks, slimy Wall St. gamblers, and nation building politicians for the high oil prices.

Pssst. You forgot about the environmentalists that won't let us drill our own huge supply of oil.

It is the first formal night, but it really doesn't make any difference, they do it and it is really fun to watch..

NIta

One of my favorite pictures in our house is of our kids pouring champagne into the very top of the "waterfall". Both of the kids are dressed up as it was formal night. While I suppose the whole thing is a bit dated and perhaps in today's world kind of a cliche', I agree that it was a lot of fun, and a nice memory. Glad to hear Princess is still hanging on to that tradition, and it has not yet been put on the cost-cutting chopping block.

Archived